Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How's this Bobber rear fender

Old 10-20-2014, 07:18 PM
motohaid
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Check this out. It's not plastic crap but resembles the bobtail look. It doesn't have the ridge down the center but it's steel.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:52 PM
bluemsp4
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Motohaid you never posted the link.

Also I do like the look of chopping the front on the fender off, all the ones I had seen they chopped the rear and it was a 90 degree angle with the side of the fender, which I wasn't too fond of. I like the curved edges of the like the back end of the stock fender has.

What's the best method to use to measure the correct length? I don't have a lift, so just put a block under the stand to stand it vertical, then take the seat off and remove strut cover, tail lights then fender.
Also what holes on the fender do you use to mount it or do you need to drill new ones?

Old 10-20-2014, 08:19 PM
motohaid
Road Master

http://m.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Harley-Spo...-/181277510187
Sorry bout that.
I chopped my fender. Mine is a 98 custom. I taped it with masking tape where I thought I wanted to cut it with it lightly bolted on. On the tape I marked it. I don't think I got it right the first time but that's what is good about using tape. When I was happy with what it looked like I cut with a small side grinder with a thin gut off wheel. I wasn't concerned about saving the paint because I was stripping it any way but can save the paint if you cut slow enough so you don't create enough heat to burn it off and then touch up just the edge. You don't need to be a good painter to touch up the edge.

Check out my albums if you want to see my fender before I painted it.

Last edited by motohaid; 10-20-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:56 PM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Screw it, I ordered one. Says its ABS plastic which is the exact same stuff a lot of aftermarket fenders/stretch bags/etc for the bagger guys are made of. I wont put it on my 48 but will save it for a future project.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:30 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

The Harley NOS fender in the above link, originally in the Harley P&A Catalog for about $250, was discontinued a couple years ago. They're getting harder to find.
My OL's previous '04 Sportster had one, and I have one in my shop for my Sportster, when the time comes. I like 'em a lot. There's a tail light mount, plastic with all the tail light and turn signal connections, plus the license mount, that fastens under the rear of the fender. Harley sold an install kit that had the mount and necessary hardware. The install kit for '04 up (except XL883N and XL1200N) is part #69714-04B. I guess that's not necessary if you're gonna retain the side mount plate on a '10 Iron. I kinda like how the tail light/install kit fills the void between the fender and tire, but ymmv. Route your wires carefully, whichever way you go.
I put 10.5" Progressive rear shocks on this bike (factory shocks were 11 3/4") and the bottom of the fender hit the top of the belt guard. I lowered the belt guard at the rear fastener a little (about 1/4" IIRC) and it was fine.

The plastic unit on Ebay looks like it belongs on a Yamaha. That's the nicest thing I can say about it.

Last edited by HarleyScuba; 10-20-2014 at 09:31 PM. Reason: nunya
Old 10-20-2014, 09:30 PM
bluemsp4
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey HERE, why not just throw it on so I can see!

I'm thinking the same thing though, just order it and see how it is and if its crap, I'll chop my stock fender anyways.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:35 PM
HERE
Road Warrior

I don't currently plan to cut my rear fender or struts but I may throw it on to see how it looks. I've been thinking about picking up a cheap sportster to mess with. So yea, I'm buying parts for a bike I don't even own yet lol

Old 10-20-2014, 09:42 PM
motohaid
Road Master

Originally Posted by bluemsp4

I'm thinking the same thing though, just order it and see how it is and if its crap, I'll chop my stock fender anyways.
I would only run a solo seat if I were to put a plastic fender on. The plastic will not be structurally strong enough to support a passengers weight.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:58 PM
motohaid
Road Master

Originally Posted by bluemsp4

I would only run a solo seat if I were to put a plastic fender on. The plastic will not be structurally strong enough to support a passengers weight.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:36 AM
HERE
Road Warrior

^^Obviously not, most people with chopped struts/fenders don't typically run passenger setups anyway. Not sure what the fender being ABS has anything to do with that decision. Like I said ABS is the same crap alot of aftermarket bagger parts are made from, even the factory HD hardbags are ABS. It's strong, not "let me stick a passenger on this tiny fender" level of strong, but I'm not really concerned with it vibrating or breaking off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How's this Bobber rear fender