Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

Moving to the Memphis area

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 04:33 AM
ShoreRider
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunny4Sawx
Enjoy your tour. I thought NAS Millington was all but closed. Down towards Mississippi area I recall a few indy shops, but that was 25 years ago
The BRAC in the 90's sealed the deal for the training commands that were there, however, Naval Recruiting Command, NPC, the Selection Boards, and all the Detailers were moved there

Old 07-15-2016, 05:08 AM
Dennis777
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShoreRider
I work at the base in Millington. There is also a local place in Millington called The Shake Rag. Haven't been there but have heard it rocks on the weekend during riding season

I went to A school there in the 70's. Shake Rag population 34.5! As I recall you could order cold cut plates on a butcher paper. "big spread or small spread"

Old 07-15-2016, 06:34 AM
SCQTT
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I worked in downtown Memphis for 10 years. Lived in Collierville during that time. TN has three stars in its flag because there are three distinctly different states. Memphis is violent and can be scary for those not use to it. I moved there after living in Columbus, Chicago, Dallas & MO and was a little shocked. Lets put it this way. I got pretty use to traveling in and around W TN and NOTHING in America seems as sketchy to me. Hot, ugly, swampy, humid, poor. There is a reason it is home of the blues. Cost of living is insanely low, I'll never again be able to afford a home like the one I had there. Lots of poor black folks stuck in a cyclical economic situation that is NOT good. Beale Street Bike Night is fun, also a big one east at Joes Crab Shack at Wolfchase mall, both on Wed Night. Live music scene is good, Memphis is always a good place to party. For where you will be I would cross the river and find great riding along the AR/MO border starting about 75 miles west. The best fried chicken in the world is at Gus's in downtown, there are other locations but not as good. The best food I have ever had anywhere is a little Mexican deli called Los Tortugas in Germantown, it is NOT like any Mexican you have ever had. Those were really good years for me, but it was not always milk and honey. My office was right downtown in the entertainment district, less than 100 yards from Beale Street and across the street from the Peabody Hotel. The summer I started working there a young guy was shot behind our building and stumbled to our front entrance before dying. His murder was never solved.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:57 AM
ShoreRider
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dennis777
I went to A school there in the 70's. Shake Rag population 34.5! As I recall you could order cold cut plates on a butcher paper. "big spread or small spread"
Shake Rag on its 3rd iteration...and population has exploded since you were last there. Now 44.5

Old 08-09-2016, 06:51 PM
meat_ball
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ShoreRider
Shake Rag on its 3rd iteration...and population has exploded since you were last there. Now 44.5
Shore,

You know of any good mechanics in the area? I am also around there and don't want to have to go to the Harley dealer for service.

Thanks

Old 08-18-2016, 06:07 PM
ShoreRider
Road Master

Haven't found one yet, but honestly, haven't been looking. I have heard some good things about Leatherwood's on Summer. I don't have any specific experience with them though I've been to their shop and they do have some sweet rides in there.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:29 PM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

Finally arrived and starting to explore a little. The riding here is a lot better than what I had in Virginia Beach... a lot slower, but new twisty roads.

Chris

Old 10-30-2016, 11:52 AM
gobblerhuntr
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ben's performance just north of Union City in southern Ky is suppose to be good.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:44 PM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

S&S recommended Leatherwoods to me. FWIW.

Chris

Old 11-04-2016, 10:15 AM
ShoreRider
Road Master

Originally Posted by cmashark
Finally arrived and starting to explore a little. The riding here is a lot better than what I had in Virginia Beach... a lot slower, but new twisty roads.

Chris
Welcome to the area Chris...

I'd say let's get together and get a ride and beer sometime but unfortunately I'm somewhat laid up until March. I was feeling unusually expressive a couple Saturdays ago and decided to perform the World Famous Polish Power Washer Ballet on my porch and missed a step and broke my right wrist and tore 3 of the 4 tendons making up the rotator cuff.

Riding season done for me...

Quick Reply: Moving to the Memphis area