Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple shifter rod change with unexpected benefit

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 07:44 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

JimG, I'm guessing you are or were an engineer, school teacher or originally from California, am I close?

Old 08-18-2014, 01:01 AM
Crazy Biker
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks Good except for Arlen Ness name on it.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:13 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 193 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by checkers
JimG, I'm guessing you are or were an engineer, school teacher or originally from California, am I close?
Mechanical engineer & engineering physicist. Manufacturing executive for 13 years, and now contract IT consultant. I have never lived in California and hesitate to even consider contract opportunities there.

A lot of the Californians are now moving here to Texas where we still believe a man makes his own destiny and his own living, where a solid 2% of the adults legally carry concealed firearms, and where our current governor (not his bodyguards) shot a marauding coyote during his morning run.

Jim G

Old 08-18-2014, 06:15 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Crazy Biker
Looks Good except for Arlen Ness name on it.
Yes, I agree. I had hoped that it could be installed "inside out" so that the "Arlen Ness" script could be hidden, but as I pointed out in the first posting in this thread, the inside hole diameters are different than the outside hole diameters.

Jim G

Old 08-18-2014, 06:44 AM
Nickdawg18
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do they make one for the +3 forward control extensions?

Old 08-18-2014, 01:45 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Nickdawg18
Do they make one for the +3 forward control extensions?
No idea. Sorry.

Jim G

Old 08-18-2014, 03:47 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Couple pieces of advice in choosing and installing after market rods. First, watch the overall weight of the rod, if its too heavy you may find the bike shifting on it's own when you hit a bump. Second, when installing these rods make sure they are are parallel to your bike or they may bind. My 2 cents.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:50 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Couple pieces of advice in choosing and installing after market rods. First, watch the overall weight of the rod, if its too heavy you may find the bike shifting on it's own when you hit a bump. Second, when installing these rods make sure they are are parallel to your bike or they may bind. My 2 cents.
Thanks, Mark! I had no idea that some of the non-alloy-billet ones can get heavy enough to have sufficient inertia to "self-shift"!

The parallel comment is also a good one. The Arlen Ness rod I installed came with that spacer for the front end of it specifically to attain parallelism.

Jim G

Old 08-18-2014, 07:13 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Mechanical engineer & engineering physicist. Manufacturing executive for 13 years, and now contract IT consultant. I have never lived in California and hesitate to even consider contract opportunities there.

A lot of the Californians are now moving here to Texas where we still believe a man makes his own destiny and his own living, where a solid 2% of the adults legally carry concealed firearms, and where our current governor (not his bodyguards) shot a marauding coyote during his morning run.

Jim G
I was "pulling your chain" I have been in customer service for many years and my stress relief hobby is to try to guess what career a person has or had or where they are from. Your posts are entertaining, but I have A.D.D. and have not finished reading any of them.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:46 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by checkers
I was "pulling your chain" I have been in customer service for many years and my stress relief hobby is to try to guess what career a person has or had or where they are from. Your posts are entertaining, but I have A.D.D. and have not finished reading any of them.
Just for you, I'll start using more of a "newspaper article" type format. In that classical model (which most modern journalists have apparently not even heard of), the headline and first couple of paragraphs give the summary content for the whole article. Each subsequent paragraph gives progressive more of the details. Then, if the reader is interested, he or she can read as far down the article as their level of interest and detail mandate.

Jim G

Quick Reply: Simple shifter rod change with unexpected benefit