Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I guess I am a dummy!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 11:25 PM
RubenAlonzo
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The keyless bikes come witha circlular type of key, my 2014 night rod special had this, i killed my bike's battery first night as i turned off the bike, only to realize i actually just turned it back to ACC.

The new keyless bikes do come with keys and you can start them without a key even if you know your code (for when the keyfob battery dies), but i stupidly just turned off the iognition switch one click instead of 2. my new xl1200t does not have an keyless system thank goodness, i dont like the way harley implemented it.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:09 AM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RubenAlonzo
The keyless bikes come witha circlular type of key, my 2014 night rod special had this, i killed my bike's battery first night as i turned off the bike, only to realize i actually just turned it back to ACC.

The new keyless bikes do come with keys and you can start them without a key even if you know your code (for when the keyfob battery dies), but i stupidly just turned off the iognition switch one click instead of 2. my new xl1200t does not have an keyless system thank goodness, i dont like the way harley implemented it.
Keyless ignition means no key and no ignition switch. What you are talking about is the security fob in order to start your bike, but you still have an ignition switch.

My bike has no ignition switch, no key except the fork lock key....that's why it is called keyless and is a $350 option on the bike.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:14 AM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Are you guys talking about the key fob for the alarm system? I've never heard of a keyless ignition on a Harley. Maybe I'm behind in my knowledge of resent changes. AFAIK, Sportsters come with a regular-looking, flat key for the ignition and fork lock. V-Rods and Big Twins come with a barrel key for the ignition and fork lock. Unless it's hotwired, every Harley I've come across needs a key to turn the ignition on, thereby allowing the bike to start. The ignition key has always been independent of the alarm key fob.

EDIT: Typing at the same time, I guess. I did not know a keyless ignition was an option for 2014 Sportsters. That option is not listed on Harley's web site. There is a Security option listed. Is the keyless ignition bundled with the Security option? It used to be the Security option only included a new module for the turn signals and a key fob (button style early, non-button fob for the past few years). Is it possible your dealer offered and installed an in-house option?

Last edited by HarleyScuba; 10-25-2014 at 10:24 AM. Reason: nunya
Old 10-25-2014, 10:16 AM
subguy
Road Master

Originally Posted by burnsy87
My '14 Iron doesn't have keyless ignition.
Yes, the keyless ignition is a $350 option on the 2014 sportsters. Your bike obviously does not have the option. My bike came with it. I also have ABS which is another option on the 2014 Sportsters.

On the dealers floor my bike was the only one that had all the options installed. The others did not (no ABS, no Keyless). Harley website lists the options available on the 2014-15 Sportsters.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:21 AM
subguy
Road Master

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
Are you guys talking about the key fob for the alarm system? I've never heard of a keyless ignition on a Harley. Maybe I'm behind in my knowledge of resent changes. AFAIK, Sportsters come with a regular-looking, flat key for the ignition and fork lock. V-Rods and Big Twins come with a barrel key for the ignition and fork lock. Unless it's hardwired, every Harley I've come across needs a key to turn the ignition on, thereby allowing the bike to start. The ignition key has always been independent of the alarm key fob.
Check out 2014 harley options. I have no ignition switch, no ignition key only a fork lock key option. Not talking about the alarm fob setup...actual no key to start the bike and no place to insert a key if you had one.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:32 AM
subguy
Road Master

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
Holy Jeebus! The 2014 Sportsters have a keyless ignition? Did not know that. Do they still give you a key for the fork lock?
I pretty much never use my kill switch. It's always on.
It can be most amusing to reach out with your left hand, just before the light turns green, and hit your buddy's kill switch.

Wait a minute. You left your key on, and it's a 2014? What gives?
Keyless is an option. Yes, only a fork lock key. Not all 2014 Sportsters came with the options. My bike had all the options on it at the dealership (keyless, ABS, Hard Candy Volcanic Orange paint). One of the reasons I bought the bike.

A girl at work has a 2014 Sportsters with no ABS or keyless option. She has an ignition key and ignition switch. If you look at my bike where her switch is, I have a bare frame. To turn off the bike, I HAVE to use the "run/off" switch to OFF to turn shutdown the bike, so no worries about accidentally leaving it on. Not like my 2007 Sportster XL1200R.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:13 PM
burnsy87
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah gotcha, good for you sub.

I always just use the run/off switch to kill my bike anyways, then I turn and take the key out.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:03 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by subguy
Keyless is an option. Yes, only a fork lock key. Not all 2014 Sportsters came with the options. My bike had all the options on it at the dealership (keyless, ABS, Hard Candy Volcanic Orange paint). One of the reasons I bought the bike.

A girl at work has a 2014 Sportsters with no ABS or keyless option. She has an ignition key and ignition switch. If you look at my bike where her switch is, I have a bare frame. To turn off the bike, I HAVE to use the "run/off" switch to OFF to turn shutdown the bike, so no worries about accidentally leaving it on. Not like my 2007 Sportster XL1200R.
so sportsters ARE chick bikes...I knew it...but only the keyed 2014s so you are safe...

Old 10-26-2014, 12:08 AM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Where on Harley's web site does it mention the keyless ignition option for a Sportster? I looked under 2014 Pricing and Specifications. It shows the Color, Hard Candy Color, ABS and Security options. No keyless ignition. Same for 2015.
Not trying to bust your chops. Just trying to see what da Hell is going on. I'm most intrigued by the keyless ignition. Might have to call a dealer, tomorrow.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:35 AM
Hal64hd
Road Master

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I know Digital Guard Dog makes a keyless system for Harley for quite a few years

Here is a article about the new keyless option
http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/08/1...urity-options/

Last edited by Hal64hd; 10-26-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply: I guess I am a dummy!