Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decel pop and Powervision

Old 08-18-2014, 09:38 AM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. This might be a learning experience for a lot of us or at least me

Old 08-18-2014, 10:06 AM
PikeAl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for what it's worth...The decel popping I still have is only when going through RPM ranges that were not modified during my autotune sessions...for example...when I downshift at certain rpm ranges i'll get some...but I know that the couple of times that I did the autotune sessions I was riding in traffic and didn't have the opportunity to ride too hard.

When riding in conditions similar to those when I ran the autotune I get no decel popping. That's why I mentioned to run it a few times and vary the riding style. this will insure that all of the table is modified. that's why it takes a few times.

I never went in and fiddled with it manually using the PC software as I don't know enough and really don't want to screw it up. From my limited experience...the autotune will address just about all the issues given the opportunity to address them.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:44 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PikeAl
for what it's worth...The decel popping I still have is only when going through RPM ranges that were not modified during my autotune sessions...for example...when I downshift at certain rpm ranges i'll get some...but I know that the couple of times that I did the autotune sessions I was riding in traffic and didn't have the opportunity to ride too hard.

When riding in conditions similar to those when I ran the autotune I get no decel popping. That's why I mentioned to run it a few times and vary the riding style. this will insure that all of the table is modified. that's why it takes a few times.

I never went in and fiddled with it manually using the PC software as I don't know enough and really don't want to screw it up. From my limited experience...the autotune will address just about all the issues given the opportunity to address them.
Sorry, I thought you meant temperature, altitude etc. But you're right: In order to hit all the areas of the map, you'll need to ride outside your normal range. So that includes some racing it in low gears, and keeping the revs high at low throttle and revs low at high throttle (within reason). Short steep hills, up and down, are good for the latter. There are some good guides on things to do to help hit all the cells in the ECM forum (in the tech section). And don't restrict yourself to just the PV thread; both the TTS and SEPST stuff applies too.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:55 AM
Mathis
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by atlantaallen
I'm betting that although all of us swear by powervision, a lot of us don't know how to use it past downloading a preprogramed map.
Not necessarily.

Run the Auto Tune a few times - that's what it's for.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:58 PM
asputin
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When i first installed my pv2,I had slight decel poping.I called fuel moto and talked to a guy(forgot his name) we downloaded a small increase in fuel at low rpm.problem solved.10k and ive never even plugged mine back into the bike,no auto tune either..

Old 08-18-2014, 01:26 PM
Mathis
Tourer

I thought my Heritage ran pretty good with the Fuel Pak. Then, I bought a Power Vision and it ran better. Then, I ran the Auto-Tune a couple times on the Power Vision and it ran better still. It may or may not make a difference for everyone. Sometimes you don't know until you try. IMO

Old 08-18-2014, 05:48 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Subscribed

Old 08-18-2014, 09:33 PM
asputin
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The auto-tune is 360 on top of the 500 for pv-2. not worth it IMO

Old 08-18-2014, 09:52 PM
Mathis
Tourer

Originally Posted by asputin
The auto-tune is 360 on top of the 500 for pv-2. not worth it IMO
Not the hardware Auto-tune, but there's a "mode" to set the PV to, to assess what your bike is doing and it creates a map based on your data, not a canned map, based on what someone thinks you need. It works well.

Go online and read the instructions on how to do it and it will become clear.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:17 AM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in pretty good shape now. I recently had to send my PV unit into Fuel Moto because it locked up. They were very helpful and returned it good as new promptly.

When I got it back, I installed Win PV on my pc and logged on to the Dynovision website to download some tunes into the unit. Since they didn't have a tune for Kromewerks on the list, I downloaded to the unit 3 tunes with V&H, Rinehart, and Bub 7's shown as the slip on mufflers. I then went for a ride to try each tune.

The tune for the Rineharts was the best. Nearly all decel pop gone and bike running good. Tomorrow I will start autotuning. Thanks for all the input. I'm starting to learn how to use this thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Decel pop and Powervision