Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Bars don't fit...need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 04:15 PM
Eisentreiber
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another one trying to take chances - didn' we have the same question only weeks ago? If you change bars and the brake lines don't fit, GET PROPERLY FITTING NEW LINES. Brakes are a safety essential for the bike and for your own health.

Don't gamble to save few bucks and/or the effort to replace & bleed the lines. @ Greeley - IMHO your advice is outright dangerous, because when you get to see any cracks in the bent line, it's already too late.

Just my 0.02, and as the flight instructor sez: "It's your butt, dude!"

Last edited by Eisentreiber; 10-21-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:44 PM
CAVSportster
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely get a new brake line as soon as you have the funds to do it. In the meantime you could bend the stock brake line. You don't need any pliers or any thing. I installed the HD Mini Apes on my Iron and had to extend my wiring but I was able to keep the stock clutch, throttle/idle cables, and my brake line. Just unscrew the little P clamp from the bottom of the Trees and let the line hang, straighten the metal part (I was able to bend it ever so gently with my hands) just enough to give you the extra slack you need.
But I wouldn't ride it that way for too long, get the proper line as soon as you can.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Greeley
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with you, I didn't go this route on my bike, I replaced the whole line w/ a braided line. Just throwing it out there as it has been done and with success, take it for what it's worth.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:26 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

If you have a plumber or HVAC friend, see if they have a tubing bender:

Seems like the perfect excuse to get a black, braided stainless steel brake line. I wouldn't dick around with my brakes for 100 bucks, and you'll get better braking from braided.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:23 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

i may have a sotck new take off 48 line - i can measure it if you want it.. it does not have the metal like the 883s do - i just chose not to use it the bars i have now work fine with the stock line

although it does fit, i didnt like the way it looked im weird about looks with my stuff hahaha

i can measure it tomoro and if you think the length is fine just drop me a pm and i will ship it to you - early xmas present lol

Old 10-21-2014, 06:28 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

ok just checked online not sure which sportster version it came off of - hmmm

it may have been from dealer when i had the mini apes i dunno lol

all i know is it does fit and does not have the metal in between the hoses so u can move an whirl it around as u please -- again i will look to measure the length and repost with it .. if it works for you. its yours

Last edited by elfnyc; 10-21-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:24 PM
Ployd4
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Worst case scenario you pinch the line and don't realize it. Which would be easy to do since it such is small tubing. Then your brakes don't work. Other people have also straightened their line without any problems. I just think it is a terrible idea on a motorcycle.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:22 AM
Eisentreiber
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep - while brake line tubing is meant to be bent to fit in the first place (with the proper tools, thanks, HarleyScuba), it is not meant to be bent back and forth. The metal microstructure has a limited capacity to take bending, and anything bent you're straightening again will suffer some loss in stability, ultimately leading to cracking and failure. Very simple.

100% ACK - just a terrible idea. Think of what you're spending on your bike, so don't seek shortcuts just on the brake system.

Last edited by Eisentreiber; 10-22-2014 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:47 AM
bluemsp4
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I'm just a cheap bastard, but safety is definitely key. I just hate spending more money on one thing, because then it takes away from something else I would like to do.

I ultimately want to learn how to work on the whole bike, but since the brakes are a safety component, it makes me kind of weary. I think there is much more of a reward if you can do the work yourself, but there's usually a lot more risk of something going wrong.

Plus some of the shops rip you off and since its my first bike, don't know what shop in my area is good.

thanks for the help guys!

Old 10-22-2014, 09:36 AM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

I see you're in Virginia. If you're within a hour or so of Stafford or Fredericksburg, it'd be worth your while to check out Olde Towne Cycle. These guys know their stuff and are very customer service oriented. I've known Brian for years, and I've never heard anything but the truth come out of his mouth. It's a No Bull **** zone. They're much more concerned with their reputation than money.
If you're near Manassas, maybe I can be of some assistance. I'm not a professional mechanic, but shoot me a PM if you want someone to stand over your shoulder and tell you you're doing it wrong. LOL. Or, we can go for a putt and see Brian.

Quick Reply: New Bars don't fit...need help!!