Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

Great Weekend Ride Cumberland Gap & The Snake

Old 07-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Lpye
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Weekend Ride Cumberland Gap & The Snake

Took off this weekend with no general destination. Left Boiling Springs up Highway 9 to 74 to Asheville and then through Hot Springs. Picked up 25 then 25E out of Hot Springs toward Cumberland Gap. Went through the tunnel at Cumberland Gap and spent some time in Cumberland Gap National Park. Decided to stay in Mooresboro, Ky. Left there this morning rode a ways across the southern Kentucky mountains. Picked up 421 through Ky, Va and into Bristol TN. Went south on 421 and rode the Snake. Finished up going through Boone and back down 221 home. Madi it home before 4 pm. Not a rain drop on the entire trip. I think I like the Snake better than the Dragon. It is not nearly as crowded and has some cool sweeping curves and switch backs.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Great Weekend Ride Cumberland Gap & The Snake

Gladya home Safe and sound. Saw a real bad MC wreck yesterday on 11 just west of 101. Can't find any news of it, but it involved fatalities I do believe.
Snake huh, I plotted that out last night, Hambone asked me about that road when we were in Pigeon Forge, first I had heard of it. Gonna have to add it to my list of must Ride!

Old 07-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Lpye
Road Captain

I just got a call that a Medic for one of the Rescue Squads in the County was killed in northern Greenville on Hwy 11. From what I was told his wife was on her bike and went down also.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:57 AM
WZ4I
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rode the "snake" for the first time on Saturday. Quite a few corners had gravel in them. Got behind one trucker who spent more time in the left lane, than the right.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A friend of mine rode up there on Saturday, (I was in Bristol for the drag race). Here's his info from an email he sent me-

Well Carl and I rode up to Shady Valley, TN today. It was perfect weather for a ride. Slightly overcast day and the noticeable lower temps and humidity as we got out of town. We left Gastonia at 8:19am and had breakfast in Boone around 10:30. It's a short ride to Shady Valley, TN from Boone. The road near Shady Valley in called "The Snake" which had some nice twisties and switchbacks similar to "The Dragon, but 129 has tighter twisties and more banked curves. We fell in behind a couple of bikes (woman leading and man following her) and they were going pretty slow so I could just lean back and take in the view. About halfway on The Snake, they pulled over and we stepped it up a bit! Soon after, there seemed to be State Troopers sitting every 1000 - 1500 yards so all the travelers were cautioning each. We got to the General Store around 12:30 so it was 41 miles from Boone and we made it just less than 1hr.
The number of riders were few at the store at the time were got there, but one of the guys there said if we come back in an hour or so, the lot will be filled with riders, sort of like Deal's Gap Store. They recommended that we continue straight on 421 down to the lake, then turn around came back to the store and take a left or right for more good roads to ride. At the lake we were just 10 miles from Bristol, TN. After returning to the cross roads we went to Mountain City, TN through the Cherokee Nat'l Forest Park and back to Boone for lunch. (Pretty through the forest and stream runs next to the road). I got home around 5:30 and was 310 miles r/t.
Nice ride and will do it again one.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Lpye
Road Captain

****** this is the accident you saw.

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbc...22/1067/NEWS01

Old 07-09-2007, 01:49 PM
THABULL
Road Master

ORIGINAL: ******

Gladya home Safe and sound. Saw a real bad MC wreck yesterday on 11 just west of 101. Can't find any news of it, but it involved fatalities I do believe.
Snake huh, I plotted that out last night, Hambone asked me about that road when we were in Pigeon Forge, first I had heard of it. Gonna have to add it to my list of must Ride!
www.motorcycleplayground.com