Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil bag/tank leaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 02:37 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Default Oil bag/tank leaking | Update: Oil tank replacement write-up

during my recent trip i uncovered the source of my missing oil (on going issue since i got the bike)

my battery was acting up and the bike was starting a little funny so rather than play games on the road i swung by HD of baltimore a bought a new one (the old one was the original from 2007).

while installing the new battery i noticed that the upper seam running around my oil tank/bag was weeping. i didn't think much of it but over the course of 2000 miles i went through 2 bottles of oil and was still on the low side at the end. in the morning, i went out to put it on the tender and the tank was covered in oil.

questions:

do i replace the tank,or is there a gasket that could be replaced?
....it seems like there may be a crack and maybe the oil is working its way around the upper part of the bag.

i'm leaning toward replacing the tank or maybe usig so jb weld epoxy.

suggestions wanted please.

Last edited by cvaria; 08-10-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:53 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

If the tank seam is leaking it will need replaced. JB Weld wouldn't work since it is plastic and not metal. If you want to you could find a plastic epoxy that might work. Chances are it would just be temporary, though.

Check out parts prices and see if it is worth it to salvage or if you can find a cheap used tank for a bit more.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:28 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,133 Posts

It's a plastic tank? I'd replace it, maybe it's not that expensive through a dealer, or try the part number on Ebay and see what happens.

John

Old 10-24-2014, 11:10 PM
misput
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
during my recent trip i uncovered the source of my missing (on going issue since i got the bike)

my battery was acting up and the bike was starting a little funny so rather than play games on the road i swung by HD of baltimore a bought a new one (the old one was the original from 2007).

while installing the new battery i noticed that the upper seam running around my oil tank/bag was weeping. i didn't think much of it but over the course of 2000 miles i went through 2 bottles of oil and was still on the low side at the end. is morning i went out to ut it on the tender and the tank was covered in oil.

questions:

do i replace the tank,or is there a gasket that could be replaced?
....it seems like there may be a crack and maybe the oil is working its way around the upper part of the bag.

i'm leaning toward replacing the tank or maybe usig so jb weld epoxy.

suggestions wanted please.
I thought my oil tank was leaking, turned out to be the vent hose from the trans was puking oil on it, over filled.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:51 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by misput
I thought my oil tank was leaking, turned out to be the vent hose from the trans was puking oil on it, over filled.

wouldn't that happen lower... like near the primary? there's no vent near the top of the oil tank. you may be on to something but, over fill would not lead to low or MIA oil.

i will take another today

Old 10-25-2014, 09:29 AM
misput
Tourer

My bike is a 2000 Sport and it has a vent hose from the transmission with the open end up next to the oil tank, yours may be different and no, this would have nothing to do with low oil in the tank unless it is possible for the engine oil to cross over to the trany through a bad seal maybe? I have wondered about this myself?

Last edited by misput; 10-25-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:37 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

the oil tank (62888-04A) on my year bike was superseded by 62888-04B.

the tank is failing and has been since i got the bike. It would seem to that harley knew about the issue. i want to get mad but since i was not the original owner i may not have been notified and the bike sat in a garage for until 2011/2012 when i bought it.

i'm going to ask if if they will good will replace it.

To speak with a Harley-Davidson customer care representative please call 1-800-258-2464 or (414) 343-4056.
Representatives are available Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Central Standard Time (CST).

Last edited by cvaria; 10-26-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:23 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
the oil tank (62888-04A) on my year bike was superseded by 62888-04B.

the tank is failing and has been since i got the bike. It would seem to that harley knew about the issue. i want to get mad but since i was not the original owner i may not have been notified and the bike sat in a garage for until 2011/2012 when i bought it.

i'm going to ask if if they will good will replace it.

To speak with a Harley-Davidson customer care representative please call 1-800-258-2464 or (414) 343-4056.
Representatives are available Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Central Standard Time (CST).

TMK, the oil tank was never part of a recall or Service Bulletin. The change from an "A" to "B" on the part number simply indicates the part was revised at some later date, which could be several years later. The one revision of the tank that I know of was the addition of a pressure relief valve. This was supposed to help with the tanks splitting open like you have, but that problem seemed to be occurring mostly in colder climates than we have in FL.

But, good luck on the replacement.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:38 AM
misput
Tourer

Originally Posted by cHarley
TMK, the oil tank was never part of a recall or Service Bulletin. The change from an "A" to "B" on the part number simply indicates the part was revised at some later date, which could be several years later. The one revision of the tank that I know of was the addition of a pressure relief valve. This was supposed to help with the tanks splitting open like you have, but that problem seemed to be occurring mostly in colder climates than we have in FL.

But, good luck on the replacement.
cHarley, do you know if engine oil can cross over to the transmission?

Old 10-26-2014, 11:18 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by misput
cHarley, do you know if engine oil can cross over to the transmission?
I don't know of it being a very common occurrence, but it can happen. A bad crankshaft seal for instance, could let oil flow between the crankcase and primary, and the primary and tranny oil are one in the same.

Last edited by cHarley; 10-26-2014 at 11:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil bag/tank leaking