Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: 39MM Wide-glide conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 10:30 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Question

So I pulled the trigger and picked the mid-glide front end and wheels. I am totally green when it comes to doing something this big like changing the whole front-end including the wheel. Just give more info, I plan to change my current stock narrow-glide front-end and 21" spoke wheel with 2011-up Sportster SuperLow stock front-end (mid-glide triple-trees, forks, front brakeline and wheel)

I am not new to wrenching and have a decent common sense to follow a certain process and put a bolt back where it came from.

However things like balancing wheels, bearings and such I have no idea about. I am sure the experienced wrenches will chime in to help a newbie out.

Can someone please point to a thread or resource that can help me out with the process??

This is everything I have that will be replacing my current front-end except for the rear wheel which I don't plan to replace right now.

Last edited by kingxirol; 10-10-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 582 Posts

Do you have the FSM for your bike? Not only will it tell you how to remove the existing front end, it will also help you identify the issues for the installation of the new front end. Admittedly, the details won't be the same because it's a different front end, but at least you'll be able to see the process of reinstalling the front end.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:17 AM
kingxirol
Road Master
Smile

Originally Posted by Roni
Do you have the FSM for your bike? Not only will it tell you how to remove the existing front end, it will also help you identify the issues for the installation of the new front end. Admittedly, the details won't be the same because it's a different front end, but at least you'll be able to see the process of reinstalling the front end.
Thanks Roni - I do have the Factory Service Manual (I believe this is what you meant). I am going through it at the moment but the diagrams in there are terrible so it's taking a bit if time to understand.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:43 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Question

So I finally pulled the trigger and picked up this whole setup for $700 (in below thread) which I think is a fair deal (checked eBay/Amazon for all the parts I received and they were coming to roughly $2k plus).

Seeking out expert help from people who have done this conversion to answer some of the questions I have. I am sure you would like to help a noob wrencher out.

1. Will it be a direct swap meaning take off my current front-end setup and bolt on the new one? (Personally I think so as the new mid-glide setup is stock with 0-degree rake)
2. On the current setup, do I need to take the wheel off first or I can just remove the whole front-end unbolting the triple trees from the frame? I understand headlight, brakeline etc. will have to come off too.
3. in the new set-up, the forks and triple trees are connected but the front wheel is not bolted yet. Do I replace the trees/forks setup first and then connect the wheel or vice-versa?
4. Things I need to watch out for as I will be doing it for the first time.

I hope you do take time to read through this rather long email and help out a newbie wrencher! :-)

Last edited by kingxirol; 10-14-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:03 PM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Doesn't the Wide Glide front fork change the handling of the Sportster. Making it harder to make turns and all.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:31 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Originally Posted by Curt1953
Doesn't the Wide Glide front fork change the handling of the Sportster. Making it harder to make turns and all.
Hi Curt,

It actually is a setup of mid-glide trees with 39mm forks (stock setup on 2011+ SuperLow). I've ridden one such SuperLow and they ride just fine. I wouldn't know about 41mm wide-glide setup on a Sportster though.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:53 PM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by kingxirol
Hi Curt,

It actually is a setup of mid-glide trees with 39mm forks (stock setup on 2011+ SuperLow). I've ridden one such SuperLow and they ride just fine. I wouldn't know about 41mm wide-glide setup on a Sportster though.
Okay, I see now. We both have the same bike.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:07 PM
charlieapes
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Handling?

Originally Posted by Curt1953
I have been running a wide glide front end on my 2002 XL for three years, handles just fine. I have 17" apes on it and you would never know the front end wan't made for the bike. about to swap out the 19" mag for a 21" 60 spoke tubeless.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:27 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kingxirol
Hi Curt,

Please post your outcome, pics etc so we can get a look at a sportie with that type of tripple tree front end, I believe many would be interested in a mini-chopper.

Good luck,

Old 10-18-2014, 08:10 AM
kingxirol
Road Master
Originally Posted by DavidStiebel
Please post your outcome, pics etc so we can get a look at a sportie with that type of tripple tree front end, I believe many would be interested in a mini-chopper.

Good luck,

Sure thing David. I will mostly be doing this mini-project this week and try to take pics of the whole process and the final outcome.

Quick Reply: Question: 39MM Wide-glide conversion