Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance and Hines LCD fuelpack horror stories

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 03:51 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
Didn't you forget to include "In my opinion" in your response?

In my opinion, if you are only planning on a Stage 1 upgrade, anything other than a simple fuel tuner like the Fuel Pak or Fuel Moto's Micro Tuner is a waste of money.

Why spend $500+ on an advanced tuner when you can get a simple fuel tuner that practically gives the same results for under $300.
You can only tune a Stage 1 upgraded bike so much and a fuel tuner will tune it about as much it can be.

I got my Fuel Pak used for around $125 and it's performed very well and I'm been very happy with my bike's performance.

Again; In my opinion
Have you ever used a Power Vision or another flash based tuner? The amount that can be done to a motorcycle with a "simple" stage 1 setup is incredible. You have extremely limited control with the original Fuel Pak.

Some people don't want to spend $500 to make their bike run the way it should. In my opinion, I view any piggy-back tuner as a band-aid fix to tuning a bike.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:01 PM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sioux565
Have you ever used a Power Vision or another flash based tuner? The amount that can be done to a motorcycle with a "simple" stage 1 setup is incredible. You have extremely limited control with the original Fuel Pak.

Some people don't want to spend $500 to make their bike run the way it should. In my opinion, I view any piggy-back tuner as a band-aid fix to tuning a bike.
What you are forgetting to include is that "band-aid" fix was about all that existed up until 2011-2012, so fairly recently. Unless you wanted to drop some major coin on a SERT.

What you are also forgetting is that a lot of people don't want to "control" anything. They want to set it up and ride. It is a case of personal choice really.

The older fuelpak works wonderful. Is it limited? Sure it is. Will it do the job for stage 1 with no fuss? Sure will.

I love the newer flash tuners, I think it is an amazing step in the right direction. I also have a 2014 that can utilize that new technology. Someone with the older models cannot.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by sioux565
Have you ever used a Power Vision or another flash based tuner?
No I haven't used the PV or another "flash based tuner", but that's not the subject of this thread.

The OP is asking about the Fuel Pak not looking for tuner recommendations.

The Fuel Pak will get the job done and cost less than a "flash based tuner".

Old 09-21-2014, 04:42 AM
standardmoose
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the help guys, gonna be looking at buying which ever tunner over the next 2 months probably as an xmas present to myself, so ill let you guys know how it goes with which ever one i choose

Old 09-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Mathis
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
No I haven't used the PV or another "flash based tuner", but that's not the subject of this thread.

The OP is asking about the Fuel Pak not looking for tuner recommendations.

The Fuel Pak will get the job done and cost less than a "flash based tuner".
Like many things in life, you won't know until you try. I thought my FuelPak was fine - until I replaced it with the Power Vision. Now, I'm in a more "educated" position to compare the two.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:41 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

The LCD is actually the black one, no the clear one. I own the LCD and it is thin and fits under the seat so well on my Slim that I'm not sure I could break it unless I actually tried to. And yes, it makes the bike run great!

I'd like to try the FuelPak3, which has an auto tune feature that synchs with your smartphone.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:46 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Mathis
Like many things in life, you won't know until you try. I thought my FuelPak was fine - until I replaced it with the Power Vision. Now, I'm in a more "educated" position to compare the two.
I was only responding to a question.

As for your issues, perhaps you had a defective FuelPak or had the wrong numbers programmed in or perhaps the Power Vision is just that much better.

As you noted I've not tried other tuners.
A tuner discussion can be had on another thread which there are quite a few already out there on the subject.

This thread is about rumors of the Fuel Pak cracking and frying the ECM.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:01 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I cant say about earlier versions, but the FP3 is one of the top three mods I've done to this bike - maybe #1, along with Custom Dynamics LED's and Shotgun Shock...
It made a huge difference in overall performance... no complaints, and I would definitely buy one again if I get another bike and do the Stage 1 upgrades...

Old 09-21-2014, 05:33 PM
ftworthcowboy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jam436
I cant say about earlier versions, but the FP3 is one of the top three mods I've done to this bike - maybe #1, along with Custom Dynamics LED's and Shotgun Shock...
It made a huge difference in overall performance... no complaints, and I would definitely buy one again if I get another bike and do the Stage 1 upgrades...

My suggestion would be to get the V&H FP 3 as mentioned above. Put in the canned tune, then put it on Auto Tune for awhile ( I did for about 200 miles). Then finish the tune and you can leave it hooked up under the seat or do as I did and take it off and store it at home. As far as fitting under the seat, it does along with my 'flashing brake light module'.
Of course this is just MY OPINION. ;}

Old 09-21-2014, 09:44 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

This thread title is actually pretty misleading in that there are no documented cases of the fuelpak cracking and frying an ECM.

No horror stories. Just people happy with the product.

Quick Reply: Vance and Hines LCD fuelpack horror stories