Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas

Guadalupe Mountains National Park?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 12:18 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 903 Posts
Default Guadalupe Mountains National Park?

Any one take a ride there.I live in Waco and been to Big Bend 3 times and Davis Mountains once. Planning on trip to Guadalupe Mountains next month. Wondering if any one has been there and has tips on what to look out for and forward to. Camp sites, motels, gas stations, place to get something to eat,etc. Maybe run up to Carlsbad Caverns.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:42 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,797 Likes on 1,674 Posts

There really isn't much there. The only roads there are the main hwys (a few hiking trails) and Pine Springs is the nearest town and if I remember correctly, there isn't any gas or food there. I'm not sure if there is any camping there. That area is also notorious for high winds. I used to live in Monahans, and that was an easy day trip for me. Carlsbad Caverns is about an hour away from there and the city of Carlsbad is about a half hour from the caverns. There is a gas station in Whites City, but it is possible that it has closed.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:32 PM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you talking about the Guadalupe Mountian pass between El Paso and Carlsbad? If so go to the caverns but try to ride in Cloudcroft, Ruidoso and Lincoln area........much better ridding.

Enjoy New Mexico and ride safe!

Old 04-22-2009, 01:28 AM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by ChromeJunkie
There really isn't much there. The only roads there are the main hwys (a few hiking trails) and Pine Springs is the nearest town and if I remember correctly, there isn't any gas or food there. I'm not sure if there is any camping there. That area is also notorious for high winds. I used to live in Monahans, and that was an easy day trip for me. Carlsbad Caverns is about an hour away from there and the city of Carlsbad is about a half hour from the caverns. There is a gas station in Whites City, but it is possible that it has closed.
Big Bend is out there. But, you can get gas at both ends and in the middle. Boquillas Canyon at one end. Panther Junction in the middle at park entrance and Study Butte at the other end. Sounds like Guadalupe is more challanging than Big Bend. In the aspect of running out of gas. No gas no go.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Beeracuda
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to see another Waco rider on here. There's not many of us on the forum...

Originally Posted by cayers
Are you talking about the Guadalupe Mountian pass between El Paso and Carlsbad? If so go to the caverns but try to ride in Cloudcroft, Ruidoso and Lincoln area........much better ridding.

If you go up towards Cloudcroft, you have to ride over to Sunspot to see the solar observatory!

Old 04-24-2009, 11:25 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cayers

Agree, a lot to see in the area. Weed, Pinon, Mayhill, all good areas.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:46 AM
TX-South
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me and the wife are thinking about BigBend on the Ultra this summer or fall. Not sure yet what we want to do or where to stay.

I was in NM in January ( rented a car ). Stayed in TAOS NM for 5 nights. Beautiful country up there and encourage anyone on here to check it out. We were time limited and couldn't have ridden the bike if we wanted to. Did 3200 Miles!