Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 04:48 PM
bluemsp4
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Shocks

Just bought a set of used Street Glide air shocks of ebay for $49 shipped. Just had a couple questions.

Since they are used how do I make sure they are functioning properly? i.e. no oil loss or anything like that.

Also they don't have hoses, and I saw you can install a Schrader valve, was wondering how hard that is and if there's any tricks so that oil doesn't leak out.

What's the best(cheap) shock pump to get and what's the correct PSI? I am right around 200lbs

thanks

Old 10-28-2014, 05:05 PM
twincam883883
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully the seller put brass plugs in the air line holes so no oil leaked out. It's complicated to drain it all out and refill.
One my Sporty a few years back I picked up a couple schrader valves at an auto parts store and just inflated the shocks individually with a Harley shock pump. Riding solo you may find that zero air pressure will work fine.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:17 PM
bluemsp4
Cruiser

The have the stock valve in them it looks like, the ones with the red connectors, so hopefully none of the oil leaked out. I was just wondering how I could double check it?

Twincam, is the install of the Schrader valves pretty easy and straightforward?

Also they are 12", if I ride with zero psi, does it lower the bike? I like the lowered look. I'm also guessing I could get some lowering blocks. Could I go with 2" lowering blocks with out any problems?

Old 10-28-2014, 05:18 PM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^Like mentioned hopefully the seller plugged them before shipping.

You don't have to run lines but can run regular schraeder valves, they're around $3 each at pretty much any auto parts store. Probably best to go in with part number as most auto parts store goons will have no idea what a schraeder valve even is. Remove the plugs, install valves. That's it.

As for a pump most people just stick with the HD brand pump. It's not very expensive and is made for the low PSI.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:20 PM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Adding/subtracting air won't change their length, so no, running 0 psi won't lower the bike any. Get the pump so that you can play around with pressures and see what works best for you.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:59 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The air shocks can take any 1/8"NPT male fitting.
I used the NAPA short air tank valves # 90-294 on mine.
If the box had oil all over it , the shocks leaked some.
There's really no way to check them other than to empty and refill with your choice of fluid.
Generally the volume is 10 oz on a new fill on most touring shocks.
The Harley shock pump is really the best way to check and set the pressure , the volume is very small and the valve doesn't leak when removed.
Try no pressure first and go up 5 lbs at a time if you have some bottoming at first.
I don't run any in mine , but I'm smaller and have the 13" versions.
Mick

Old 10-28-2014, 07:55 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

I just threaded one Schrader fitting in each shock, I run 90% one up and find the ride great at zero PSI, with a passenger I ran 10 pounds and never came close to bottoming out.
The change in air pressure only makes them more resistant to compression/extension, it does not change the length.
I use a good quality bicycle pump with a fairly accurate gauge and quick disconnect connector, worked fine for the few times I've changed it.
I also bought some chrome metal valve caps, they look a lot better than the black plastic ones the valves came with.

Last edited by HOTLAP; 10-28-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:21 PM
bluemsp4
Cruiser

Thanks guys!

I don't have a lift or anything, can I install them with a small jack and just install one side at a time?

Old 10-28-2014, 09:48 PM
twincam883883
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluemsp4
Thanks guys!

I don't have a lift or anything, can I install them with a small jack and just install one side at a time?
If they are a different length than the shocks that are on there now you will need to remove both old shocks before you can fit one of the new ones. So you will need to be able to support the bike enough to take weight of the rear wheel.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:01 AM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

I ran a gauge so I could see pressure and watch no leaks.

Quick Reply: Air Shocks