Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil bag/tank leaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 11:20 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by misput
cHarley, do you know if engine oil can cross over to the transmission?
Only if you have a leaking seal or a '76 or earlier Sporty.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:41 AM
misput
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:19 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
TMK, the oil tank was never part of a recall or Service Bulletin. The change from an "A" to "B" on the part number simply indicates the part was revised at some later date, which could be several years later. The one revision of the tank that I know of was the addition of a pressure relief valve. This was supposed to help with the tanks splitting open like you have, but that problem seemed to be occurring mostly in colder climates than we have in FL.

But, good luck on the replacement.

yeah, the oil has been coming up missing since i got the bike...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...m-i-a-oil.html

it was in MD, so the failure more than likely happened long before i ever got it and it is not noticeable, there are no signs of leakage on the ground so it must be spraying out while in motion/under load.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:04 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Okay... The bike is at the dealer now and they thought there was a hole in the tank. Nope.. No hole... Seam is leaking. With no signs anywhere on the bike. Like the oil just disappears.

I called harley corporate and they said take to the dealer and let them determine the cause of the failure and then have the techs call back to corporate to negotiate an out of warranty replacement consideration. Seem like it would be a good will gesture to replace the failed a and deadly part with a the superseded part. They had to know it was an issue.

If they come back with a quote and try to charge, i'll just do it myself. The part is only 184 on surdyke. I'll just need new clamps for the hoses.

Its just wack to have to deal with this and there not of been a recall in the colder climates.

Last edited by cvaria; 10-28-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:47 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

I came across a couple of these about 5 years ago. Back then, Harley replaced them under warranty. It wasn't a hassle for the warranty claim. It was pretty much rubber stamped. Hard to say what they'll do, now.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:50 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
Okay... The bike is at the dealer now and they thought there was a hole in the tank. Nope.. No hole... Seam is leaking. With no signs anywhere on the bike. Like the oil just disappears.

I called harley corporate and they said take to the dealer and let them determine the cause of the failure and then have the techs call back to corporate to negotiate an out of warranty replacement consideration. Seem like it would be a good will gesture to replace the failed a and deadly part with a the superseded part. They had to know it was an issue.

If they come back with a quote and try to charge, i'll just do it myself. The part is only 184 on surdyke. I'll just need new clamps for the hoses.

Its just wack to have to deal with this and there not of been a recall in the colder climates.
They do know that there is/was a problem, that's why the they revised the tank to add a pressure relief valve.

Recalls are only issued for safety related problems, things like brake failures, wheels falling off , etc. This applies to all motor vehicles.
Problems like this, (the oil tank bursting at the seam) are covered by Technical Service Bulletins which address the problem on an as-needed basis.

The majority of people living in cold climates never experience the tank failure. It only seems to affect a limited number of bikes, where the bike is left exposed to temperature and moisture conditions that cause the oil tank vent line to freeze closed (plugged). When the bike is started with a plugged vent line, the pressure buildup in the tank causes the seam to rupture.

The "typical" owner that keeps the bike in an attached garage overnight, even an unheated one, will never have this problem.

Last edited by cHarley; 10-30-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:19 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Harley corporate has called me and told me to go #&% myself so i'm going to order the part and fix it myself.

I'm waiting for the dealer to call drop the bad news on me. It'd be nice to hear what they say and how they phase it.

This has left a bad taste in my mouth to be honest.

I really wish I had of known this was where my oil was going two years ago.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:18 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Okay... Dealer came back with there being nothing wrong with the bike and says it was spewing oil from the cap due to being overfilled... ?

I'm not crazy i check my oil when warm (just got off it or running for a few minutes) and on the side stand. Per the manual.

My mind is boggled. They a giving it a bath now to double check.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:01 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Got my bike back from the dealer, $100 bucks later, said it was overfilled so they drained some oil and washed it and assured me that was the issue....

just rode it and the oil leak is now visible and prominent. the dealer was wrong. the tank needs to go.

suggestions?

Last edited by cvaria; 11-02-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:51 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Ordering the part. I have to remove the rear fender!? that is wack...

spoke to the dealer and they can't believe its still leaking and asked me to bring it back to them..... nope. you didn't listen when i told you what the issue was... and the charged me $90 to remove my perfectly good oil.

unless there is a major failure, my bike is going no where near this dealer for service ever again.

Harley is losing points across the board here. this ish make no sense.... no technical bulletin, nothing... replace upon complaint only... if it fails within warranty period. bad business, total safety issue.

Attached Thumbnails Oil bag/tank leaking-oil-tank-bustation_page_1.jpg   Oil bag/tank leaking-oil-tank-bustation_page_2.jpg   Oil bag/tank leaking-oil-tank-bustation_page_3.jpg   Oil bag/tank leaking-oil-tank-bustation_page_4.jpg  

Last edited by cvaria; 11-16-2014 at 07:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sharpie (10-06-2019)

Quick Reply: Oil bag/tank leaking