Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to buy on a small accessory/upgrade budget?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 01:25 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,941 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by paulmj
That's really eye opening. I suppose the Harley Heavy Breather still feeds the breather back into the intake?
Yes, the Heavy Breather feeds hot oily air back into the intake.

The Outlaw 636v does not, plus the patent pending design gets more air into the combustion chamber faster for more power. See chart below.

Originally Posted by Gibler77
What kind of ship times are there on a DK Outlaw HiFlow 587 kit in Sano Black? And is that a correct choice for a Blackline?
If we receive an order by noon on a business day, it will ship out that same day. Transit time is 1-3 days to most anywhere in the USA.

The 587 Sano Black is an excellent choice for the Blackline.

=====================================

Charts on the 636v vs the Heavy Breather

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-31-2014, 01:38 PM
Strahley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gibler77
Since I've got the short shots and the fuel pak tuner, I will most likely go with an air intake next. I'm a little surprised the previous owner didn't do that. Looking at all that's available, there seems to be a huge swing in pricing. Found an S&S Stealth Kit on Amazon for $100, but there are intakes for Roland Sands that run upwards of $500+. Is there a difference in performance based on design? I would think even the least expensive will allow more air in than the stock system?
Pretty much everything made by Roland Sands will be expensive compared to any other option. I'm too cheap to spend the money, but I don't hear much (if anything) bad about their products

Kevin from DK is not exaggerating or just trying to sell you something. Most intakes puke hot/dirty oil right back into the engine, and over time your pistons will look like that (not to mention the air cleaner assembly etc). I have mine out now (~43k miles on a 2002) and they looked just like the ones he posted. My air cleaner assembly and the insides of the intake manifold looked horrible. It took several rounds of degreaser to get the manifold clean and smooth on the inside (didn't bother with the cleaner assembly as I'm not reusing it)

I'll be using one of their systems after I put my engine back together, and will be routing the breathers out to a catch can or something. Not sure why Harley couldn't have done something like that in the first place

Old 08-31-2014, 03:06 PM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

I did as already suggested. Stage 1 went first, then I made a list with comfort first then looks. Printed out a page for each and prioritized. I added up the costs needed and bought what was next on the list as $$$ was acquired. The saddle bags r next and that will not be cheap. I am not going to skimp on a couple hundred dollars on a $19k bike that I hope to keep a long time. My last HD I kept for 10 yrs. Just my $.02.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:21 PM
Gibler77
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got $800+ to go. Just ordered a DK HiFlow 587 air cleaner.

Going to take the advice of others now and go for a comfort mod. Thinking the Drag Specialties Predator 2 Up. It's a bit cheaper than the Harley, Mustang, and Danny Gray 2 Ups. Came across a used Harley 2 Up, but it was the reduced reach, and I don't want to get closer to the pegs. It's too bad because it was a good price.

Aside from a tuning necessity, are cams a labor intensive upgrade? I watched a video from S&S, and it looked fairly simple. That would be about the only performance mod I'd be interested in next.

After that, maybe a Bowman sissy bar so I can strap a bag to it, and I think I'll be done.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:50 AM
paulmj
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

My Breakout will be here in March and is coming with a Stage 1, Short Shots and a Heavy Breather. If I swap out for the Heavy Breather for a DK 636 will that mess up the tune, or will it be close enough coming from a Harley Heavy Breather?

Also, if I go for the breather bolts will that result in oil residue on the bike (and my leg) down wind of where they are located?

Thanks.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:14 AM
Plvs Vltra
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I would go with an air cleaner first. That would finalize initial performance upgrades, though you seem to really want cams.

From there I would look into customizing to make it your own. Grips, seat mirrors, spark plug wires, other do-dads and do-hickies. I got a lot of stuff from mandmcycles.com (no add here for them. I was simply amazed with their customer service and prices I recommend them to everyone.)

I am at the point a lot of things I want to do will have to wait a bit. Shotvun shock, chrome rear swing arm, chrome lowers and on and on. The problem is the more I do the more I want to do. And I must be blessed because I have a wife who loves it when I spend money on my bike because she loves to see how I change it. She is more excited to see me get "jewely" for my Princess than she is when I gef her some.

Customizing your ride can get so addicting I am starting to plan for a second bike with a back theme instead of chrome.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:24 PM
Ed McLellan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does the breather differ from the Heavy one?

Old 09-01-2014, 02:27 PM
Gibler77
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed McLellan
The heavy breather option was $100 more, and while it offers better performance, I'm partial to the standard air cleaner design. I like a narrower look to the bike, and so does my right leg.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:12 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,941 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by paulmj
My Breakout will be here in March and is coming with a Stage 1, Short Shots and a Heavy Breather. If I swap out for the Heavy Breather for a DK 636 will that mess up the tune, or will it be close enough coming from a Harley Heavy Breather?

Also, if I go for the breather bolts will that result in oil residue on the bike (and my leg) down wind of where they are located?

Thanks.
It will be close enough...if it is a good tune for the HB, it will work well with the 636v. The 636v puts a little more air into the combustion chamber, but not so much more that the ECM will not adjust for it.

Originally Posted by Ed McLellan
If you are asking what the difference between the 636v and Heavy Breather is-

Two main differences-

The 636v has a patent pending design of the forward tube that increases the velocity of the air entering the combustion chamber. This results in higher performance, as can be seen in the dyno charts above.

The other difference is that the 636v does not feed that nasty hot oily air into the throttle body and combustion chambers that just gums things up and creates carbon deposits like the Heavy Breather does.

You can see all the specs HERE

Old 09-01-2014, 11:24 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Personally, the first mods that I did to my Springer were for comfort. I found the more comfortable that I made my bike, the longer that I could stay in the saddle. So based on that, I'd say mods for comfort, like maybe bars, seat, back rest. If you still have the stock grips on, maybe those. When I switched from stock to Isso's, my hands felt better. That's all I can think of so far but those can be spendy also depending on what catches your fancy.

Quick Reply: What to buy on a small accessory/upgrade budget?