Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S/E stage 1 no tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 05:17 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

After I installed just a full exhaust with 2" baffles my bike ran like crap. Got a Stage 1 air cleaner and tuner and now the bike runs great and is cooler to boot. The factory tune may be able handle an air cleaner or slip on exhaust. But it won't handle many full exhaust systems or Air cleaner/ slip on combo.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:47 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I would be interested to know what year/model bikes those are, and what is an "acceptable range for the fuel/air ratios".
One is an 06 Dyna, and the other is an 08 Softail. The Softail is the one that was checked on the dyno.

"Cruise" averaged around 14.6, and full acceleration was around 13.

There are cooling benefits to spraying more fuel (latent heat of vaporization), but also some downsides, like fuel dilution of the oil film on the cylinder walls. Our modern lean-running engines are some of the most long-lasting ever.

Sometimes, cooling with excess fuel is necessary, like with some supercharged or turbocharged engines, where we might run as pig-rich as 10.5:1 under full power to suppress detonation. Wouldn't recommend it on a normally aspirated engine, if one cares about engine life.

Originally Posted by BigMike
Sure, let's take a bike that from the factory runs dangerously lean/hot to begin with, open up the intake and exhaust, and continue to run dangerously leaner/hotter.
A little misinformed. Modern engines are designed to run hotter and leaner. Heat isn't necessarily an enemy. It's also a friend of power and efficiency. Heat is what produces the expansion in the cylinder, which pushes the piston down.

And opening up the intake and exhaust doesn't necessarily make a computer-controlled engine run leaner/hotter.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-01-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:49 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
A little misinformed. Modern engines are designed to run hotter and leaner. Heat isn't necessarily an enemy. It's also a friend of power and efficiency. Heat is what produces the expansion in the cylinder, which pushes the piston down.

And opening up the intake and exhaust doesn't necessarily make a computer-controlled engine run leaner/hotter.
Certainly, modern engines. The HD Twin Cam is based on a design from the 1940's though. Plus, it's air cooled where the only way to regulate the temperature is via A/F ratio and an oil cooler.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:19 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigMike
Certainly, modern engines. The HD Twin Cam is based on a design from the 1940's though. Plus, it's air cooled where the only way to regulate the temperature is via A/F ratio and an oil cooler.
Again, a little misinformed. The HD Twin Cam is a modern design, with some compromises based on emulating the appearance and sound of earlier engines.

One example:
The combustion chamber on the Twin Cam is a totally different design from the Shovelhead and Evo. Not only is it capable of making more power, but it's also cleaner and more fuel efficient.

Temperature regulation is in no way limited to A/F ratios and oil coolers. The Twin Cam has more cooling fin area, and also has rather sophisticated heat management strategies, including limiting oil flow to the heads (which tend to heat the oil on an air cooled engine) and rear cylinder shutdown during extended low-speed operation.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:26 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Damn Skippy, this is some funny ****.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:37 PM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Ok, so I am going to step in on that comment. You are completely and utterly wrong.

One, modern engines as you call them, run hotter to burn off excess hydrocarbons due to EPA emissions.

Two, heat does NOT expand the cylinder, dumbest thing I have read by the way, nor does it push the piston down. What pushed the piston down is called combustion there genius.

Why would a cylinder expand? So you could have blow-by in the cylinder? Jeez.....

Also, you said elsewhere that a richer mixture would get into the oil and cut the lubricstion on the cylinder walls? You are a complete moron. RINGS scrape the cylinder wall of oil on the downstroke so it does not interfere with combustion.

I don't usually get into pissing matches on here, but Warp Factor, you are perhaps the dumbest person I have ever met. That is really saying something.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:02 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jpowell490

Two, heat does NOT expand the cylinder, dumbest thing I have read by the way, nor does it push the piston down.
LOL, reading comprehension can sometimes be useful. Note that I didn't say heat expands the cylinder (although it does), but that heat is what produces the expansion in the cylinder, pushing the piston down.

Originally Posted by jpowell490
What pushed the piston down is called combustion there genius.
LOL again. The reason combustion pushes the piston down is that it produces heat, expanding the gases in the cylinder and raising the pressure. If there was no increase in temperature, there would be no increase in pressure. Combustion doesn't insert magic-force pixie dust or anything. It pretty much conforms to basic gas theories, where pressure or volume increase with temperature.

The rest of your post is even less worthy of comment. But if you want to come back and make your other contentions, one per post, I'll try to do a decent job of addressing them one by one.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 08-30-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:04 PM
jeff6898
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darn I didn't mean to start a war. I do have Vieds that I am installing, I was just wondering what everyone thoughts where by what the mechanic said.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:58 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff6898
07 FLSTC

Stopped by the local motorcycle shop today. Been in business 15 years and has all the HD certifications ect. I was talking to him about me installing the screaming eagle stage1 air cleaner kit, and I have RC components slip on exhaust.

We got around to talking about installing the vieds or fuel pack. He said there is no need to have either just for what I am doing that the O2 sensors will adjust for the extra air coming in and no damage to engine would be done.

He says it is all about companies wanting to make money off of things you do not need. He said it will run much better once I install the air cleaner and not to waste the money on the other items.

I thought you couldn't run this with out a tuner or the xieds. I am very confused now.

You have gotten all kinds of advice...dunno if it is more or less confusing for you now.

Once you have your free flow intake and exhaust installed, you should be able to tell if it is running well, or if it is surging/not running smoothly due to being too lean.

From the responses, you can see that some do not run poorly when a free flowing intake and exhaust are installed, and others do.

If you do experience it running poorly, here's a link to a thread with an overview of popular options-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...uning-etc.html

One is an 06 Dyna, and the other is an 08 Softail. The Softail is the one that was checked on the dyno.

"Cruise" averaged around 14.6, and full acceleration was around 13.

There are cooling benefits to spraying more fuel (latent heat of vaporization), but also some downsides, like fuel dilution of the oil film on the cylinder walls. Our modern lean-running engines are some of the most long-lasting ever.

Sometimes, cooling with excess fuel is necessary, like with some supercharged or turbocharged engines, where we might run as pig-rich as 10.5:1 under full power to suppress detonation. Wouldn't recommend it on a normally aspirated engine, if one cares about engine life.
Thanks for the hard numbers. Without them it is not possible to have a productive conversation.

Can't comment on the 06 since the AFR is unknown. On your 08 I hesitatingly agree with you that 14.6 in cruise and 13.0 in full throttle is borderline acceptable...It is higher than I would want to see, and higher than what, in my experience, produces the best power, smoothest running, engine.

I prefer to see it down around 13.8-14.0 in cruise and 12.5-12.9 in WOT.

In the years since 07, HD has been creeping the AFR higher and higher...so some of the conflict in some of the responses is probably from guys with newer bikes, that have a stock calibration where in cruise they are seeing 15.0 - 15.3 or even higher. That is TOO lean, I think you would agree to that.

My bone stock 2012 Softail came from the factory with a tune that put the AFR as high as 15.5:1 in cruise, but it did drop all the want down to 12.7:1 in WOT.

Simply by getting the closed loop AFR to 14.0:1 made a very noticeable improvement in performance.

I agree, going overly rich is a poor way to cool the Twin Cams.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-31-2014, 07:52 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

So many make this mistake. You can get away without a tuner but your bike will NOT run at it's peak performance. I agree, $100.00 an hour on a Dyno is a small price to pay for many years of riding and at peak performance.

Quick Reply: S/E stage 1 no tuning?