Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron 883 ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 03:51 AM
BenVizi
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iron 883 ??

I'm 18, I'm wanting to get a bike and have really been stuck on the HD Iron 883. Is this a good first bike? What are the pros and cons of it? Also, I'm just under 6'1" and 185 lbs., Is that a good fit or should I go to a HD dealer and get a feel for them myself?

Old 09-20-2014, 10:47 AM
Zanejjnelson1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BenVizi
I'm 18, I'm wanting to get a bike and have really been stuck on the HD Iron 883. Is this a good first bike? What are the pros and cons of it? Also, I'm just under 6'1" and 185 lbs., Is that a good fit or should I go to a HD dealer and get a feel for them myself?
Have you ever ridden before? If not you should certainly get them to bundle the motorcycle safety class into the deal if you buy it from the dealership. That being said I started on an Iron 883, loved the look of it, but just like everyone says after about 3-6 months you will really start wanting more power, depending on how much you ride. I did a full stage 1 on my old Iron and it helped a little but it really isn't the same as a 1200 engine. Yes you can do an engine upgrade, but its really only worth it if you are buying used so it doesn't void a new warranty. Plus its also a lot of money to drop down in one go. If you really like the Iron try and find a Nightster in your area, pretty much the same look but they are 1200's, or go the route of the 48 like I eventually did.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:35 AM
shackdaddy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Iron is a great bike. Like stated above, people complain of wanting more power or outgrowing the bike after a few months. The problem is these people are looking more at what they want vs. what they need. Do you want a bike that has an awesome 1/4 mile time and can fly down the interstate? If so, look somewhere else. If you are wanting a bike that is on the lower end price wise and can do everything you need it to do, go with the 883. I have no issue keeping up with twin cams. I can ride at 75 to 80 all day and every now and then, when not paying attention, 90mph. The bike is easily modified to fit the look you want and allows you to have fun.

Will I ever do the 1200 or 1250 upgrade? Probably. However, when I get to that point, it will be because I want to do the upgrade and have done everything else I wanted first. If youre 18, I would say go the Sportster route without a doubt. There is no reason to go with some overly expensive bike at this point and put yourself in a financial hardship early in life. You will have plenty of time and hopefully be making more money later on to go play with the big bikes.

You should without a doubt go to a dealership and get a feel for all the bikes. I also recommend being open to everything. Dont go in thinking you have to buy a Harley. Go in thinking you have to find the right bike for you. If that is a triumph, honda, etc then so be it. If you go around and try all the bikes out and the Iron/Sportster look is what you truly like best, then you will come back. Just dont go in dead set on one thing and then two days after you buy it see another bike you like better and regret the decision. Take some time and research everything. That way you know in the end that you made the best informed decision possible and got what YOU wanted. Look on Craigslist and you will see tons of bikes on there with low miles and fairly new. A lot of times this is because people bought a bike on a whim and then a few weeks or months later decided either they dont like riding, or they liked something else better. Dont be another Craigslist ad. Find YOUR bike and you will have no issues and will be happy for years to come.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:08 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by shackdaddy
The Iron is a great bike. Like stated above, people complain of wanting more power or outgrowing the bike after a few months. The problem is these people are looking more at what they want vs. what they need. Do you want a bike that has an awesome 1/4 mile time and can fly down the interstate? If so, look somewhere else. If you are wanting a bike that is on the lower end price wise and can do everything you need it to do, go with the 883. I have no issue keeping up with twin cams. I can ride at 75 to 80 all day and every now and then, when not paying attention, 90mph. The bike is easily modified to fit the look you want and allows you to have fun.

Will I ever do the 1200 or 1250 upgrade? Probably. However, when I get to that point, it will be because I want to do the upgrade and have done everything else I wanted first. If youre 18, I would say go the Sportster route without a doubt. There is no reason to go with some overly expensive bike at this point and put yourself in a financial hardship early in life. You will have plenty of time and hopefully be making more money later on to go play with the big bikes.

You should without a doubt go to a dealership and get a feel for all the bikes. I also recommend being open to everything. Dont go in thinking you have to buy a Harley. Go in thinking you have to find the right bike for you. If that is a triumph, honda, etc then so be it. If you go around and try all the bikes out and the Iron/Sportster look is what you truly like best, then you will come back. Just dont go in dead set on one thing and then two days after you buy it see another bike you like better and regret the decision. Take some time and research everything. That way you know in the end that you made the best informed decision possible and got what YOU wanted. Look on Craigslist and you will see tons of bikes on there with low miles and fairly new. A lot of times this is because people bought a bike on a whim and then a few weeks or months later decided either they dont like riding, or they liked something else better. Dont be another Craigslist ad. Find YOUR bike and you will have no issues and will be happy for years to come.
^^^ THIS ^^^

Remember the three P's...patience, patience, patience!

Yes, you don't have to go brand new! There are plenty of deals out there on used Irons due to the very unsubstantiated claims that one MUST have a 1200-1250cc Sportster or you're a super chick! Don't listen to them!!!

