Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrades for 2 up riding

Old 09-21-2014, 07:20 AM
Don-T
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Upgrades for 2 up riding

My wife and I plan to start living and traveling full time in a travel trailer in a year or less. We are taking a motorcycle with us when we go. I am thinking about some upgrades to the Sportster for 2 up riding instead of trying to haul the RGU around with us. I have a set or rear air shocks on the way from Ebay, I hope they are good. I also have an issue of the front forks bottoming out. I am going to order a set of progressive springs for the front. I am not sure which would be better, the standard or the heavy duty. Our combined weight is about 370 pounds and we will likely carry a backpack or something similar with us on day trips. I would like opinions on which front springs would work best.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:32 AM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What tire brand and size are you running.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:44 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Don't use progressive-rate springs, use single-rate ones. Race Tech has a guide to the correct rate on their website. Installing them with the correct sag should ensure you get the best ride. You could also consider, while in there, adding Ricor Intiminators, which should improve the damping, hence ride quality. I have tried Ricor's Emulators but had no success with them, so don't recommend them.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:15 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-T
My wife and I plan to start living and traveling full time in a travel trailer in a year or less. We are taking a motorcycle with us when we go. I am thinking about some upgrades to the Sportster for 2 up riding instead of trying to haul the RGU around with us. I have a set or rear air shocks on the way from Ebay, I hope they are good. I also have an issue of the front forks bottoming out. I am going to order a set of progressive springs for the front. I am not sure which would be better, the standard or the heavy duty. Our combined weight is about 370 pounds and we will likely carry a backpack or something similar with us on day trips. I would like opinions on which front springs would work best.
With that kind of load, (within ~50 lbs. of the bike's GVWR) heavy duty would likely be a wise choice. The Progressive break-point for choosing Normal vs Heavy Duty is typically at 200 lbs (rider weight), but I recommend checking their website to be sure.

If you choose single-rate shocks/springs over progressive, remember that they will be just that, fixed-rate for 370 lbs. If you plan to do any solo riding on the bike, the suspension will be pretty harsh.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:20 PM
Don-T
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be doing plenty of solo riding too. That is why I am thinking about progressive coils. I should have noted that too. For the weight, I am leaning toward the heavy duty and I am hoping, being progressive it will be ok riding solo. I have the stock size tires on the bike with a 21" front wheel. The previous owner put new Michelin tires on it just before I bought it.