Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 07:31 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BoomerChopper
Any comments on how it affects the ride? This is something I have been considering.

you are a new guy so we will let this go...do a search of this forum and you will find a good amount of threads on this subject..but basically they all say that the ride is vastly improved (I agree) and it is a cheap upgrade if you buy used...and it is easy to do...

Old 11-03-2014, 07:38 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bluemsp4
Awesome thanks guys.

Mopeman, where do I get the rear diff cap?

Also what size washers and about how many? Or if I remove the belt drive do I still need a couple?

as far as washers, you can go to homedepot or the like and just buy a half dozen or so that will fit the mounting bolt..I find that when changing the shocks if you hang the rear end a inch or so from the ground and remove the shocks (the rear will fall to the floor) then install just he bottom bolts on both shocks and raise the rear swing arm (or lower the bike lift) until the shock holes are lined up with the mounting holes in the frame you can see how much of a gap there is to fill with washers and if the shocks rub anywhere you can add washers either bottom or top to bring the shocks away from frame etc...the only thing to look out for if that you don't want the shocks to be at a angle away from the bike and bind on the bolts (you may have to add washers both top and bottom to spot this from happening)...sounds tough, but it really a very easy job..

Old 11-03-2014, 08:15 AM
Don-T
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jandy2640
I used 10 oz of Mobil 1 atf per shock. Equals 7.5wt.
Does anyone see any trouble doing this? I have a set of Road King shocks I will be installing on my Custom shortly. I have an air line kit on order from HD and I still need to get oil. The shocks look new. They have plugs in the air ports.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:20 PM
bluemsp4
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got the shocks in, box had a bunch of oil in it, so looks like I have no choice but to drain them then refill with oil.

Draining them is just as easy hanging them at an angle for a couple days correct?

Also was looking at lowering blocks, they have some on the Bay that are 1-3 inch adjustable. Anyone use them? Also would 3 inches be too low? I know the shock are an inch longer, but really like the lower look.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:11 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

blue mines lowerd 3 inchs no problem at all it almost seems stock to me !

build a rig

drain the oil out of them and refill them with heaver shock oil. AMSOIL Shock Therapy 10wt. 10 oz would be standard..

- remove the air line

- place the shock upside down in a jig.
- pump the shock several times to empty the existing oil
- turn the shock right side up
- insert funnel in tubing and pour new oil into funnel
- gently pump shock to force air up through tubing and funnel and allow the vaccum to pull oil back into shock.
- mount shock back on bike, replace air fitting with thread sealer, or teflon tape trim air hose and insert back into air fitting.

i will post some1 else rig i found online one minute

Last edited by elfnyc; 11-10-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:12 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Old 11-10-2014, 04:14 PM
jandy2640
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluemsp4
Just got the shocks in, box had a bunch of oil in it, so looks like I have no choice but to drain them then refill with oil.

Draining them is just as easy hanging them at an angle for a couple days correct?

Also was looking at lowering blocks, they have some on the Bay that are 1-3 inch adjustable. Anyone use them? Also would 3 inches be too low? I know the shock are an inch longer, but really like the lower look.
Yep just turn them upside down to drain. I refilled mine using a flavor injector syringe. I used 1.75" Tamarack lowering blocks. 3" would be too low. Don't go cheap on the lowering blocks.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:41 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jandy2640
Yep just turn them upside down to drain. I refilled mine using a flavor injector syringe. I used 1.75" Tamarack lowering blocks. 3" would be too low. Don't go cheap on the lowering blocks.

dont think im going to eat turkey at your house lololol

dont let the wife know hahaha

Old 11-10-2014, 08:22 PM
bluemsp4
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Elf what lowering blocks did you use? How does it ride? Ever bottom out or anything?

Also if the shocks are 1" longer wouldn't using a 3" lowering block really only be lowering it 2"?

These are the ones I am talking about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-10-11-12-...aec311&vxp=mtr

Old 11-11-2014, 06:36 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Ive read of several guys having those lowering blocks crack. Get the good ones from DK. I put 1.5" lowering blocks on and they do bottom out when heavily loaded and pumped up to 25psi. Ive got some 1" blocks Im going to switch to......when I get around to it.

Quick Reply: Air Shocks