Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! - swapped bars, left controls not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Cobre Slim
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help! - swapped bars, left controls not working

Clutch side controls (Trip, Horn, Lights etc etc) are no longer working. Everything was fine right after the swap, except I had a loose connection with the right side turn signal which was causing it to shut off at full left/right turning. Fixed that, but the left controls are now dead. Followed wires from housing, under tank, to battery area and can see nothing. Removed controls to see if maybe the wires were pinched, looks fine, and did not work when loose; connection looks good.

Anything you can think of that I may be missing?

I can't pull codes because I can't use the trip button, and I don't have a reader. Going to check fuses now, but I don't think the left controls have their own fuse... I'm gonna go find out

thanks

*** sorry, it's a 2012 Softail Slim

Last edited by Cobre Slim; 09-01-2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: forgot bike info
Old 09-01-2014, 02:53 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Did you lengthen the wires? If so, what kit did you use? Need more information.

I had the same issue. Used the Burly kit and the plug on their extension harness had a bad connector in it. Try to unplug and plug the connector under the tank. If nothing works, the switch assembly isn't getting power.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:28 PM
Cobre Slim
Advanced

Originally Posted by BigMike
Did you lengthen the wires? If so, what kit did you use? Need more information.

I had the same issue. Used the Burly kit and the plug on their extension harness had a bad connector in it. Try to unplug and plug the connector under the tank. If nothing works, the switch assembly isn't getting power.
Hmmmm, thanks for that. Ya I used a Namz kit. I've gone back to stock bars, but left the extender in and just tucked it into the nacelle. I guess I'll do what I should have done in the first place and remove the extension from under the tank

Old 09-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Cobre Slim
Advanced

Soooo... removed extender kit, no joy with left controls still. A nice new addition - speedo is throwing V Inner code during start up and it's had a few non starts. This is getting beyond me now, hopefully I can limp to the stealer in the next few days.

Seen a few V Inner threads, none seem to have a decisive answer... lots of could be stuff

Old 09-02-2014, 07:33 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

Well, let's start with the basics. Before you touched it they worked. The only thing that could be wrong would be a bad board in the control, a bad bcm, or a wiring issue. Since you touched the wiring while doing this mod, that is a great place to start. Pull all the wires back through the bars and check them. Did you buy plug and play extensions, or did you splice new ones on? If they are plug and play then start checking the pins in all of the connectors. There are 2 wires specifically that go to and from the bcm. If either of these was just missing making contact you would have these issues.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Cobre Slim
Advanced

Originally Posted by 24v
Well, let's start with the basics. Before you touched it they worked. The only thing that could be wrong would be a bad board in the control, a bad bcm, or a wiring issue. Since you touched the wiring while doing this mod, that is a great place to start. Pull all the wires back through the bars and check them. Did you buy plug and play extensions, or did you splice new ones on? If they are plug and play then start checking the pins in all of the connectors. There are 2 wires specifically that go to and from the bcm. If either of these was just missing making contact you would have these issues.
Ya I used a plug and play extension kit from Namz, which has now been completely removed. I'll pull the wires all the way out today. I did everything without removing the tank (just unbolted and shifted back) maybe it's time to take it off and get better access to everything. Actually having to shift the tank back and forth may have pinched something under there.

The speedo dropping out here and there is troublesome. It stays lit, but the tach drops to 0 for a few seconds then comes back

Old 09-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Cobre Slim
Advanced

Any other way to check codes without use of trip button? (those controls are still dead)

Old 09-02-2014, 12:03 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member

I don't see why you need to check codes? You know what you touched, just retrace it all. Did you pull the wires out of the connectors to get them through the bars, or did the plugs fit?

Old 09-02-2014, 12:32 PM
Cobre Slim
Advanced

Originally Posted by 24v
I don't see why you need to check codes? You know what you touched, just retrace it all. Did you pull the wires out of the connectors to get them through the bars, or did the plugs fit?
Turn signals needed to be removed from connector, they're working fine now, everything else fit through the bars as is. I was just wondering about codes due to the new V Inner code and speedo tach drop out.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:55 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member

Yeah, I suspect the code has something to do with a bcm error due to a can bus wire being damaged, crossed, rubbed etc.

Quick Reply: Help! - swapped bars, left controls not working