Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork tubes or fork tube extensions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 03:17 AM
newjack66
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fork tubes or fork tube extensions

Hi all

I have been researching this topic and am undecided. Any advice from forum members will save me time, 'hopefully' money and maintain safety.

Attached is a photo of my 2005 FXST softail. I have a 2 inch DK Customs lift kit, mini apes & 1 inch lower rear.

Can I maintain the stock tree & raise the front by 2 inches to give the bike more of a classic chopper look.

I have seen 2 & 3 inch fork extensions used on Honda Furys to great effect.

But are tubes safer?

I like to do my own work as well. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Fork tubes or fork tube extensions-02.jpg  
Old 07-31-2014, 05:19 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good morning my friend. I am like you when it comes to setting up my bike. I lowered the rear of rocker by inch and a half using prog. Shocks. Lowered and moved back seat two inches with new dg seat with saddle gel. Raised my tank two inches with dk lift kit. I put a progres. Front spring kit in the front for 90 dollars. One of the best and cheapezt upgrades i did. Took one hour to install. The front kit made the bike ride much better, handle better And eliminated two inches of sag in the front end!!! The stock springs are not good (being kind here...lol) and do not have enough strenght to keep the front up and in the correct position.
I would change them first.
Next, i have another bike with two inche fork extentions and they work just fine, if you can find them...i have been lokking for my rocker and have not comexacross them...
I also have been looking into getting into new, longer front forks, but it not simple, pricey and very limited vendors...
After chaging the front springs and eliminating two inches of sag, its not a top priority...my hd mechanic buddy, measured the front height before and after...two inches higher with the new spring kit!!! In the front.
Good luck and ride safe.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:44 AM
newjack66
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rodzilla6
Good morning my friend. I am like you when it comes to setting up my bike. I lowered the rear of rocker by inch and a half using prog. Shocks. Lowered and moved back seat two inches with new dg seat with saddle gel. Raised my tank two inches with dk lift kit. I put a progres. Front spring kit in the front for 90 dollars. One of the best and cheapezt upgrades i did. Took one hour to install. The front kit made the bike ride much better, handle better And eliminated two inches of sag in the front end!!! The stock springs are not good (being kind here...lol) and do not have enough strenght to keep the front up and in the correct position.
I would change them first.
Next, i have another bike with two inche fork extentions and they work just fine, if you can find them...i have been lokking for my rocker and have not comexacross them...
I also have been looking into getting into new, longer front forks, but it not simple, pricey and very limited vendors...
After chaging the front springs and eliminating two inches of sag, its not a top priority...my hd mechanic buddy, measured the front height before and after...two inches higher with the new spring kit!!! In the front.
Good luck and ride safe.
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like your setup would work well for me. Your right about the front springs they are average lol.

Ive tracked down a couple of vendors on eBay that sell 2 inch extensions. About the 70 us dollars for billet items.

Tubes are pretty pricey especially to ship them to Australia. But if I get the springs changed then that might be cost effective if it gives me a lift and improves handling.

Cheers for your ideas.

Darren.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:33 AM
AK47
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try forking by frank, i looked into doing the same thing for a while. Prices are not that bad shipping might kill ya though.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:28 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Forks by Frank - That's who I would use also if going with new forks...Highly recommended...
Ps I used SE heavy weight fork oil also...

Old 07-31-2014, 06:11 PM
newjack66
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AK47
Try forking by frank, i looked into doing the same thing for a while. Prices are not that bad shipping might kill ya though.
OK thank you will do.

Cheers

Old 07-31-2014, 06:12 PM
newjack66
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rodzilla6
Forks by Frank - That's who I would use also if going with new forks...Highly recommended...
Ps I used SE heavy weight fork oil also...
Yep will look him up now.

Found these on ebay emailed the guy said they would fit stock trees and tubes on my Softail.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131243240318...84.m1423.l2649