Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decel pop and Powervision

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 07:12 AM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Decel pop and Powervision

I still have some decel pop with the preloaded program I am using on Powervision.

Can this be reduced by using Quicktune to increase fuel in the decel area?

or

Do I have to go to Autotune Pro to address this.

How did you handle it. Thanks.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:21 AM
PikeAl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still had some after I used the canned map from Powervision...a few autotune sessions will significantly reduce the decel popping. You should do it a few times in different riding conditions....short trips...longer trips...etc.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:57 AM
BlueGhost1963
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting ready to add some new pipes and was wondering about this myself.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:50 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PikeAl
I still had some after I used the canned map from Powervision...a few autotune sessions will significantly reduce the decel popping. You should do it a few times in different riding conditions....short trips...longer trips...etc.
You'd actually be best off trying to cover the entire map in exactly the same conditions so that the map is consistent all the way through. Otherwise the AFV values used when the bike is in open loop will be incorrect. Closed-loop will keep the rest in sync as temperature, altitude, fuel mix etc change over time but only if all the VE entries are self-consistent.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:55 AM
atlantaallen
Road Captain

Originally Posted by peg20
You'd actually be best off trying to cover the entire map in exactly the same conditions so that the map is consistent all the way through. Otherwise the AFV values used when the bike is in open loop will be incorrect. Closed-loop will keep the rest in sync as temperature, altitude, fuel mix etc change over time but only if all the VE entries are self-consistent.
So if you tweak, tweak globally? or do you mean something else?

Old 08-18-2014, 08:58 AM
peg20
Road Master

Never tweak VE tables. Let the tuning runs fix them and don't fiddle. If you want to manually adjust AFR, then use the AFR tables. That's what they are there for.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:22 AM
atlantaallen
Road Captain

I was thinking more about the fuel tab in quick tune. Adding fuel to the decel area.

This a trial and error thing at least for me.

I'm betting that although all of us swear by powervision, a lot of us don't know how to use it past downloading a preprogramed map.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:26 AM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peg20
Err, I think in closed loop the ECU ignores the altitude and temp sensors.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:28 AM
peg20
Road Master

Trial and error is a great way to screw up the tune completely. Go back to your downloaded tune.

Then chose (based at this stage on other people's recommendations) your AFR tables (and CLBs depending on the age of the bike). Keep the majority of the cruising range in closed loop.

Then vtune/autotune (I forget the correct term) until the VEs don't change (at least more than a few %).

If you still have decel pop, then check first for leaks around the exhaust manifold using an incense stick or something.

If you still have decel pop after that, then come back to us. There are a number of ways to resolve AFTER trying all the above, but it depends on what the symptoms are at that point; it could be that due to reversion, air is getting sucked back up the pipe and confusing the sensor so that the measured VE is wrong, or it could be that the timing is too conservative, etc. But get the rest sorted out first before you start guessing.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:29 AM
peg20
Road Master

Originally Posted by fatboy slim
Err, I think in closed loop the ECU ignores the altitude and temp sensors.
In closed loop, the O2 sensors will give feedback about the mix (which varies with altitude and temperature) and it uses this to adjust the mix across both open and closed loop.

Quick Reply: Decel pop and Powervision