Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster 48. Almost done.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 10:23 AM
Ployd4
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah it's been awhile mreed. Did u convert it to carb? I like the narrow lane splitters. I like how you made the riders pegs flip up and the stripped down controls. Nice work. Is that a dna springer.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:27 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by becky1200x
Oh no.. now when I think all I have is exhaust left to do I see how good a springer front end looks lol
Come see me, I can hook you up! I'm sure you see quite a few of my springers running around Indy.

Originally Posted by Rog48
HES ALIVE! Dude, you need to quit taking a year between posts
I know man. Super busy, no time to take a break bla bla bla lol.

Originally Posted by HERE
Nice work as always!

In frame vent/overflow line?
Thanks! And yep, tank vent. In those pics the bike is completely wired. When I added the tank vent it stuck out like a sore thumb without the mess of factory wiring running along the frame.

Originally Posted by scottylonebull
that front end looks awesome, handlebars look perfect!
Thanks! I made a couple sets of bars before deciding on these. Simple usually rules with me so they are what they are.

Originally Posted by Ployd4
Yeah it's been awhile mreed. Did u convert it to carb? I like the narrow lane splitters. I like how you made the riders pegs flip up and the stripped down controls. Nice work. Is that a dna springer.
Yep, carb for sure. I've done a lot of these over the past couple years. Sportsters mostly but also a couple softails & FLH's. I am a firm believer that the true "rambler" that does his/her travels over the long roads will succeed better with a carb. A lot of my clients will ride for days without entering a city & there is very little chance they'll run across a dealership if they have issues. And trust me, ANY bike that is ridden for weeks/months on end through all kinds of weather WILL eventually have issues; EFI or carb. Carb'd bikes can be fixed on the side of the road. Not to mention how well these things come to life with a carb. No more mysterious dead batteries bla bla bla....

It's not a DNA springer. I'm making my own now. I have modified a lot of different brands of springers and after having so many of the dissected I realized it's much easier to make my own from scratch considering how different each one needs to be for proper trail depending on the desired length or stance. I do them in a couple different widths...my "wide" still being 1" narrower than a DNA brand but my material size is 75% larger. I like skinny springers the best.

In this pic you can see my favorite springer ever. It's a Jammer from the 1960's. This springer is what I stole my design from.

This is my Nightster. Stock rake, -4 springer

This is a Nightster I did for my buddy Anna. 37 degree rake, +7 super narrow springer. I shaved her stock for clearance & look stockish. Spools are cool but anyone can buy one.

This is one of my 4 speeds. 35 degree rake, -3 springer

The following users liked this post:
Ratwerke (12-07-2016)
Old 10-27-2014, 05:00 PM
Ployd4
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought it was a carb, but what's the unit under the seat? I might need you to make me a springer for my 48. I lived in Indiana until I was 25. I'm heading back next May for the 500. Nice work!

Old 10-27-2014, 05:08 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

I thought it was a carb, but what's the unit under the seat? I might need you to make me a springer for my 48. I lived in Indiana until I was 25. I'm heading back next May for the 500. Nice work!

Ahh, right on. I can if you want but I'll need a heads up. I'm usually about 4 or 5 months out on making appointments.

All carb'd Sportsters with an electronic ignition require an ignition module. Some are in the cam cover cone but most are not. 2004 & up requires the use of a crank position sensor, MAP sensor & vehicle speed sensor for timing advance regardless of the fuel management. The box under the seat is a Dynatek DSPT ignition module. It's my go-to unit for this swap. That's actually the factory ignition module location on 2004-2006 Sportsters.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:08 PM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool, I never thought about it but it's not like there's ever hardly any fuel that'll be passing, mainly just to keep from vapor locking the tank. Definitely cleaner than a line running to the ground.

Assuming since the EFI was done away with so likely was the ECU. Unit under the seat looks like an ignition control unit I'm guessing.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:38 PM
PowerGuy
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice work, those are some sweet bikes!

Old 10-28-2014, 07:13 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by PowerGuy
Nice work, those are some sweet bikes!
thanks!

Old 10-28-2014, 04:08 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Hey! Been a long time.

Nice work, and some cool pics of the springers you're making.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-28-2014, 04:56 PM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

The bike is looking good. Hows that springer ride. Back in the day I rode a 1964 Panhead with a 10 over springer. I was a lot younger then.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:00 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hexnut
The bike is looking good. Hows that springer ride. Back in the day I rode a 1964 Panhead with a 10 over springer. I was a lot younger then.
Thanks! I don't care much for hydraulic front ends. It's a personal preference. I'm sure some nerd somewhere knows the perfect formula to make one dead on but at the end of the day they just don't have any soul. Some springers are crap. Some are sketchy...you get what you pay for. A lot of guys just buy one & throw it on. If you buy/build one with its use in mind you'll love it.

Quick Reply: Sportster 48. Almost done.