Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2012 Forty Eight Build (Pic intensive)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 07:40 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

thats one pretty scoot you got yourself ! awsome job maken it yours

Old 10-21-2014, 12:25 AM
PSU
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Beautiful bike. Love the attention to detail.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:59 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Very nice work, it's turning out great! I know you gotta be pleased with it!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-21-2014, 05:43 AM
brasher
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Very nice work, it's turning out great! I know you gotta be pleased with it!
Thankyou.

And also Thankyou for the Gift voucher after winning a category in your XL forum photo comp, unfortunately I have not cashed it in yet but plan to soon on a lowering link.

I have just bought a set of Legend Air ride for this, so hopefully have that installed soon and regain some comfort for longer rides.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:05 PM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First, love the bike, the paint makes it in my opinion.

Second, I had a set of those Legend Air ride shocks, they're no doubt a better ride than stock shocks or lowering shocks by a pretty long shot but I wasn't as impressed with them as I hoped I'd be. I found the ride to be very similar in feel and comfort to when I was running the touring bike air ride shocks, which are significantly cheaper. I felt really their only benefit was being able to adjust pressure on the fly between 2 up/solo, and then being able to dump the air out when parked to make it look super low. Definitely look into a lowering link as well(which I see you said you were) as once they're full of air they're 12" long, which would put you sitting higher up than stock.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:25 PM
brasher
Tourer

Originally Posted by HERE
First, love the bike, the paint makes it in my opinion.

Second, I had a set of those Legend Air ride shocks, they're no doubt a better ride than stock shocks or lowering shocks by a pretty long shot but I wasn't as impressed with them as I hoped I'd be. I found the ride to be very similar in feel and comfort to when I was running the touring bike air ride shocks, which are significantly cheaper. I felt really their only benefit was being able to adjust pressure on the fly between 2 up/solo, and then being able to dump the air out when parked to make it look super low. Definitely look into a lowering link as well(which I see you said you were) as once they're full of air they're 12" long, which would put you sitting higher up than stock.
Thanks,

I got them for a good price when compared to new, even if they are the older type and not rebound adjustable.

The ability to have it ride like a caddilac, and then dump it to the ground when parked was the biggest driver for me.

I currently have the Licks 10 inch "shocks" i put this is quotation marks as they don't move at all, I'm 200lb's and they don't move the tiniest amount, it does look great sitting that low, but any sort of reasonable miles in the saddle becomes a chore. So any improvement over those shocks will be a welcome change!

I am planning to go a one inch lowering link, did you have any issues with rubbing when aired out? You bike was one of the inspirations I had when going with the air ride It looks fantastic.

Last edited by brasher; 10-21-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:25 AM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea when I got mine I traded a set of stock 48 shocks plus $300 for the entire kit, it was too good to pass up.

You'll notice a big difference in ride over those Licks shocks as I've heard they're very harsh.

I actually sold my air ride, about a year ago I got really freaked out by alot of guys locally going down on bike/fatal motorcycle accidents in my area. So I actually parked the bike, removed a bunch of parts with the intention of selling it off. Sold the air ride and over various pieces but never sold the bike. Pulled it out the corner, fresh gas, fresh battery, and fired it up for the first time in over a year last week. It's been a bit of mental struggle to get back into it but I'm coming around.

When I had mine I ran the Legend shocks and a 1" lowering block. When fully aired up this put the height closeish to the stock 48 height. With the air dumped out my tire barely cleared my fender. I mistakenly rode once with the air out and it rubbed on the seat mounting bolt and grooved the tire a little. I wouldn't suggest riding with the air out. I even found you couldn't really ride with the air halfway out as it's too squishy and tends to bottom out. I ended up with a small dent in my upper belt guard but it wasn't very noticiable unless you knew it was there.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:02 AM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the paint

Old 10-22-2014, 11:36 PM
brasher
Tourer

Originally Posted by HERE
Yea when I got mine I traded a set of stock 48 shocks plus $300 for the entire kit, it was too good to pass up.

You'll notice a big difference in ride over those Licks shocks as I've heard they're very harsh.

I actually sold my air ride, about a year ago I got really freaked out by alot of guys locally going down on bike/fatal motorcycle accidents in my area. So I actually parked the bike, removed a bunch of parts with the intention of selling it off. Sold the air ride and over various pieces but never sold the bike. Pulled it out the corner, fresh gas, fresh battery, and fired it up for the first time in over a year last week. It's been a bit of mental struggle to get back into it but I'm coming around.

When I had mine I ran the Legend shocks and a 1" lowering block. When fully aired up this put the height closeish to the stock 48 height. With the air dumped out my tire barely cleared my fender. I mistakenly rode once with the air out and it rubbed on the seat mounting bolt and grooved the tire a little. I wouldn't suggest riding with the air out. I even found you couldn't really ride with the air halfway out as it's too squishy and tends to bottom out. I ended up with a small dent in my upper belt guard but it wasn't very noticiable unless you knew it was there.
Thanks for that, I'll see what it's like without the link and go from there. If I want more low, can always grab a block and slam it more for shows etc.

The air-ride arrived today actually, so on the weekend I'll get it installed and post some pics.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:12 AM
brasher
Tourer

Now on air ride.... a simple job that turned into a nightmare because of the location of the alarm. It's all done now though. Happy with the result.

My 2012 Forty Eight Build (Pic intensive)-gvwh2dh.jpg

Quick Reply: My 2012 Forty Eight Build (Pic intensive)