Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm about to buy new iron 883... but,

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 09:13 PM
YammyBase
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Default I'm about to buy new iron 883... but,

I’m in the Australian market for urban cruiser and shortlisted my next future bike to HD sportster iron 883 & Yamaha Bolt Spec-R

After researching online review and test riding both bikes I have decided to go with 883 if I could resolve couple of my concerns,

-reliability : would HD have reliability issue compared ever so reliable yamaha?
-Front & rear suspension: is there a way to soften the suspension that HD will recognise and not void warranty?
-ground clearance: again, is there way to shift foot pegs keeping the HD factory look that HD will recognise and not void warranty?
-brake: would better branded brake pads change how they bite?

I want that extra comfort but most of all I don’t want to change , swap anything that wont void warrenty.

Thanks guys please help me out getting into my first Harley Davidson.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:49 PM
goblue90
Road Master
Received 334 Likes on 193 Posts

I was faced with the same decision-making dilemna mid-summer when I got the itch to get back into riding. I test rode both the Bolt and the 883 and found the Bolt to be more comfortable and had better ground clearance, but was leaning towards the 883. Nonetheless, coming off of liter bikes (Yamaha R1, CBR 900RR, VTR1000), I knew I wasn't going to be satisfied with either the Bolt or 883 for long, which is when I decided to test ride a Harley Sportster 48. I test rode a '14 model and knew that the 48 was the bike for me, so I searched the classifieds, Craigslist, etc. and ended up buying a '10 model with only 3K miles on it. Regarding voiding the warranty? I modify almost everything I drive/ride, so I can't help you there. I understand some HD dealers in the States are sticklers when it comes to warranties and mods... don't know how the HD dealers in Australia are.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:11 PM
YammyBase
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by goblue90
I was faced with the same decision-making dilemna mid-summer when I got the itch to get back into riding. I test rode both the Bolt and the 883 and found the Bolt to be more comfortable and had better ground clearance, but was leaning towards the 883. Nonetheless, coming off of liter bikes (Yamaha R1, CBR 900RR, VTR1000), I knew I wasn't going to be satisfied with either the Bolt or 883 for long, which is when I decided to test ride a Harley Sportster 48. I test rode a '14 model and knew that the 48 was the bike for me, so I searched the classifieds, Craigslist, etc. and ended up buying a '10 model with only 3K miles on it. Regarding voiding the warranty? I modify almost everything I drive/ride, so I can't help you there. I understand some HD dealers in the States are sticklers when it comes to warranties and mods... don't know how the HD dealers in Australia are.
good point. I come from yamaha fz1n.. naked R1.. so yes you are right I will never be satisfied with either..

How do you find ground clearance and harsh suspension? If I could those two things would be the first thing that id change..
Are you living with it? or did some mods?

cheers

Old 10-29-2014, 10:38 PM
goblue90
Road Master
Received 334 Likes on 193 Posts

The rear suspension was one of the first things I changed... went with Progressive 412s. I plan on upgrading the front springs over the winter.

Originally Posted by YammyBase
good point. I come from yamaha fz1n.. naked R1.. so yes you are right I will never be satisfied with either..

How do you find ground clearance and harsh suspension? If I could those two things would be the first thing that id change..
Are you living with it? or did some mods?

cheers

Old 10-29-2014, 11:15 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

The beautiful thing about a Harley, is you can do anything you want. Softer ride, harsher ride, slammed to the ground or 13" shocks for clearance. Lots of different saddles and handlebars, as well as forward foot controls, mids and aftermarket rear-sets. Changing all that **** is some of the fun. If you want built-in foot peg adjustment, say 10mm that way or the other, you're not gonna get that with Harley controls. Harley's rear brake and shift levers do have some positioning adjustment. I hear rumors that adjustable hand levers are available in the aftermarket, but I have never actually seen them on a Harley. You can get different brake pads, brake lines or add a second brake disc to the front. I believe new Sportsters have an ABS option.
In the States, if the part you installed isn't related to the part that failed, your warranty can't be denied. Its called the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. Couldn't say what they do in Australia.
Harley's dependability is far, far greater than its AMF years (over 30 years ago) and I think people perpetuate the myth because they don't know wtf they're talking about and don't get it.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:23 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

If metric bikes are so good, why are their shops full of bikes and the mechanics busy?

Old 10-29-2014, 11:43 PM
Zanejjnelson1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
If metric bikes are so good, why are their shops full of bikes and the mechanics busy?
Have you been to your local Harley dealership? Mine is always SUPER busy, but supposedly Space Coast Harley is one of the larger dealerships in Fl so maybe thats why?

Honestly I think a new seat goes a long way to making the bike the most comfortable right off the bat, but I really don't find my 48 to be super uncomfortable as it currently sits more or less stock aside from bars and seat.

The 48 still has awesome pickup, not top speed crazy like an R1, but you can certainly hit 120 still just not as fast as a sport bike but still plenty fast. Around town and through twisties 30-60 mph the bike accelerates and hugs the road great for me at least.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:17 AM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Hey Yammybase, how you doing? welcome to the boards.
I have always wanted to travel to AUS, specially in Jan when the AUS Open is going on in Melbourne.

Regarding your concerns...just like you and goblue90, I was looking at Bolt and Iron, and before that even at Honda shadow Phantom. I didnt have my license yet so I never got to test drive any of the bikes. One day I saw a 48 in the showroom and I had to have it. Found one with low miles and brought it home.
I personally dont think anything is wrong with the brake or the suspension. The only reason I would ever make any changes to the shocks would be for 2 up riding.
The clearance has never been an issue either but of course it depends on type of riding you do. For me, the look of the bike comes first so I have to say I am partial to 48.
Oh yes, I put on a mustang seat ...

Last edited by OddJack; 10-30-2014 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:07 AM
Eisentreiber
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

G'Day, YammyBase,

I came to decide for a Sportster after test-riding the 1200 and 883 over three weeks on a US Southwest tour. Wife and I rented bikes out of Las Vegas, and they just happened to have the 1200 and 883. So we swapped bikes back and forth, and no doubt, IMO the 1200 is the way to go. Nuffin' beats torque, and there is no replacement for displacement. The 1200 have so much more punch, you'll need a bigger helmet to make room for your big, fat grin. 883 has max. torque at 3700 rpm, 1200 has great torque at 3200 rpm.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:09 AM
MikeLaPlaya
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

hi there , i made the decision for the Iron 883 , but where i ride there are very few places to really open it up , first get the dealer to do as much as you want to the bike , remember the HD warranty is a GLOBAL warranty ...also get the digital oil temp and level , try to check your oil level by yourself . Then ride for 6 months and see what you want to do ..enjoy it ...

Quick Reply: I'm about to buy new iron 883... but,