Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage vs. DeLuxe

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 05:56 PM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I've owned both. Aside from cosmetic differences here's what I found. I started with the Deluxe because I loved the look - seemed classic Harley. I was riding the bike for longer distances than other bikes largely because of the very smooth balanced engine and partly because of the comfort. All was good. The bike was the 2009 cobalt/white color - very sharp look. I added some mods (quick detach rear seat backrest for the wife), XiED to control the summer heat (highly recommended - see my prior review), and the rear brake light conversion making the turn signals red and working in tandem with the brake light.

The bike looked great, but I soon realized that the Deluxe is VERY low to the ground and I wasn't able to lean the bike as much as I liked in turns without scraping the floorboards. I also found that not having bags was like having pants without pockets, and since I was riding longer distances I wanted storage.

That's when I swapped into a 2011 Heritage classic. I added quick release bag mounts (Heritage Flat Top & Lock Kit-88373-10A), along with quick release back rest release (H-D Detachables Side Plates - Part Number 53815-00). Also added Harley Bag liners/locks (Lockset for Heritage Flat Top & Lock Kit-90300010; . That was a great addition. Allowed me to lock the bags with the same key as the ignition, and to also keep the bags in their original shape with the bag liners.

The Heritage was more comfortable for two up riding, let me lean a bit more (but not a whole lot more), and worked well enough. In the end, I found that I didn't use the bags all that much - I just loaded a bunch of "stuff" that I thought I'd need, but really didn't (rain gear/tools/first aid kit/etc.).

In the end even though the Heritage worked better for me, I missed the Deluxe. The look was cleaner, the rear tail light assembly in particular was very well done, and the cobalt color was amazingly rich. The 2014 CVO Softail has a similar color, but it still isn't as good a color combo as the 2009 model I had.

Truth be told, I grew a bit tired of the Heritage. It was a fine machine, but things changed. My wife didn't go riding with me as much, the bike looked good, but not as good as the Deluxe, and the newer models with the 103 engine had more grunt where I needed it. I also found that even though the weight of the Heritage is far more manageable than the Road King (the only Harley I've wanted but not yet owned), the Heritage, at least for me, wasn't quite what I wanted.

I sold it and now have a 2014 Low Rider. I now realize what was missing with the Heritage - the handlebars. I'm 5'7" - the Heritage bar angles weren't ideal for me - I was constantly reaching for them to get control. That got tiring, probably why I fell out of love with the bike. The new Low Rider has amazingly easy to adjust risers/bars - and it fits me FAR better making me more comfortable, especially on long rides. Yes, it's not as striking as the Deluxe, but it leans far better, is more comfortable and the 103 engine is a delight. I sometimes miss the balanced Softail engines, but not very often.

All in all I think the Heritage is the right bike, but be sure to equip it as you will use it, and definitely check into handlebars and other comfort toys. If I had done that I might still have it. Then again, I really loved the look of the Deluxe - still do.

Either way, you'll have a fine machine. Enjoy.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:01 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
Right, if you swap out the stock exhaust.
Unfortunately, this ^^.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:04 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Btw, just finished the LeatherPro FXDXT Retro T-Sport bag installation. Pics to come as soon as I finish the turn signal relocation. What a bitch that is.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:32 AM
Triple M
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just recently traded my 2010 Heritage for a CVO Softail. Before that when I bought mine I was looking at a Deluxe and a Fatboy Lo (the reason-I'm short).
I ended up with the Heritage because of the windshield, saddlebags and passenger backrest. I then bought a deluxe riser to bring the bars back and the switched out the bars for better reach. I lowered the bike an inch and put quick release on the backrest. Then i noticed that when I wanted to convert to a single rider, (remove the bags, passenger seat, backrest and windshield) the bike looked great until...............................I looked from the back. The OEM seat was so wide that without the bags it stuck out and the turn signals were designed to to be in the middle of the bags. Many people say that you can trim it down and it is great looking but I think you need to change out the seat and the rear turn signal.
Don't get me wrong, I loved the Heritage and if you want a bike that is set to cruise with bags, windshield etc, you can't get a better deal than the Heritage.
If I was looking today for a new bike......................it would be a Deluxe because it would fit me a little better, it is built without bags and windshield so it looks great without them and you can add the ones that you like for when you need them.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:28 AM
Norms 427
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep, if you like the Heritage bags, sissy bar and w/shield (which I do) then the Heritage is a FAR better deal ... unless you have to have the styling of the Deluxe.

But compare the Heritage to the Road King and the Road King wins for content and price with standard hard bags + standard cruise control.

Go figure ...

Old 08-23-2014, 10:51 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Norms 427
Yep, if you like the Heritage bags, sissy bar and w/shield (which I do) then the Heritage is a FAR better deal ... unless you have to have the styling of the Deluxe.

But compare the Heritage to the Road King and the Road King wins for content and price with standard hard bags + standard cruise control.

Go figure ...
You nailed the cause of my dilemma...I love the style of the Deluxe, but I want bags and a windshield when I need them, without having to shell out another grand. Make that a grand plus.

The RK is a good looking bike, but in my view I'm giving up a counterbalanced motor for hard bags, and I'm not a hard bags guy. Can you put quick disconnects on the RK bags?

Old 08-23-2014, 12:08 PM
Kyser13
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone get a C&C seat and hate it I'M in the market to get a seat for my Deluxe. I seen lots of reviews for every seat under the sun. I'm 6ft and jammed up on this mother....plus the seat sucks *** after 200mi. I'm thinking SOLO with passenger too. Anyone have their OL on one of their passenger pillions just hate that or love it? Mines skinny...OL that is.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:16 PM
Work0rDie
Intermediate

I frequently remove the windshield, bags and racks from my 2012 Heritage Classic and ... voila...I have a Deuce.

Now, if I can find a deal on some Cholo True Duals....

Last edited by Work0rDie; 08-23-2014 at 01:18 PM. Reason: removed the html codes
Old 09-20-2014, 06:17 PM
infrared41
Novice

Just my 2 cents...

I ride a 2014 HSC and my GF rides a 2014 Deluxe. Like others have pointed out, the HSC comes with bags, windshield etc. But there are other differences, at least with our bikes anyway. Stock off the showroom floor, the Deluxe sits lower, the handlebars are lower, and it feels a tad smaller than the HSC. If you're 6' or taller, I'd recommend the HSC solely because it sits taller and feels bigger.

If memory serves, I believe the Deluxe has a slightly shorter wheelbase and it's lighter. Overall, a Deluxe is a bit smaller than a HSC - but the difference isn't much.

That said, having ridden both bikes, you can't go wrong either way. I'm just thankful that we're fortunate enough to have one of each in the garage. Then again, all things being equal, if Road Kings are 100 bucks cheaper than HSCs, the Road King is a fine choice too.

For what it's worth, when we bought the GF's Deluxe, we were able to get the bags thrown in for free (it already had a windshield.) Might be worth a try.

Last edited by infrared41; 09-20-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:22 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

With every passing day this gets more complicated.

I sat on a Road King Police the other day. I can sit on my Super Glide with both feet flat on the ground, easily. On the Road King Police I was up on the ***** of both feet. There sure as heck wouldn't be any problem with ground clearance and cornering with that bad boy.

I'm in the dealership yesterday and saw another white Road King. But...wait...something's not right. There's no "Road King" on the front fender. Brain locked up for another second or two, and then it hit me; Switchback.

Is the Road King and the Switchback essentially the same bike, or what?

Quick Reply: Heritage vs. DeLuxe