As proof of this, I own an '09 Iron that I purchased second hand from a local stealership, with 1,360 miles on it for $6,000. It had forwards [which I desired because I'm 6'-0"] and an already slightly dented tank! No biggie, part of the deal was a brand new HD fuel tank and fenders, which I installed myself, 'cept for the tank because I think the dent lends a little bit of character to the bike, and since it's already got a dent in it [it's barely noticeable] I don't have to worry about denting it myself, LOL! I have sofar only spent minimal funds on it for slip-ons, intake and Power Vision tuner, the combination of which make for a pretty snappy ride. Do I feel the leat bit intimidated by the mighty 1200 or overweight guys with hairy arms and novelty helmets riding baggers? Hell no! Can my bike get out of it's own way? Absofreakinlutely. If I want uber performance that pulls me off the seat and sinks my eyeballs into their sockets, instead of trying to make a Sportster into a rocketship that it ain't for X amount of rediculous dollars, I bought an '05 Hayabusa for that. Finito.

Oh, a question...are you a new rider or do you have experience? If you're new to the game I strongly suggest you take the basic MSF course so you can learn the good stuff, plus if you pass you'll be given a certificate that waives the road test; just bring it down to your local DMV and fill out a motorcycle license application, lay down a few smackers and voila', yer done! All that's left to do is get a bike and insurance for it, and off you go!

Best wishes, ride safe, and welcome to the forum.

=8^)

Old 09-20-2014, 12:28 PM
BenVizi
Stage III

Thanks for all the replies and yes, I am a new rider and I was looking into the classes at the HD dealer because the last thing I want is to get a bike and lay it down! Thanks for all the tips guys! It really helps!

Old 09-20-2014, 12:49 PM
shackdaddy
Cruiser

Personal Opinion here, but dont take the Harley BRC unless you buy a bike from them and it is included for free. From what I have seen of the class and personally knowing instructors of the Harley classes, it is nothing but a Harley sales pitch. They are more worried about getting you to ride a Harley than anything. The HD classes usually run 100-150 more than the other classes. There is no difference in what you learn. The MSF sets the same standards for every BRC. So no matter where you go, you will get the same lessons and have to pass the same tests.

Also, depending on your state, take the state sponsored course. Most states will issue you a license with a BRC completion card within the last 6 to 12 months. Some states, Georgia for instance, dont recognize the MSF BRC but instead have created their own course. They are generally the same price and you will get the same lessons for the most part, but the end of course riding exam incorporates the state's license driving course. When you pass their course, you automatically get your license. Like I said it is the same price and you get the same stuff out of it, but you wont have to go through the hassle of retaking the tests and driving exam. Just look up your states laws before you make a decision. My personal belief is that everyone should take a BRC before riding. It gives you the opportunity to learn and make mistakes on someone elses bike on a closed course in a controlled environment.

I was lucky and took it for free. It is a requirement to pass the course in order to ride if you are in the military. So the Army contracts people to run the course for Soldiers at no charge. If not for this, I would have taken the Georgia course to same myself some time and trouble in order to get my license.

Last edited by shackdaddy; 09-20-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:38 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

883 is a good first bike ...some things I have learned from 40+ years of riding...
1.) take the class...they didn't have it when I started riding, and although I had been riding many years before I took the class I learned a ton from the class, and actually had to unlearn a bunch of bad behaviors..
2.) everyone drops a bike eventually, the saying goes that there are 2 types of
bikers those that have crashed and those who will crash, the best you can hope for is that you are as prepared for that crash as possible (i.e., wear protection, check out the bike)..
3.) why buy new, it will be used when you have it?? and you save a bunch of $$$...
4.) if #3 scares you...good ...you should be scared...being scared will help keep you alive and fully functional..
5.) most people crash after the first month of riding and before the first year of riding is done....the reason being, when they first ride they are scared and careful but after riding for a month (or 2) they get a little cocky and careless and not having a lot of experience "riding on the edge of control" mistakenly push the bike and themselves farther than they should for the situation...
6.) some folks say 2 wheels 2 drinks, I say 2 wheels no drinks..
7.) join the HD hog club and do the rides..you will learn more on one ride than in a year of riding....
8.) you need to believe that everyone driving a car wants to kill you..

Old 09-22-2014, 04:10 AM
Pistolharry
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrfikser
883 is a good first bike ...some things I have learned from 40+ years of riding...
1.) take the class...they didn't have it when I started riding, and although I had been riding many years before I took the class I learned a ton from the class, and actually had to unlearn a bunch of bad behaviors..
2.) everyone drops a bike eventually, the saying goes that there are 2 types of
bikers those that have crashed and those who will crash, the best you can hope for is that you are as prepared for that crash as possible (i.e., wear protection, check out the bike)..
3.) why buy new, it will be used when you have it?? and you save a bunch of $$$...
4.) if #3 scares you...good ...you should be scared...being scared will help keep you alive and fully functional..
5.) most people crash after the first month of riding and before the first year of riding is done....the reason being, when they first ride they are scared and careful but after riding for a month (or 2) they get a little cocky and careless and not having a lot of experience "riding on the edge of control" mistakenly push the bike and themselves farther than they should for the situation...
6.) some folks say 2 wheels 2 drinks, I say 2 wheels no drinks..
7.) join the HD hog club and do the rides..you will learn more on one ride than in a year of riding....
8.) you need to believe that everyone driving a car wants to kill you..

Very nicely put..