Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some ape hanger help on a breakout...

Old 08-20-2014, 03:15 PM
JiXeR
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need some ape hanger help on a breakout...

so, i think i have my wife convinced to let me spend a little on my bike. so, i was looking at these carlini black pist apes. but i'm not really sure what all in involved with changing them out.

http://www.carlinidesign.com/Handleb...e-By-Wire.html

obviously, i know i'm going to need new cables so that they reach, but how do i go about finding which ones? is there anything else i'm going to need?

Old 08-20-2014, 04:43 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It can be labor intensive depending on how neat you want everything.

The 4 cables will be the bulk of the cost. You will need wiring harness extensions along with turn signal extensions if you keep the turn signals on the bars.

You will need brake fluid for when you bleed the front brake. Also, you have to take the side transmission cover off which, on most bikes, requires the exhaust to be removed. I would recommend changing that gasket out.

Other than that, that's it!

As far as determining the length, it is pretty much trial and error. I bought all of my cables from Magnum Shielding and I couldn't be happier. I went with 12" apes on 2" risers. Here are the cable lengths I used:

Clutch - 68 11/16"
Throttle - 36 5/8"
Idle - 36 5/8"
Brake (Non-ABS) - 48"

I would recommend buying the bars first and then using wire or string to measure out the length that you will need for cables. It worked for me!

If you have ABS, I hear bleeding the brakes can be difficult.

Good luck with the install. Those Carlini apes look sick!

Old 08-20-2014, 05:15 PM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by JiXeR
so, i think i have my wife convinced to let me spend a little on my bike.
Don't worry about the ape's and deal with this problem first.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:01 AM
JiXeR
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jgos929
Don't worry about the ape's and deal with this problem first.
haha. sadly, she has the right to be a little leary of me spending that kind of money. i've been spending a lot on this bike. so, it's better to have her keep me in check, otherwise i'd have the coolest harley a homeless person could ever own!

Old 08-21-2014, 07:13 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

I have the exact same bars in chrome. Do not buy stepped apes. You need 1.25" non stepped. I don't think they list them in black but they will make them if you call. Give me a minute to find my thread and I will show you what you need. Also, you may want to look into the CVO Breakout risers as the standard risers look terrible with apes.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:16 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member

Here is my thread from when I put mine on.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-breakout.html

A few things to note..
1) My bike does not have ABS, if yours does you will need a different brake line.
2)If you stick with stock risers I would add 2-3" to all of the cables from what I used. The wiring extension will be fine, no need to go any longer than the 12" I used.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:09 PM
ADRENALINE RUSH
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I talked about some tips and pointer in my build thread...
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-and-tips.html

but if you have no clue, here's a little how to on removing everything, installing is just reverse. He has a lot of other vids that might help you.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:50 PM
ucmitch
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Risers

I have done this mod I went with 14inch Wild one Outlawz, The cables are surprisingly expensive (I do have ABS) the wiring extensions are simple.
The bit that made me angry with the whole process is the risers, you can keep the standard risers but the will look weird. The only risers you can change to are the cvo ones, you will need top and bottom and the risers will also cost you more than the bars themselves, be prepared to feel the full pain of Harley price gouging.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:16 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by ucmitch
I have done this mod I went with 14inch Wild one Outlawz, The cables are surprisingly expensive (I do have ABS) the wiring extensions are simple.
The bit that made me angry with the whole process is the risers, you can keep the standard risers but the will look weird. The only risers you can change to are the cvo ones, you will need top and bottom and the risers will also cost you more than the bars themselves, be prepared to feel the full pain of Harley price gouging.
The risers will not cost more than the bars if you buy them through an online vendor. But, they are not cheap, that is for sure. Also, there is now another option. Thunderbike makes new lower legs for the stock risers to make them short like the CVO risers. They are nearly as expensive as just buying the CVO parts though.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:49 AM
ucmitch
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In oz

Sorry forgot to mention I'm in Australia, the top and bottom risers together cost about $400. No over seas vendor that I could find would ship to Aus.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need some ape hanger help on a breakout...