Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD "Premium Ride" Cartridge Fork Kit 45500141 or something aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 09:52 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default HD "Premium Ride" Cartridge Fork Kit 45500141 or something aftermarket?

I've put Shotgun Shocks in my fatboy, and now when riding twisties I have the suspension much firmer than stock. I'm noticing a lot of dive in the front end when using the front brake even moderately enthusiastically. I'd like to stiffen that up if possible.

I'll bear in mind suggestions regarding replacing the oil with SE or something else, but I'm thinking more of a hardware solution.

Has anybody had experience of the HD cartridges? How do they compare with other manufacturer's solutions (eg. the Progressive monotube cartridge)? What if they were the same price?

Old 08-01-2014, 10:08 AM
Melman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I lowered my wife's S/G I did it with 1" shorter seat, shocks, and fork springs. I found that it would bottom a lot on big bumps so I just switched to a thicker fork oil and it solved the issue. I know you want to go the "Hardware" route but I'm just wondering why? It's not something I normally hear people really discussing when talking about a H-D's.

(I am curious though as to what is available).

Old 08-01-2014, 03:38 PM
cpc0812
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Progressive monotubes. Makes a world of difference.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:20 PM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Heres my experience with my rocker - I changed the front springs to a Prog. spring kit which cost 90 bucks...Just comparing the stock "springs" to the Prog. you could see a big diff...After they were installed (1 hour...not including beer drinking...), it eliminated 2 inches of sag in the front end, road better and cornered wayyyy better. I used SE heavy weight fork oil which I like. It ended up being my best mod to date, dollar for dollar or if you prefer, pound to pound...LOL. This was not the cartridges but a complete spring kit.
I wish I had done it much sooner...Ride safe.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:32 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 1004ron
I ordered the monotubes and installed them this afternoon - the dive on applying the front brake most certainly appears better - I feel it's a fair improvement all round, but haven't used it long enough to give an honest review.

Progressive Suspension 31-2503 Monotube Fork Cartridge Stock Height Kit for FXST $158.42
I've had these on my NT for a few weeks now and really happy with them - the main areas of improvement I find is the 100% cure to the wallowing on high speed corners, and very little dive on aggressive front braking.

These are basically an inverted front shock system housed inside the original front suspension.
I feel that the dampening plays a major role in the stability and control.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:08 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Did the thicker oil in forks thing. It did help a little, not much. Installed Ricor Intimidators and HUGE improvement with brake dive, eliminates the small/med harshness from bumps, front end planes level when accelerating, improved overall cornering speed in twisties, more confidence. Going to install Race Tech constant rate springs next with the Ricors. You choose the spring rate according to your weight, its not a one size fits all like monotubes. When reading monotube reviews be sure to understand if the review is from a lowered bike or not. The springs in the lowered monotubes compared to stock monotubes are completely different as one is progressive, the other is not. Also know the riders weight since it is a "one size fits all" spring rate, regardless of riders weight and riders preference for soft ride or firm ride.

Google ricor intimidators for more info.

http://cycleguidemagazine.blogspot.c...ator-fork.html

btw - I had SS installed with the ricors, they play well together.