Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S/E stage 1 no tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 12:46 PM
jeff6898
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S/E stage 1 no tuning?

07 FLSTC

Stopped by the local motorcycle shop today. Been in business 15 years and has all the HD certifications ect. I was talking to him about me installing the screaming eagle stage1 air cleaner kit, and I have RC components slip on exhaust.

We got around to talking about installing the vieds or fuel pack. He said there is no need to have either just for what I am doing that the O2 sensors will adjust for the extra air coming in and no damage to engine would be done.

He says it is all about companies wanting to make money off of things you do not need. He said it will run much better once I install the air cleaner and not to waste the money on the other items.

I thought you couldn't run this with out a tuner or the xieds. I am very confused now.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:54 PM
1harleyman
Advanced

For four years I have been running a K & N filter with stock football cover the back cut out of the mounting plate and cut off the factory pipes and reconfigured the baffles to control the back pressure, no problems with 38,000 miles , just ocassionaly alittle decell pop. Bike runs much better than it did stock, no other mods to motor. No tuner.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:56 PM
PikeAl
Cruiser

I installed a SE air cleaner and freedom pipes on my bike. I ran it a couple of miles before getting my tuner and the bike ran like crap...and sounded even worse.

even if the bike is bone stock it will benefit from being tuned.

My bike is my first...but I read a lot on this forum before even buying the bike. I understand that our bikes run lean from the factory which causes them to run hot. Introducing more air will cause it to run even hotter.

Best case scenario...you will discolor your pipes and scorch your crotch. worse case...you're screw the engine up well before it's time. $300 for a tuner and a few hours tinkering with it is a very small price to pay for at least some insurance.

Like I said before...my first bike...I did it myself. if you can read (and I'm guessing you can if you're posting in a forum) you should have no problem doing it.

FWIW I use a PowerVision from FuelMoto.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:50 PM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The factory computer will adjust for pipes and an AC, but the adjustment will be about as good as it was before, not very.

You will still be crazy lean and have a lot of heat.

A stock bike needs a tuner. Take your pick, XIEDs, Fuelpak, Power Vison, etc. It will run much better

Old 08-30-2014, 02:41 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff6898
07 FLSTC

We got around to talking about installing the vieds or fuel pack. He said there is no need to have either just for what I am doing that the O2 sensors will adjust for the extra air coming in and no damage to engine would be done.

He says it is all about companies wanting to make money off of things you do not need. He said it will run much better once I install the air cleaner and not to waste the money on the other items.
He's right. It might be possible to make the bike run slightly better with tuning, but it will be fine. I have two stage 1 bikes without tuners, and they run fine. Fuel/air ratios were checked on a dyno on one, and they were very much within an acceptable range. No changes were recommended.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:06 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

I would add XIED if you don't buy a tuner...Next to the gel insert on my Danny Gray seat it's the best $100 bucks I've spent on my bike. I've got a Arlen Ness Big Sucker, slip-ons, and HD download on my 09 Rocker C. Runs 25 -30 degrees cooler since adding XIED also really helped decel pop.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:21 PM
UT-rckr
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You won't do any damage to the bike by not doing a tuner, but a tuner will make a noticeable difference. I have AC and pipes, and before doing my power vision I would get occasional backfiring, it ran hot, and 6th gear wasn't usable until over 75. After the tune and subsequent auto tunes, no more backfiring, runs cooler, and 6th is usable at 65.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:27 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I Do agree you do not need a tuner, the ecm will adjust pretty well. That being said, why wouldn't you want your bike to run at it's best? Also, where you live gets damn hot and the bike will run damn hot as well.

People will spend 1,000 of dollars on bling but refuse to spend 500 or 600 bucks to have their bike run at it's best. I personally just don't get it.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:32 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Tuner not absolutely necessary. Should you get one? Yes, eventually.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:25 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
He's right. It might be possible to make the bike run slightly better with tuning, but it will be fine. I have two stage 1 bikes without tuners, and they run fine. Fuel/air ratios were checked on a dyno on one, and they were very much within an acceptable range. No changes were recommended.
I would be interested to know what year/model bikes those are, and what is an "acceptable range for the fuel/air ratios".

TIA

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Quick Reply: S/E stage 1 no tuning?