Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions- Doing my own 5K service

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 05:49 PM
Dutch101st
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Questions- Doing my own 5K service

So I am looking at doing my own 5K service; going through some of the checklists online, I am thinking that I can save myself some money and do this myself. I have a service manual, tools and an education (as well as US Army mechanic background), so I am thinking that I should be able to do this. What I do not have is an motorcycle background, but its mechanical, so I should be able to get it done.

I do have a couple of questions however...

1- Drain plugs- teflon tape, liquid teflon, or loctite?
2- What is good cable lubrication for the clutch and throttle cables?
3- About how long should it take typically?

I will be diving into my service manual with the check sheet in hand...also, ANY useful tips and/or tricks is appreciated.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:51 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

They have rubber gaskets in the plugs
I like Triflo
20 mins.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:53 PM
spydyr
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There's so many threads on doing your own service, it's nearly comical. Videos too.

Plan ahead, do your research, and follow the manual. If it doesn't say to put teflon tape on it, don't.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:34 PM
HD and VETTE
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some helpfull ideas No teflon tape...
Use a screwdriver or other item to punch hole in oil filter to drain before you loosen.. Use tin foil to make a drain spout under the oil filter to the side of the bike to drain into your pan. If you don't have a manufactured one. I use tin foil.. cheap and throw away after done. Then push your spout all the way under the oil filter and remove it. You will get some oil here and there but not much.

Don't try to drain the crank case just the oil tank.

If you have a manual go by it. Take your time the first time and then you will be a speed demon next time.

Good luck

Old 09-16-2014, 06:43 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Helpful

Go to fixmyhog.com excellent vid on softail and dyna maintenance check them out they are sponsors here on the forum there vids are excellent

Old 09-17-2014, 03:52 AM
tripleb1911
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cover painted parts when handling tools around it. Be surprised how guys have no intention on dropping something on a painted surface but do. Have kitty litter on hand for a unexpected spill.
Known some smart guys that still manage to remove a cert fitting thinking it's a drain plug. Don't over torque. All obvious stuff that can be taken for granted. I love doing my own tune ups on my RK. Looking forward to learning particulars on a Slim.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:49 AM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Two most important things you must have to work on a Harley one is a good torque wrench and two service manual for your bike . You can do your own service . As already said many threads on this. Go to you tube also . Good Luck

Old 09-17-2014, 07:26 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by HD and VETTE
Some helpfull ideas No Teflon tape...
Yep, "Fix My HOG video points out that bits of tape, if they break off, can circulate internally and clog tiny channels,, bad. They do suggest the Teflon paste, FWIW. Drain plug "O"-rings are pretty tough and should be reusable but I'd have one on hand just in case. They're only pennies to buy and you aren't going far without one. As to the old one, if it looks/feels OK, it is OK.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:12 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Dutch I like you are mechanically inclined but only had experience with things that have 4 or more wheels.

Checking and adjusting things like linkages and cables are typically easy to figure out.
If you're experience issues, then make an adjustment per the manual.
If you're not experiencing issues, then if it ain't broke don't fix it.

As for fluids;
I recommend the Harley Syn3.
You can use it in all three places; oil, primary, and transmission.

There are those here that swear by other products and they certainly make valid points but for ease and availability I just go down to the local Harley shop and pic up Syn 3, a filter (~$15) and a "fluid seal kit" (~$10).

For you first change, also pic up a primary funnel (~$12), the oil can be added without it but this does make it cleaner and also pic up a filter wrench (~$12).

They also sell a filter "guard" that supposedly diverts the filter oil a little better, but I just let the oil fall into the pan and then clean the mess up on the bike. It's not that much anyway.

For my 96ci 2009 Heritage I buy 1 four quart jug of Syn3 for the oil, and 2 individual pints, 1 for the primary and 1 for the transmission.

Since I don't "scavenge" my oil (that's another thread) I put in 3 quarts in the oil so I have some left over for the next oil change.

As for the primary and transmission, I just dump a quart each in both places and call it good.

Then I run the bike and check the oil level and add accordingly.

Another thing that's handy is a syringe and tube so that you can siphon out the fluid when you've added too much.

Anyway, pick a nice day and spend some time with your beloved ride and not only enjoy doing the work yourself but also saving money.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:29 AM
Dutch101st
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
Dutch I like you are mechanically inclined but only had experience with things that have 4 or more wheels.

Checking and adjusting things like linkages and cables are typically easy to figure out.
If you're experience issues, then make an adjustment per the manual.
If you're not experiencing issues, then if it ain't broke don't fix it.

As for fluids;
I recommend the Harley Syn3.
You can use it in all three places; oil, primary, and transmission.

There are those here that swear by other products and they certainly make valid points but for ease and availability I just go down to the local Harley shop and pic up Syn 3, a filter (~$15) and a "fluid seal kit" (~$10).

For you first change, also pic up a primary funnel (~$12), the oil can be added without it but this does make it cleaner and also pic up a filter wrench (~$12).

They also sell a filter "guard" that supposedly diverts the filter oil a little better, but I just let the oil fall into the pan and then clean the mess up on the bike. It's not that much anyway.

For my 96ci 2009 Heritage I buy 1 four quart jug of Syn3 for the oil, and 2 individual pints, 1 for the primary and 1 for the transmission.

Since I don't "scavenge" my oil (that's another thread) I put in 3 quarts in the oil so I have some left over for the next oil change.

As for the primary and transmission, I just dump a quart each in both places and call it good.

Then I run the bike and check the oil level and add accordingly.

Another thing that's handy is a syringe and tube so that you can siphon out the fluid when you've added too much.

Anyway, pick a nice day and spend some time with your beloved ride and not only enjoy doing the work yourself but also saving money.
Pretty much have all of that at the ready as it were...I do need to get the syringe/tube for siphoning however; only thing you mentioned that I do not have. I do have the "filter guard" that HD makes and did use it once (when I added my oil cooler)- need some modification for it to work correctly. I will probably use it in conjunction with the previously mentioned A) aluminum foil and B) puncturing a hole in the filter to drain it a bit (my goal is to eliminate as much oil spillage on the bike as possible...I know its impossible to not have it happen, but less is better IMO).

The oil and filter ran me $83 at the dealer (had the O ring kit already, like having things like that on hand "just in case"), MUCH better than the $400 the dealer shop was going to charge me.

So today and tomorrow I will be going through the HD check list for service and marking in my manual the pertinent pages to reference.

Thank you everyone for the tips...open to more, bring em on!

Quick Reply: Questions- Doing my own 5K service