Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2013 Iron 883 Cafe Build.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 07:37 PM
Calavera Negra
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah ef em.... I know the guys on the xlforum would get a kick out of ur build.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:06 PM
grancuda
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Calavera Negra
He has the build thread over there.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:38 PM
grancuda
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chris_b_owens
Here is a question to you guys. Well first I guess I should explain. I have loved the cafe racer style of bikes for a long time but as mentioned in my earlier post I am no purest. I simply love the "cafe style" I dont care where the bike is made or about the history although anyone with access to Wikipedia can research the history of Cafe racers.

So today I found another forum at www.caferacer.net and apparently mistakenly posted pretty much the same build thread as I have here.

I was met with immediate hostility. So I instantly deleted the posts. I dont get it. When I was looking for inspiration for my build I looked at all different types of bikes. I dont understand what the hell is wrong with some forum jerks sometimes. Its the same with all forums too. I am on poker table forums for my side business, wrist watch forums, car forums etc. All of the have people that spend all day getting on to people for nonsense. Its always been aggrevating to me but I have never had the douchiness directed at me well until today. I really dont get it. I am not looking for acclaim or anything. I just think cafe sportsters are cool and figure others do too

Back to my question. Should I go back on there and explain myself or just let them go screw themselves?

There could be several things, don't take any of this wrong.

XL's are not in a true sense cafe racers, they are heavier, slower & back in the day were not used as cafe racers. An original 60's cafe racer would not be an XL.

Then you have the elitist mentality of the the general HD crowd, mainly big twin & bagger owners which look down on the cafe bike scene which in turn has made the cafe guys turn their back on the HDs.

Then on your build you have all the billet accessories & the over the top wheels which most cafe racers are stripped down minimalist bikes with very little flair & spoke wheels, not mags.

Then your bike has checker board on the paint & it has the word "cafe" on it. Both the checker board & cafe text are in most circles considered cheesy.

Then you have the fact you are spending gobs of money on a bike when an actual cafe racer is suppose to be low buck, use what you have laying around to get the top handling/performance out if it.

Then cafe racers are supposed to be set-up to handle/perform good but you have done no performance mods & actually hurt the handling with the lowering kit.

It is what it is, some circles won't like it. No need to go beg for their acceptance.

Last edited by grancuda; 10-31-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:55 PM
fradaj
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a pretty ambitious project you are working on. I own a 2011 Iron. They only changes I have made are longer shocks, oil cooler, XR1200 front brake rotor, and a K&N intake kit that you don't really notice. I enjoyed looking at the work you have been doing. I really liked the countershaft sprocket cover. Keep going, I will try and check back and see your finished work. Good luck and don't worry about any negative comments.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:14 AM
Raulgutz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haters are always going to hate. I enjoy your thread and all the work you're doing. Ultimately all that matters is that you love your bike and what you have done to it.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:28 AM
chris_b_owens
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grancuda
There could be several things, don't take any of this wrong.

XL's are not in a true sense cafe racers, they are heavier, slower & back in the day were not used as cafe racers. An original 60's cafe racer would not be an XL.

Then you have the elitist mentality of the the general HD crowd, mainly big twin & bagger owners which look down on the cafe bike scene which in turn has made the cafe guys turn their back on the HDs.

Then on your build you have all the billet accessories & the over the top wheels which most cafe racers are stripped down minimalist bikes with very little flair & spoke wheels, not mags.

Then your bike has checker board on the paint & it has the word "cafe" on it. Both the checker board & cafe text are in most circles considered cheesy.

Then you have the fact you are spending gobs of money on a bike when an actual cafe racer is suppose to be low buck, use what you have laying around to get the top handling/performance out if it.

Then cafe racers are supposed to be set-up to handle/perform good but you have done no performance mods & actually hurt the handling with the lowering kit.

It is what it is, some circles won't like it. No need to go beg for their acceptance.

I get all of that for sure. I know the history of the Café Racer. Originally it was sort of a derogatory term for some race posers. I know that Harleys are by no means café racers also. The theme of the bike is Café.

That being said...Apparently I have struck a nerve with some forum lurking folks and that's fine. This is not a build for anyone but me. I am not rich but make a good living and I am spending what I want on this bike and will not feel bad about it. I am no fabricator or bike builder but I have done everything on this bike (with the exception of the paint) myself and I am pretty proud of that.

You are right too about not needing to beg for acceptance...besides if I wanted acceptance I could jut buy a $2k 80's model Honda and call it a day.

Anyway thanks for the comments and insight.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:36 AM
chris_b_owens
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Calavera Negra

Thanks, I do have the build over there too.

Originally Posted by fradaj
This is a pretty ambitious project you are working on. I own a 2011 Iron. They only changes I have made are longer shocks, oil cooler, XR1200 front brake rotor, and a K&N intake kit that you don't really notice. I enjoyed looking at the work you have been doing. I really liked the countershaft sprocket cover. Keep going, I will try and check back and see your finished work. Good luck and don't worry about any negative comments.

Thank you. I will have my paint back on Monday so I should have this thing mostly finished in the next week or so.

I know I shouldn't let it bother me but for some reason it does. Anyone with an XL can look at this thing and see all of the small details I have tried to do.

I know when I was looking at all the bikes on different forums it never crossed my mind to have that sort of attitude about another persons build. My tastes or not most motorcycles are just efn cool.

Originally Posted by Raulgutz
Haters are always going to hate. I enjoy your thread and all the work you're doing. Ultimately all that matters is that you love your bike and what you have done to it.

You are right there and with all of the work I have done to this thing I really do love it. I may change some things here and there but for the most part I am happy with the progress.

Thanks

Old 11-01-2014, 12:21 PM
BoomerChopper
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to see it with the tins on. Very detailed build.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:21 PM
HOG JET
Supporter
Default looking Great!

I can't wait to see it done. If you are selling the stock front fender please let me know.
been looking for one.
Ray j.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:02 AM
chris_b_owens
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BoomerChopper
Can't wait to see it with the tins on. Very detailed build.

Thank you should be finishing up soon.

Originally Posted by HOG JET
I can't wait to see it done. If you are selling the stock front fender please let me know.
been looking for one.
Ray j.

It is for sale if you want. I will clean it up and take some pics. It the mounts have been drilled to give the option of it sitting closer to the tire as well as OEM location. The color is black denim. I will clean it up this week and pm you some pics.

Quick Reply: My 2013 Iron 883 Cafe Build.