Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How's this Bobber rear fender

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 09:47 PM
bluemsp4
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How's this Bobber rear fender

Has anyone used one of these types of fenders?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261624090378...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

How is it? Does it vibrate like crazy? Does it fit on a 10 Iron?

Also would like it to match my Black Denim, what's the best DIY way to paint it to get the closest match?

Thanks

Old 10-20-2014, 09:20 AM
gar187er
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

plastic?!?! BAH!

you can make anything work, but why not just chop your current fender? then you dont need to worry about paint. and youd be staying true to the bobber mentality.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:47 AM
bluemsp4
Cruiser

Yeah I know plastic is terrible, but I like the slight fishtail look to it. It looks similar to the Easyriders one, but 10% of the cost. I just don't want it to be flimsy and vibrating like crazy. Guess I could always put some type of brace under it for rigidity.

I may just chop my current fender, but I still have to paint the cut edge, so what do people use to DIY? Is there anything that's really close to the black denim? How much should it cost it I got the plastic one painted?

Old 10-20-2014, 10:58 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by bluemsp4

I may just chop my current fender, but I still have to paint the cut edge, so what do people use to DIY?
No need to paint, I just used some rust paint on the cut edge and installed a piece of chrome door edge guard. They also make the door edge guard in black.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:12 AM
gar187er
Road Captain

I didnt have to paint mine, but thats cause I'm smart

I also chopped my struts too, which made this possible....

Instead of cutting off the back of the fender; leaving the front attached...cut off the front of the fender and just slide if forward. That way you still have the finished edge on the back, with the cut part down in the wheel well.

If you arent chopping the frame, I cant help ya!

Old 10-20-2014, 11:45 AM
Greeley
Advanced

Yeah, when doing the fender chop you cut the front of the fender so you retain the nice shape and paint at the rear of the fender. If you do a bit of research on the process to chop the fender you will see it is pretty straight forward and easy to do. That plastic fender is a waste of money and time IMHO.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:23 PM
bluemsp4
Cruiser

Yeah I would be chopping the struts. I mean I really like the look/shape of the plastic one. May get the plastic one, and if it totally looks like crap(which is a good possibility) chop my stock one. Put it on before painting it to see how I like it.

Also I'm not real mechanical, so how hard would it really be to cut the fender? I've done some research but I've only seen where they cut the back portion off, is there any step-by-step videos or info on how to cut the front portion off? I know its mostly just measuring correctly, but would love to see it first. Probably going to go with a springer seat, but would like the option to go with other solo seats.

Also I have very few tools, was thinking of renting a cutting wheel at least for the struts, other than allen keys and small tools, is there anything specific I need?

thanks for the input guys!

Old 10-20-2014, 04:31 PM
franktko
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't do plastic

Old 10-20-2014, 05:46 PM
gar187er
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bluemsp4
Yeah I would be chopping the struts. I mean I really like the look/shape of the plastic one. May get the plastic one, and if it totally looks like crap(which is a good possibility) chop my stock one. Put it on before painting it to see how I like it.

Also I'm not real mechanical, so how hard would it really be to cut the fender? I've done some research but I've only seen where they cut the back portion off, is there any step-by-step videos or info on how to cut the front portion off? I know its mostly just measuring correctly, but would love to see it first. Probably going to go with a springer seat, but would like the option to go with other solo seats.

Also I have very few tools, was thinking of renting a cutting wheel at least for the struts, other than allen keys and small tools, is there anything specific I need?

thanks for the input guys!
beer! need beer too!!!!! measure once, drink......measure twice, drink....debate in your head if its worth modifying the frame....walk away....drink some more.....then come back and cut it!!!

The only picture I took was while I was doing a mock up after the last cut.
But this is still how it sits on my bike.

once you chop the struts then you can see what you have to work with. My first fender cut was conservative; you only have sooo much fender to work with.

I made three cuts on it for to fit in the wheel well how I like. its just alot of playing around, and seeing how it fits.

If you have a few bucks, just go to harbor freight and buy an angle grinder. they are VERY useful. I ended up using a grinder to angle the strut edges as opposed to leaving them just rough cut on the back.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:52 PM
Raulgutz
Cruiser

Also what can be done and has been done before. Is buy a front fender from a road king or bagger and cut that. They use the back end and end up having a lip like you want. And then you can have it powder coated to match.

Quick Reply: How's this Bobber rear fender