Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Plate/Battery Cover Falls Off Constantly

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 10:08 PM
jdnyce
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Plate/Battery Cover Falls Off Constantly

Recently purchased a brand new 48 and the side plate or battery cover keeps un hooking from the two top clips. Everytime I get up to 30 MPH or hit a bump with no fail it falls open! Went in for 1K service and told them. My service report said the 02 sensor was pushing against it so they adjusted it! ( HA )
2 days later hit a small hole and it completely fell off and hit the car behind me...)

Went back to service and asked for a replacement and to put new clips on, they said its not covered under warranty, so no can do. This is a joke! I know 2 other 48 owners and they have the same problem! Part costs $115...!

Any advice..? bc this is a factory issue.

thanks all.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:41 PM
Airframer
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a common problem. It's quite sad that your dealer just said their hands are clean of the problem. Mine made adjustments and said if it keeps dropping down they would replace the clips even though it probably wouldn't help. They really care about customer service there. I put a bead of super glue along the point of the clip that the cover connecting piece has to pass over to unlatch.

Here is a topic that it was dicused previously and there are some other solutions. I posted pictures of what I did there.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...stening-2.html

Old 10-10-2014, 11:25 PM
Ployd4
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use a zip tie and don't go back to that dealer. I have a small zip tie at the top of my covers. I just cut them and replace them if I have to get in that area.

The following users liked this post:
pantail57 (03-27-2019)
Old 10-11-2014, 01:20 AM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Take the seat off drill through both the clip and panel from the top side and simply drop a thick zip tie in the hole!!!

Old 10-11-2014, 03:37 AM
harleyglen
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the same as ployd and put a small black cable tie through the small hole on top edge of cover, works a treat.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:27 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by jdnyce
Recently purchased a brand new 48 and the side plate or battery cover keeps un hooking from the two top clips. Everytime I get up to 30 MPH or hit a bump with no fail it falls open! Went in for 1K service and told them. My service report said the 02 sensor was pushing against it so they adjusted it! ( HA )
2 days later hit a small hole and it completely fell off and hit the car behind me...)

Went back to service and asked for a replacement and to put new clips on, they said its not covered under warranty, so no can do. This is a joke! I know 2 other 48 owners and they have the same problem! Part costs $115...!

Any advice..? bc this is a factory issue.

thanks all.
Contact corprate and inform them of what happened and ask for a replacement.

basically snitch

Old 10-11-2014, 07:38 AM
JoelS
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** falls off bikes, somebody told me to get used to it, so far i lost my favorite riding gloves, then the garage door opener, which i luckily found, then my really nice earbuds, got caught in the drive belt and almost pulled my ipod nano with them, uh ...it's a bike...and you should do a pre-ride check anyhow, if it was loose then it needed to be fixed before you went for ride...it's not a car...if the right piece falls off you will get hurt

Old 10-11-2014, 08:44 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by JoelS
then my really nice earbuds, got caught in the drive belt and almost pulled my ipod nano with them
How did this happen?

John

Old 10-11-2014, 08:53 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by hockey8787
Take the seat off drill through both the clip and panel from the top side and simply drop a thick zip tie in the hole!!!
+1 - There's no need to attach the zip tie to the frame, just drop it into the hole. This way there's no need to cut the tie or need a new one when opening the cover.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:32 AM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

zip tie works -------- my buddy had one for a few months then it drove him crazy so he changed the way it looked with a simple reusable headliner/door liner car push pin they look like this

and it works awsome and looks better if you ask me - you can find many many sizes

Quick Reply: Side Plate/Battery Cover Falls Off Constantly