Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone regret their purchase?

Old 08-13-2014, 11:10 AM
Melman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to add to Bluraven's post...I've owned a few Harley's and have always done well with the resale value. I recently traded my '05 Ultra (which I paid $18,000 for new) and the dealership gave me $11,000 as a trade on my '14 Ultra Limited. The nice thing about trading-in is you don't pay tax on the trade-in amount just the difference so you can tack on another $660.00 or 6% of the $11,000.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:21 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ctluba
Most dealers have a whole line of used bikes with very low miles with quite a savings over brand new. Besides that, no other thoughts.

Good luck with your purchase.
Sorry, but I've seen the exact opposite up here! Used bikes at the dealer are outrageously priced, probably so the customer thinks " for 3k more I can have a new one"

Old 08-13-2014, 11:26 AM
kaizoku
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pa-Rider
Just curious, but why so?
Poor stock handling, B motor and lack of being able to run mid controls without spending an excessive amount of money.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:29 AM
deezy139
Cruiser

I definitely had those "**** what did I just do?!" moments when I bought my Slim, but I'm reminded why every time it get on it... Especially when I'm enjoying something about it that was a downfall of my old sporty. Sure there's a few things that need to change for it to be a 10 year bike for me, but at the end of the day I still find the permagrin on my face when I and walking in from a ride.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:52 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I've owned a half of dozen Harleys and I don't regret any of them. I currently have two newer modded softails and they are totally worth it

Originally Posted by kaizoku
Poor stock handling, B motor and lack of being able to run mid controls without spending an excessive amount of money.

Hindsight is 20/20.
Did you test ride the bike first? That seems like something you would have noticed right away especially since it is a known fact that softail have counterbalanced engines. But if you want out of a softail and into a dyna that seems like an easy fix since Dynas cost significantly less than a softail especially used ones.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-14-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:01 PM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Poor st

Hindsight is 20/20.
Poor stock handling? Wow, I think it handles like a sportbike.

B motor? Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the 14 Dyna have the same 103 in it?

Old 08-13-2014, 12:04 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jpowell490
Poor st

B motor? Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the 14 Dyna have the same 103 in it?
Dynas, sportsters, and tourers all have A rubber mounted engines

Old 08-13-2014, 12:24 PM
JiXeR
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's my .02....do i 'regret' purchasing my '14 breakout? not one single f@#$ing bit. i love my bike. every time i ride it, i'm reminded just how much i love my bike.

...that being said.....

make sure that you are aware just how pricey that bike is going to be. this was my first harley and i wasn't quite prepared for just how expensive it was going to be to get all the things done that i wanted. i never really modded much on my crotch rockets. so, it came as a bit of a shock to my system when i started doing my modding on my breakout. that doesn't mean that i wouldn't do it all over again...that just means, i wish i would have been a little more prepared for that shock. you can pretty much gaurantee that you're going to want a stage 1....so, make sure you're ready for around a grand right off the bat. also make sure that you are FULLY comfortable with the ride. what i mean by that, the breakout is great for looks, not so hot for comfort. i had to dish out for some forward control extensions because i'm a tall guy ($600) and a new seat because the stock one sucked ($350). now, it's muuuuuuuuuch better, but still a little strain on the back for long rides because of the bars and the wind. so, i'm now looking at either a fairing ($1200) or apes (no idea on total price). so, just make sure you leave enough room in your budget for the things that will come up.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:25 PM
kaizoku
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tailsfrommycrib
Did you test ride the bike first? That seems like something you would have noticed right away especially since it is a known fact that softail have counterbalanced engines. But if you want out of a softail and into a dyna that seems like an easy fix since Dynas cost significantly less than a softail especially used ones.
I did. Some things don't make themselves apparent until a few hundred miles and more research later. Still like my Blackline, but compared to a Street Bob...I'd rather have the Street Bob.

Originally Posted by jpowell490
Poor st

A stock softail handling like a sport bike? In what parallel dimension?

Old 08-13-2014, 12:39 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member

I did. Some things don't make themselves apparent until a few hundred miles and more research later. Still like my Blackline, but compared to a Street Bob...I'd rather have the Street Bob.

A stock softail handling like a sport bike? In what parallel dimension?
You could definitely pick up a gently used newer street bob for fairly cheap and you could either trade in your blackline or sale it outright. I bought and sold more than a dozen motorcycles before I found the right one for me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anyone regret their purchase?