Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 06:57 PM
kwn36
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Audio?

Wondering what setups you all are using for audio...other than the iPod/iPhone plus earbuds. Is a handlebar speaker system even worth the money? Not hearing many good reviews about the HD systems that are available.

I did stumble upon this company and kicked around their website a bit...

http://www.cyclesounds.com

Would love to have some tunes on longer rides, but am not about to waste money either.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:35 AM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Audio that everyone else in the world hears while you are riding is the worst idea ever IMO. Our bikes are loud enough then add audio on top of it?

Old 10-24-2014, 10:06 AM
Eisentreiber
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rather than earbuds, I'd be using my helmet intercom (Sena SMH 10), but I personally won't want to run music while riding. It's distracting. I agree that handlebar speakers appear somewhat silly, but to each their own.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:05 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Helmet speakers. F@ck hangin' a bunch of bull **** on your handlebars!
I've tried multiple drivers marketed as "helmet speakers". Do a Google, find the cheapest pair and they'll sound as good as 50 dollar "helmet speakers". Then, I stumbled on this site:
http://www.diyaudioblog.com/2011/02/...oss-ksc75.html
I didn't re-cable the Koss KSC75 headphones, opting to simply leave the factory wires. The site showed me how to take them apart. Pretty dang simple, really.
A pair of $20 headphones, dismantled and velcroed to my helmet liner, works better than anything else I've tried (except quality earbuds, but I don't like earbuds). Helmet speakers (re-purposed headphone speakers) are legal in some (but not all) states, where earbuds are not.
I also use a pocket amplifier in-line between my MP3 player and the helmet speakers. It's not for loudness. It's for clean sound. More power produces less distortion while listening at "lower" levels. So far, and it's a little pricey, the
FiiO E11 FiiO E11
has the best sound and battery endurance that I've tried. FiiO makes other amps, and they're good, so if cheaper/smaller is your game, try one, but you won't get the power of an E11. An amp by Boosteroo, the Boosteroo Revolution, worked OK but I found them to be fragile, and they lack adjustments. The original Boosteroo is much more durable, but it's bulky, doesn't use rechargeable batteries and it's not as good sounding as some FiiO amps I've tried. For matchbook size, I like the FiiO E5, but I think it's been discountinued.
An MP3 player and the amp fit in my pocket. Easy peasy. If it becomes necessary, I can recharge either the amp or MP3 player from a 12 volt cigarette-lighter plug attached to my existing Battery Tender lead. So, all day listening isn't an issue, even while tent camping. Proper speaker position inside the helmet makes a world of difference. I use a patch cord with an in-line volume control between the amp and the helmet speakers, so I can readily adjust the volume while the music components are tucked in a pocket. Sometimes, I don't want to hear the tunes, for whatever reason.
I started trying various methods for listening to music in the Eighties with a Walkman. Portable CD players came in during the late 90's, but they were still bulky and could skip, plus you had to lug around CDs. An amp, some modded headphones and your cell phone will have Freebird playing loud and clear at WFO doin' a ton. Try that with handlebar speakers.

Last edited by HarleyScuba; 10-24-2014 at 07:12 PM. Reason: nunya
Old 10-25-2014, 05:46 PM
nightstermass
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the shark system 5 yrs old been in rain many times no problem check out http://www.sharkmotorcycleaudio.com/ for it comes in black ... all i can say is yea baby.

I use the 100w 2 speakers am/fm ipod input works great sounds good.

Last edited by nightstermass; 10-25-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:08 PM
nightstermass
Cruiser

I know useless witout pics

Attached Thumbnails Audio?-20141025_190025.jpg  

Last edited by nightstermass; 10-25-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:06 PM
Airframer
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is the option I went with. I think it looks cheesy with the clutter of speakers on a bike and I don't want everyone else to hear my music.

I also like I can run navigation when I really need it. I look at a map before I ride somewhere when I have the time and it's not too complicated but when I need the navigation this thing really comes in handy as the voice commands come through very clear.

http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Techno...orcycle-Helmet

Old 10-26-2014, 12:03 AM
RubenAlonzo
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the Bossmc400 set from amazon, like 50 bucks, they are LOUD and easy to install.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:55 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Ear buds. Dont be clown riding around making racket. Harley has a handle bar mounted player....

But i just use my phone and some cheap mic'd skullcandy ear buds. Cuts down wind and i can hear gps and incoming text or take calls if im full face helmeting. I use a d ring clip to manage the ear bud cables. I added a usb port to the bike to charge stuff on longer rides.

That's just me. YMMV

Old 10-26-2014, 08:24 AM
nightstermass
Cruiser

In most states it illegal to wear headphones or ear buds while driving im pretty sure. People dont like the clutter on bars thats thier opinion hell i dont like full faced helmets unless its very very cold or your on a rice rocket. Do what you want. Personally dont want to add ear buds to my ride xlist

Quick Reply: Audio?