Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone regret their purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 02:02 PM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kaizoku
I did. Some things don't make themselves apparent until a few hundred miles and more research later. Still like my Blackline, but compared to a Street Bob...I'd rather have the Street Bob.

A stock softail handling like a sport bike? In what parallel dimension?
I've got a 2010 FXDC and a 2013 FB Lo and happen to agree with you.
There are some things you don't know until you've lived with them for a while.

The Dyna seems quicker and more nimble, no B motor to rob power so they wind up quicker and are quicker handling I guess because of the weight and frame geometry. The way the Dyna's transmission is mated to the engine also does not rob power. I happen to like the shaking at idle of the rubber mounted engine...seems more Harley-esque if that can be a word.

All that being said, the Softail still looks great, gives you a solid, planted ride at highway speed and the comfort of floorboards. Both bikes are great. Depends on what floats your boat more.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:21 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

I don't have enough miles on my new FBLo to make that determination yet. I had a Heritage Softail Classic for about 18 months and then went to a Road King for 10 years. Now after a 2 year hiatus from riding, I decided to go back to a Softail. In in the month that I've owned it, I have only had the time to go on 2 day rides and both times they killed my *** (tail bone). I'm pretty sure that once I get a new seat, it will make the ride MUCH better. Looking at Corbin, Danny Gray, and C&C but haven't made up my mind yet.

I don't think anyone is able to tell their B motor is robbing power. The Dyna is more nimble because of the frame design and definitely faster because it's lighter.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:24 PM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

OP,
been through a couple different bikes in the past 18 months, just sold off two too go back to a slim, like I said back to a slim! cost me but you live n learn the slim fits me right out of the box. It is an expensive sport,hobby, toy. all the same as previously posted. only regret was selling the slim in the first place lol
I'd still have three bikes then and only issue would be which one to ride

permagrin, !!!

Last edited by rowan; 08-13-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:24 PM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try an Air Hawk air pad for your longer rides. They work great.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:09 PM
Rhino-1
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rowan
OP,
been through a couple different bikes in the past 18 months, just sold off two too go back to a slim, like I said back to a slim! cost me but you live n learn the slim fits me right out of the box. It is an expensive sport,hobby, toy. all the same as previously posted. only regret was selling the slim in the first place lol
I'd still have three bikes then and only issue would be which one to ride

permagrin, !!!
Dang... I did something very similar to get back on a Springer... LOL!

Seriously, though, in the grand scheme of things, 20k for a beautiful bike like a Harley is not that big an investment. People are paying more for cookie cutter t"basic transportation" cars that will depreciate by half 6 months into their ownership... Get your Breakout, without regrets, and live a little...

Old 08-13-2014, 04:07 PM
usmcbuck
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jersey Drew
about to go try and make a deal at the dealership. looking at a breakout, have ridden it and like the ride and styling but can't get over the price of these things. $20k isn seems so crazy to me, but i really like the bike.

thoughts?

You are already mentally into it this far, you know you want it, its a Harley-Davidson my brother. There is no other brand of bike in the world that will ever live up to what a Harley is. Don't sell yourself short, get the real deal, live your life how you want it to be. They are not cheap and not going to get any cheaper. They hold resale like no other brand, if you take pride and take care of it, they will last as long as you do. Nobody looks twice at any other brand of bike but they always make a point to check out a Harley. Don't be the one wishing and just looking, be the one being looked at and carry yourself with pride. Because you will have what 99% of other bikers really want that don't have..... a Harley-Davidson...the real F'n deal.

Did I tell ya that I luv my Harley, you can look at her but please don't touch her cause she's mine.....all mine.
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3916/...96f118ac_b.jpg

Old 08-13-2014, 05:08 PM
4_stroke
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never regretted buying my FatBoy, just regret leaving it so long. I prefer the classic models though. I am not a fan of the newer crossover type parts bin specials models.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:11 PM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,097 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by kaizoku
I did. Some things don't make themselves apparent until a few hundred miles and more research later. Still like my Blackline, but compared to a Street Bob...I'd rather have the Street Bob

I feel your pain...my Heritage is 10x more comfortable to ride but damn, I miss my '09 Street Bob...the fun factor is gone.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:03 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,461 Likes on 5,663 Posts

Had a Dyna LR for years and loved it. I'm pushing 50 and just bought a Fatboy. I could not be happier.

Yeah, the Lowrider was nimble, fast, and uncomfortable as hell to be on for more than about 100 miles + a day. It was like owning a sports car. The Fatboy is like owning a nice Cadillac. More my style now that I'm getting older. Heck, 20 years from now, I'll have an ultra or a trike...

The difference between a Dyna and a softail, is like the difference between a 2-dr BMW car and a 4-dr BMW car... The 4-drs might not be as nimble or quick off the line, but they'll up and scoot when you want them to. Still more than enough... You will be pleasantly surprised. They look as good if not better, and your @$$ will thank you after you've been in the saddle for a few hours.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:28 PM
dirtyike
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just traded in my 08 Deluxe and got a 2014 CVO Deluxe. I only had the Deluxe for a year and practically broke even and was not upside on the purchase. I really wanted the 2014 and the thought of paying that much for a motorcycle scared the crap out of me, I even left the dealer making sure I could get the best deal and to think it over.

After I made the purchase and rode that 110 w/ vance and Hines pipes I know I made the right decision.

If you were to go USED I recommend getting the service contract, my 08 had a few problems that in 9 months they paid out about $1200 in repairs, hotels, etc and I only paid $1500 for. The best part was when I traded in the bike they refunded me about $900 since I only used up 1 of 3 years on my service contract.

Quick Reply: anyone regret their purchase?