Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade Offers - Input Wanted!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 12:03 PM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Trade Offers - Input Wanted!

Greetings Softailers. It's been a while since I've ventured in here, as I got rid of my Night Train a couple years ago to pursue others things in life. I started a little side business, bought a house, etc.

Anyways, at the beginning of summer I bought this 1976 Jeep CJ-5. I like it, but wouldn't have a problem parting ways with it. It's cool, and fun, and people love it everywhere I go, but I just don't need a second vehicle, so I put it up on Craigslist. I don't need to sell it, but if I find someone willing to pay what I'm asking for it, I'd be happy to get rid of it.

Trade Offers - Input Wanted!-022.jpgTrade Offers - Input Wanted!-037-2-.jpg

So far I've received three Harley trade offers. Straight title swap.

One was an 02 Night Train with custom lime green paint and front 5-spoke alum. wheel and a bunch of motor work. It didn't do much for me.

However the next two I am starting to consider:

One is an 05 Deluxe with 12K miles:

Trade Offers - Input Wanted!-003.jpg

And the other is an 07 Deuce with 10K miles:

Trade Offers - Input Wanted!-001.jpg

While i'm not a fan of the custom numbered tins on the Deuce, it seems like a screaming good deal for what I have in the Jeep, and I am leaning towards making the deal. I just wanted to see what everyone here has to say!

Old 08-30-2014, 12:37 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd say the Deluxe due to the bags and windshield. Also, because that two-tone paint looks great!

Old 08-30-2014, 12:58 PM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sioux565
I'd say the Deluxe due to the bags and windshield. Also, because that two-tone paint looks great!
Yep, the quick detach windshield and bags are a definite plus to the Deluxe. Also has an added crash bar with highway pegs.

If I recall correctly though, 05 is the year with the primary tensioner issues? And he told me hat has not been upgraded. So it's something is want/need to do immediately.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:17 PM
GMWhiteGuy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all depends on what kind of riding you do, those are drastically different bikes. If you were happy on your 'Train, I would think the Deuce would fit well. But for a short touring / comfort ride the Deluxe is hard to beat. I always think how much more it would cost to add bags and a windshield to whatever I'm looking at, and the deluxe or heritage always seem to make good financial sense. What do I know, I ride a Breakout!

Old 08-30-2014, 01:53 PM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

No offense, but that Jeep is a POS. I WOULD JERK THAT GUYS ARM OFF TO TRADE FOR THAT deuce.

I would be smiling for a year to do that trade.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:09 PM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by GMWhiteGuy
It all depends on what kind of riding you do, those are drastically different bikes. If you were happy on your 'Train...
I was VERY happy with my Night Train. It was perfect for the type of riding I did (commuting, local weekend rides, occasional 200 mile haul).

Old 08-31-2014, 12:15 PM
jpowell490
Road Master

I loved my 08 Night Train, except for the ridiculous amount of heat it put off.

Wish you had a pic of the 02 Train. That Deuce is pretty close to the train, but not as low I don't think, could be wrong.

They don't make the Trains anymore, which is tragic. If it is very well taken care of, take it. You can't go wrong.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:39 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,166 Likes on 5,391 Posts

To my surprise, NADA "average retail" on the jeep is 2K more than either one of those bikes...no way to figure the price difference for the chevy V8 conversion but I would think it would be worth more than a stock 4 cylinder, which is what I was pricing.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:33 PM
fdxguy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeeps are a dime a dozen. I'd trade for either bike.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:47 PM
jpowell490
Road Master

Nada is for a STOCK Jeep, that Jeep isn't anywhere near NADA value. Again, no offense.

It is modified, the engine looks horrible, it is just a hobby Jeep meant to go out and have a good time.

The Harley will hold it's value for many, many years to come. TAKE THE HARLEY. You will be beyond happy with that trade, I would hope.

Quick Reply: Trade Offers - Input Wanted!