Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is the best year for Springers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 08:39 AM
musicnbikes
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm looking at an 2007, and now a 2000 has come to my attention. I'm going to go look at it in a couple of days. One concern I have, is dealing with all,of the chrome. Does it pit or rust easily? The 2007 is powdered black, and there is not a lot of chrome to worry with. Of course, which ever one I get, will be kept indoors.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:48 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

My bike was kept inside and has zero chrome pitting or rust.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:08 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by musicnbikes
I'm looking at an 2007, and now a 2000 has come to my attention. I'm going to go look at it in a couple of days. One concern I have, is dealing with all,of the chrome. Does it pit or rust easily? The 2007 is powdered black, and there is not a lot of chrome to worry with. Of course, which ever one I get, will be kept indoors.
I'm really wanting to buy a springer, and after looking at 2007, that was an awkward year for parts. So, which are the best years, if any, to look for?
Originally Posted by Jaburg1
2008 - 2011.

This way you get the latest advancements, including the 96 inch motor. Others prefer the older Springers, but, for me, I'd get the most recent I could get. Buying a new Heritage and putting a new springer front end on it is an expensive way to go, but another option.

You're going to get a bunch of biased responses which is totally understandable. Your question rates right up there with something like "Which is the best sexual position?" You're going to have a hard time getting one conclusive answer and none of them will be wrong!

If I break down your two comments above and take into account some of your specific concerns or wishes then I'd have to agree with Jaburg1 and suggest you get an 08-11. I realize that pretty much limits you to the Crossbones which may or may not be your style. However, it has many of the fundamentals you are looking for with some good updates...not just in the powerplant but in other areas such as the for rockers. Parts are readily available since Harley went to a single style of frame and swingarm across most Softails (the Rocker has some pretty unique features not shared by other Softail in it's model year range) as well as the engine and tranny components.

At it's core, the Crossbones is a not that much different than an 07 Springer Classic and can be made to look like a Heritage or Classic rather easily. It has the FL front end which you like and a bit of attitude with the fatter rear end.

My experience with chrome is that Harley seems to use some pretty good chroming methods and as long as you take care of it it holds up pretty well. I prefer black but it has more to do with my preference for that look and only liking chrome as an accent.

I love my 08 Bones and I did as stated and made it look more like an 07. I have the best of both worlds in looks and latest tech and accessory/parts availability. But I guess going that route depends on you and whether or not you want to have to take that extra process. It's not hard to do or even expensive. You just have to source the right parts. I did all the work on my bike myself.

Here are some images to help you envision what I am talking about.

This is my Bones about a month after I bought it back in 08.

Here are a few pics of it post-Heritage makeover...

Here's what it looks like with bags and shield. I run a Springer Classic pillion and a detachable rider backrest with Air Wing luggage rack on the back for touring and two-up duties.

Last edited by Skeezmachine; 09-05-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Skeezemachine that scooter looks terrific. Great upgrades IMHO.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:05 PM
musicnbikes
Road Master

+1 on the great looking bike! A main issue that I am concerned with, is myself. I know that if I buy a 97-03 heritage springer, I will not want to ride it, due to collectibility. If I buy an 05 or newer, I will feel more inclined to build it how I want, don't ask me why, I don't know.
Thanks, for the response, and the great pictures, showing what you started with, and then what you created out of it.

Ps. Is that a fatboy rear fender? Also, have you had any issues of your oil tank peeling?

Last edited by musicnbikes; 09-05-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:23 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

I understand your concerns and I can honestly say for a fact that my 05 doesn't have any pitting or rusting. During riding season, it is keep in front of my garage under the overhang. During non riding season, it is kept in the garage. I do periodically clean the chrome and polish my bike to try and keep it as protected and good looking as I can. I've also ridden in the rain and the rain never caused me any issues with my chrome.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

+1 on the great looking bike! A main issue that I am concerned with, is myself. I know that if I buy a 97-03 heritage springer, I will not want to ride it, due to collectibility. If I buy an 05 or newer, I will feel more inclined to build it how I want, don't ask me why, I don't know.
Thanks, for the response, and the great pictures, showing what you started with, and then what you created out of it.

Ps. Is that a fatboy rear fender? Also, have you had any issues of your oil tank peeling?
I understand.

I have a taste for nostalgia but I've never considered myself a collector. I'm the sort that would get my hands on an old knuckle head and ride the snot out of it!

As for "building it the way you want"; that happens to most of us for one reason or another. You're the only one that can answer that and chose a bike that suits you.

That is a Fatboy fender. It's a direct bolt on for the most part. So is the front Heritage/Classic fender. Nothing has been done to my bike that can't be undone and either put back to stock or taken in a whole new direction.

No issues at all with the oil tank. It is powder coated which would have no reason to peel. I've seen oil tanks with peeling but in every case it's been a tank that someone PAINTED over. In most cases they have painted right over the original chrome finish. I imagine you've seen such things too and it's why you are asking? Like I said, in six years I've had no issues with the finish on my oil tank.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:37 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Cbones

Been riding for 35 years and still have the first bike I owned(80 FXWG).
I've owned about ten bikes from my WG to an Electra Glide to a Road Glide to a 53 Pan that's still in the barn to an Ultra to a Heritage to a Fatboy Lo that I still own to my latest 08 Crossbones. I must say I'm enjoying this bike more than any other that I own or have owned. Rides great, corners ok, get lots of thumbs up. I'm stoked and other than needing to coax a bit more hp out of it I like it the way it is.(124" motor in the Fatboy kinda spoils a guy)008.jpg

Attached Thumbnails Which is the best year for Springers?-008.jpg  
Old 09-05-2014, 01:52 PM
musicnbikes
Road Master

The 07 springer classic, has a black oil tank, that Harley, apparently panted over the chrome, and it is peeling. They must have resolved that since then. Great looking bike, and now I am inspired by it.
Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
I understand.

I have a taste for nostalgia but I've never considered myself a collector. I'm the sort that would get my hands on an old knuckle head and ride the snot out of it!

As for "building it the way you want"; that happens to most of us for one reason or another. You're the only one that can answer that and chose a bike that suits you.

That is a Fatboy fender. It's a direct bolt on for the most part. So is the front Heritage/Classic fender. Nothing has been done to my bike that can't be undone and either put back to stock or taken in a whole new direction.

No issues at all with the oil tank. It is powder coated which would have no reason to peel. I've seen oil tanks with peeling but in every case it's been a tank that someone PAINTED over. In most cases they have painted right over the original chrome finish. I imagine you've seen such things too and it's why you are asking? Like I said, in six years I've had no issues with the finish on my oil tank.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:54 PM
musicnbikes
Road Master

Originally Posted by Snowyone
Been riding for 35 years and still have the first bike I owned(80 FXWG).
I've owned about ten bikes from my WG to an Electra Glide to a Road Glide to a 53 Pan that's still in the barn to an Ultra to a Heritage to a Fatboy Lo that I still own to my latest 08 Crossbones. I must say I'm enjoying this bike more than any other that I own or have owned. Rides great, corners ok, get lots of thumbs up. I'm stoked and other than needing to coax a bit more hp out of it I like it the way it is.(124" motor in the Fatboy kinda spoils a guy)008.jpg
The crossbones are cool looking bikes, and yours looks great!

Quick Reply: Which is the best year for Springers?