Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got my bike back together!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 03:53 PM
PumpinIron
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If only I could get the Chinese to make me a knock off for less than half the price, LOL!

Old 09-20-2014, 07:04 PM
rdunnill
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PumpinIron
Anyways, hopefully you guys like the way it's coming along so far!
How much work was it to disassemble the transmission? I'd like to have the case on my 883L finished in a similar fashion.

FYI, it started out as a 2008 XL1200N Nightster in Black.
I had one of those, and big plans for it, until my accident. Afterwards, I traded it in on a 2014 Superlow with ABS.

Last edited by rdunnill; 10-04-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:20 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Not crazy about the blue on my 1200C, and now I think I know what should replace it. I think red looks good with chrome, too, and with the blacked out motor, think it would work just fine. Nice pics. Even if they might cost me...

Old 09-21-2014, 08:27 AM
brucepancake
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So, I spent the past several weeks having my engine cases powder coated. I had the rocker covers (upper and lower) done, the primary cover, sprocket cover, cam cover, and derby cover. The rest of the engine I prepped and then painted with the Harley factory texture black paint.

At the same time I also installed the ever so popular Vance & Hines short shorts. I also removed my fenders and tank and had them custom painted by my painted who did them candy apple red but used Harley Hard Candy paint. So, in the photos you can't tell but up close and in the sun the paint is nothing but pure red metallic sparkle, it really looks mind blowing!

I also installed forward controls, the LED rear taillight, and that's about it. Next up is an air intake, a DynoJet Power Vision, some Ohlins rear shocks, and a few other goodies.

Anyways, hopefully you guys like the way it's coming along so far!

FYI, it started out as a 2008 XL1200N Nightster in Black.

Iron is that a decal on the tank that you added after you painted it? I am getting ready to paint my tank and was unsure if I was going to leave it clear.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:01 AM
PumpinIron
Cruiser

Originally Posted by brucepancake
Iron is that a decal on the tank that you added after you painted it? I am getting ready to paint my tank and was unsure if I was going to leave it clear.
No decal. My painter painted the lettering on the tank and then put several layers of clearcoat over the top. He used a stencil for the letters obviously.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:39 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What do you guys think about one of these for the air intake?

https://www.denniskirk.com/hyperchar...prd/185557.sku
Those are crap they always have been. The bigger the filter the better an air cleaner works, that's the real rule when it comes to air cleaners at least if you are looking for performance, it should also have a velocity stack inside it , if it's just for looks ha it looks great it just won't work like it's suppose to very long if ever. I believe in a NHRS style forward mount air cleaner, not as cool looking but they work.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:58 PM
06Sporty75
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

really nice, have those side covers painted in red too, hopefully your paint guy still has some paint left over.. but that would look killer. I love the side covers that match the tanks.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:10 PM
DevilDog85
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PumpIron I was meaning to ask you if your fender is chopped. It almost doesn’t seem like it is. I'm asking because mine is not and I'm about to buy the so called "Chopped Fender Tail Light Kit" from HD that’s $99.95, but I saw one on Amazon for $42.99 and I could buy the 2 Pin housing, three-way 73103-96BK and 3 Harness, interconnect 70683-08 parts for about $12 bucks at the dealer.Sorry I’m blabbing back to my question if your fender is not chopped is the light visible or does it point down more than anything lighting up the wheel more? IS IT WORTH IT if the fender is not chopped?

HD
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...edge-light-kit

Amazon (It says it wont fit a 14', but i feel like giving it a shot)
Amazon.com: Areyoushop Chopped Fender Edge LED Taillight for Harley Iron 883 Xl883n Xl1200n Xl1200v Smoke: Automotive Amazon.com: Areyoushop Chopped Fender Edge LED Taillight for Harley Iron 883 Xl883n Xl1200n Xl1200v Smoke: Automotive

Old 09-26-2014, 11:19 PM
PumpinIron
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DevilDog85
PumpIron I was meaning to ask you if your fender is chopped. It almost doesn’t seem like it is. I'm asking because mine is not and I'm about to buy the so called "Chopped Fender Tail Light Kit" from HD that’s $99.95, but I saw one on Amazon for $42.99 and I could buy the 2 Pin housing, three-way 73103-96BK and 3 Harness, interconnect 70683-08 parts for about $12 bucks at the dealer.Sorry I’m blabbing back to my question if your fender is not chopped is the light visible or does it point down more than anything lighting up the wheel more? IS IT WORTH IT if the fender is not chopped?

HD
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...edge-light-kit

Amazon (It says it wont fit a 14', but i feel like giving it a shot)
Amazon.com: Areyoushop Chopped Fender Edge LED Taillight for Harley Iron 883 Xl883n Xl1200n Xl1200v Smoke: Automotive
Well, technically speaking the Nightster comes with a 'chopped' fender. A lot of people end up chopping it much further than it comes from the factory but I like the stock look of the Fender so I haven't messed with it at all. It's a 100% bone stock Nightster 'chopped' fender.

The LED taillight that I have on mine (which is the OEM Harley taillight) points down ever so slightly but not much at all in all honesty. That being said, I've checked it out from behind and it's more than visible in the day and night, not a worry there.

Lastly, I looked around before I bought this LED taillight from Harley. There are knock offs of it on eBay, Amazon, etc. and while they look identical and presumably will bolt on just as easy as the Harley one, I question whether or not they include all the little connectors and such that come with the Harley taillight.

I didn't want to play a guessing game so I just dropped the money and got the factory Harley one (if you order it from Kutter HD online it's about $70 I believe). The factory Harley taillight (the one on my bike) plugs right in. I installed it in about 5 minutes (once the fender was removed) so it was really one of those no-brainer type deals!

Old 09-26-2014, 11:21 PM
PumpinIron
Cruiser

Here ya go:

http://www.kutterharleyonline.com/ha...t-kit-68000105

Much cheaper from these guys (everything they sell from Harley is much cheaper) and if you order some other things and make the order $100 or more it's free shipping!

No affiliation with them at all, I just order all my Harley parts from these guys since their prices are better than any of the Harley dealers out there, by quite a bit!

Quick Reply: Finally got my bike back together!