Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust baffle question for V&H BSS

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 06:09 PM
waverly
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust baffle question for V&H BSS

So, I am a soon to be softail slim owner, coming off a 2012 street bob. Test rode one this week and loved it! Put it on hold a day later, and will probably seal the deal this coming week.

Heres my question- I had the V&H short shots with Big City Thunder QQ baffles on the street bob and liked the sound, not too obnoxious. I am going to put on the big Shots staggered on the slim and am wondering if I should order the BCT QQ's again, or try the standard V&H baffles? I know the BSS are a little quieter than the SS, so maybe someone with some experience can point me in the right direction?

Just wondering if :

1. the performance of the BSS with reg V&H baffles is still good

2. if I put in the BCT QQ baffles will they wind up being very quiet?

Thanks so much!

Old 08-19-2014, 06:35 PM
mustang125
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are not quieter in my opinion. I do like the tone better with the quiet baffles. They still set off car alarms just fine. If I didn't have a wife I would have a slim. I have the V& h baffles and have never heard the BCT baffles. power is still good with the right tune.

Last edited by mustang125; 08-19-2014 at 06:38 PM. Reason: added stuff
Old 08-19-2014, 08:34 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master

I've got the BCT QQ's in my BSS. I'm very happy with them. They are a little louder than the Vance and Hines quiet baffles but not as loud as the stock baffles. I would definitely buy them again. Originally I installed them in the stock baffle location but I ended up putting them six inches in as BCT recommends and it seems like the performance was a little better. Whatever you do don't bother with the Vance and Hines quiet baffles. They are cheap garbage in my opinion. I had one of them come apart in the pipe and cause a rattling that it took me a while to track down.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:42 PM
waverly
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fatbob usmc EOD
I've got the BCT QQ's in my BSS. I'm very happy with them. They are a little louder than the Vance and Hines quiet baffles but not as loud as the stock baffles. I would definitely buy them again. Originally I installed them in the stock baffle location but I ended up putting them six inches in as BCT recommends and it seems like the performance was a little better. Whatever you do don't bother with the Vance and Hines quiet baffles. They are cheap garbage in my opinion. I had one of them come apart in the pipe and cause a rattling that it took me a while to track down.
So, what did you think of the stock V&H baffles? Big sound and performance difference between them and the BCT QQ?

Old 08-19-2014, 09:45 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I have a Slim with the V&H BSS, and I can tell you the "quiet" baffles aren't much quieter at all, although they do have a more mellow rumble than the stock baffles.
But once you get used to them, the quiet baffles are barely audible at cruising speeds - just a nice hum.
Just keep in mind that even with the quiet baffles, they will get louder over time as the fiberglass breaks down, but you can easily re-wrap them with fiberglass obtained from any auto parts store for cheap.

Performance-wise I'm very happy with my set-up, although I did wind up going with the V&H FuelPak 3 to dial it all in.

Here's a comparison between the standard baffles (on the left) and the quiet baffles (on the right)...

Last edited by jam436; 08-19-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:54 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 752 Likes on 460 Posts

I've got the quiet baffles and like the sound.
They are on the loud side, but I like that.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:54 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master

The BCT QQ's are a little quieter than stock and have a better, deeper sound to them. I thought performance wise that they were significantly better. Of course that's only with a seat of the pants "dyno"

Old 08-20-2014, 07:05 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

I put the V&H quiet baffles in my BSS on the deluxe. To me they are a little quieter and deeper sounding. Also less tinny sounding. I actually am very pleased with the setup. It even helped with some of the decel popping. They are not expensive and then you will have both. Just my $.02.