Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How loud are my Cobra Slip ons?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 07:40 AM
JerseyDoug
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default How loud are my Cobra Slip ons?

I recently installed 3" Cobra slip-ons on my 2011 1200C. Not ever having put aftermarket exhausts on a bike previously, I was surprised by how loud they are. If I was a bit younger and didn't care, i'd be happy with them.

Basically, I've seen comments that the Cobras aren't loud and comments that they are loud. What I am trying to figure is what is the perceived loudness of these slip-ons to passersby? (I know, I could ask, but that is kinda hard to do at the time.) I know they are going to sound loudest to me as I am sitting on top of them and the front pipe exhaust is right next to my ear.

I want louder than stock, but not obnoxious I like my neighbors. I am just wondering if they are too loud. I have ordered the quiet baffles for them to see if that reduces the volume a bit.

Opinions? Recommendations?

Old 10-02-2014, 08:31 AM
crawrj
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JerseyDoug
I recently installed 3" Cobra slip-ons on my 2011 1200C. Not ever having put aftermarket exhausts on a bike previously, I was surprised by how loud they are. If I was a bit younger and didn't care, i'd be happy with them.

Basically, I've seen comments that the Cobras aren't loud and comments that they are loud. What I am trying to figure is what is the perceived loudness of these slip-ons to passersby? (I know, I could ask, but that is kinda hard to do at the time.) I know they are going to sound loudest to me as I am sitting on top of them and the front pipe exhaust is right next to my ear.

I want louder than stock, but not obnoxious I like my neighbors. I am just wondering if they are too loud. I have ordered the quiet baffles for them to see if that reduces the volume a bit.

Opinions? Recommendations?
The only true way to know is to see for yourself. You could have someone hit the throttle while you sit in a car parked close. Or you could have someone you know ride next to you in a car or pass you going the other way then ask them what it sounded like. Or as all else fails, you could set your phone or other recording device at a distance and ride past it a few times while it is recording. Then play it back to see how it sounds. That wouldn't be my first choice because it wouldn't be true live sound but might help if you have no other options. My point is you aren't going to really learn anything about your situation here. Because we all have different hearing, like different sounds and so on. You are the only one that can answer that question.

I will say that I have the Cobra PowerPro HP 2 into 1. My criteria was that I wanted a deep rumbling sound that wasn't so loud it was obnoxious. And luckily that is exactly what I got, in my taste and hearing. Actually I am kind of hoping that it will get just a little bit louder as it breaks in. If it doesn't I will still be extremely happy with them. But if it does than that is good also.

Last edited by crawrj; 10-02-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:52 AM
JerseyDoug
Tourer

Thanks crawrj. I know the bottom-line is that loudness is subjective and the final decision is mine. Unless I get pulled over!

Well, if I don't figure sit out sooner, I'll have answer on Sunday. I am going on a charity ride to Atlantic City and I should be able to get some opinions from fellow riders. Might even stumble on someone who has them installed on a similar sporty. I should have the "quiet" baffles in by that time.

I'm probably over concerned about what others think.

I know that my neighbor's kid has ticked me off more than once with his race quad. First I'd have to listen to him rev it up as he worked on it. (Our back yards are connected.) Then he would take off around the neighborhood on a test ride. That thing was too loud the next block over!

Anyhoo, thanks for your thoughts.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:39 PM
fdh161
Supporter
Received 193 Likes on 94 Posts

I have an app on my iPhone called SoundMeter+. Cost I think $2.99. It will tell you exactly how loud the pipes are! I believe there are even some decibel meters in the Apple App Store for free. I imagine you can probably find equivalent apps for Android.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:20 PM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

Yeah, I don't like real loud pipes either. Thats what keeps me from putting aftermarket mufflers on mine although I would like to get rid of the catalytic converters. Hope the baffles work out for you.

I see you on that other forum that don't like us real well.

hexnut

Old 10-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fdh161
I have an app on my iPhone called SoundMeter+. Cost I think $2.99. It will tell you exactly how loud the pipes are! I believe there are even some decibel meters in the Apple App Store for free. I imagine you can probably find equivalent apps for Android.
The decibel meters that use a phone's internal mic are very iffy when it comes to loud sounds as they are limited by the phone's mic and internal circuitry.

For example, using the Android "Sound Meter" app as an example, certain phones (Galaxy S3) cannot detect anything louder than 81 decibels. If you get an 81 decibel reading, all you really know is that the sound pressure level is at least 81 decibels, but it could be higher by any amount. So an 82 decibel sound will register as "81 decibels" on the S3, but so would a 120 decibel sound.

Basically, while the apps do well enough within the normal ranges of human voice (between about 30 and 70 decibels), they aren't reliable at high volumes because the phone's mic isn't set up to handle that.

Also, remember that phone mics are set up to respond best to human vocal frequencies and often have poor response to sounds in very low or very high frequencies. So there's a good chance that the mic isn't able to properly pick up a motorcycle's exhaust.

I don't mean to say he shouldn't try using one of these apps, but he should be aware of its limitations, especially if he gets a reading above about 80 decibels, which could be correct, or could simply be the upper limit for his device with the real reading being a little (or a lot) higher.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:18 PM
JerseyDoug
Tourer

Originally Posted by hexnut
Yeah, I don't like real loud pipes either. Thats what keeps me from putting aftermarket mufflers on mine although I would like to get rid of the catalytic converters. Hope the baffles work out for you.

I see you on that other forum that don't like us real well.

hexnut
yep, recognized your screen name. Can't understand why they don't like us over there.

Well, if the baffles don't work out, someone recommended installing some lollipops. It either that or I'll just get the screaming' eagle set. Also, I didn't realize I was removing the catalytic converter when I removed the stock mufflers. oops!

Old 10-03-2014, 04:37 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have removeable baffles , there's always a way to tone them down.
If the mufflers have a 3" straight muffler body , there are probably at least 20 different sets that you could look at at jpcycles.
If you can look through them end to end , they will be fairly loud.
The DK baffle things might be a quick way to tone them down , maybe even use the original baffle mount bolt hole to mount it.
Of course if you think they are too loud , then they are .....
Mick

Old 10-03-2014, 05:21 PM
JerseyDoug
Tourer

Yep, you can see straight down. Nothing in the way. I have a set of quiet baffles on order.

Oddly enough, I had my daughter stand in my neighbors drive way about 25 feet away as I drove by. She said not that loud and she couldn't hater me the next street over due to another neighbor mowing the yard.

I'm going on a group ride Sunday so I'll get some opinions.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:47 AM
MikeZ
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

From what I've heard, the Cobras sound good -- not too over-the-top and well balanced. If you're used to stock, then anything is going to sound loud. Go listen to some V&H full systems and other bikes and compare. If you don't like it, you can always go with Screamin Eagles.

Quick Reply: How loud are my Cobra Slip ons?