Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery not charging

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 07:29 AM
Disastarr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by run1fsr
You should be reading approx 14 volts at the battery when the bike is running. If no voltage increase with increased RPMs, and the stator checks out okay, I would think you've a bad regulator.
Any other way to test this without swapping out the regulator?

Old 09-21-2014, 07:31 AM
Disastarr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by elfnyc
if u want to check your results i think this should help ya

http://blog.jpcycles.com/step-by-ste...arging-system/
I did every test on that list, only ones I couldn't get accurate measurements on were the resistance tests, since my cheapo meter doesn't have an ohm x1 scale on it.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:36 AM
Disastarr
Cruiser

check the connection at the regulator plug - do the pins look corroded or lose or screwed up , or melted? make sure the plug really does make a GOOD connection

my buddy had a problem like u describe - i just remembered it now lol
same thing happen -- turns out his plug was corroded and almost melted, which i guess was from a lose connection , and wasnt making good connection - we fixed plug ends and all worked great after this -- just a thought
Nothing corroded nothing melted, but when I pulled the stator plug apart the terminals had oil on them. Apparently residue left over from changing out the oil filter. I cleaned the terminals good both sides and put everything back. Didn't think that would be an issue anymore but who knows.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:54 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

There are two Stickies in the Tech Electrical section that will help you check and diagnose your charging circuit. Don't replace anything until you have identified the problem! Buy yourself a multimeter for around 10-20 bucks.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:32 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
There are two Stickies in the Tech Electrical section that will help you check and diagnose your charging circuit. Don't replace anything until you have identified the problem! Buy yourself a multimeter for around 10-20 bucks.
Agreed. Purchase a better digital multi meter and read the troubleshooting steps. Appears that your system is not charging.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:51 PM
Disastarr
Cruiser

It's definitely not charging, well at least not like it should be. I ran through the tests in one of the stickies and I get no continuity from the stator leads to ground as it should be I also checked the leads going into the regulator with a test light and there was no light again as it should be. The only test i'm having trouble proving is the resistance test with the stator. I might need to get a better meter mine only goes as low as a 200 ohm scale, set to that I am reading .9 across the leads going to the stator? I pulled the inspection cover off the primary too, just to make sure I didn't get a nasty smell, as others had suggested. Although I really don't like the smell of 90 weight oil, it smells no different in the primary than it does in the bottle new.

Just wish there was something that would point me in a definite direction.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:25 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

very weird . have to keep us updated on this one - i will have to dig into my book an have a look

Old 09-22-2014, 04:31 AM
Disastarr
Cruiser

very weird . have to keep us updated on this one - i will have to dig into my book an have a look
You come up with anything I haven't tried yet, lemme know.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:52 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

you checked the stator and it tests good when running and it is not shorted, so all is good there...the regulator tests good BUT you are not getting the proper voltage at the battery...So I would check the voltage at the output to regulator to see if you are loosing it on the way to the battery..if the voltage is low at the regulator even when you rev. it up some it is the regulator....if it is good at the regulator you have a issue with the wiring between the regulator and the battery....have you had the new battery load tested just to make sure its not faulty?? stranger things have happened....another thing that bothers me is that it went dead when the bike was off for a week, I would check to make sure that you don't have another issue with a short somewhere (bad regulator diodes can cause this issue also)....I don't have a wiring diagram near me, but it seems to me that the charging wire between the reg. and the battery goes some other places (fuse box?? ignition??) anyway check all that out, it only takes one funky connection to stop the battery from charging ...

Old 09-22-2014, 07:00 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Disastarr
It starts fine without issue once the battery is charged or jumped, so I wouldn't think it had anything to do with the starter or relay. I checked the battery voltage while running with full choke and hitting the throttle and still the voltage doesn't go above 12.2?

I believe there is another start relay that energizes when you turn the key on ..different than the one for the starter motor relay, and if it is stuck it will cause your battery to go dead when the key is off....like I said I don't have the wiring diagram near me (I am at work and it is home) so I am kinda just pulling stuff out of my orifices)....

Quick Reply: battery not charging