Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member, which Sportster to get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 10:54 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,618 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Gearbox failure... pretty rare on sportsters, they've been Harley's most reliable design, except for that clutch spring plate, and it's easy enough to get rid of.

Micamac - Just take each bike out on a highway at 70 or more for a few miles, that'll probably make up your mind for you. As you can tell from the replies, opinions really vary on models and styles, you'll just have to determine what you like. I prefer carbs and wish they'd never stopped putting on kick starters (except for efi bikes, wouldn't work anyway with a dead battery); obviously that's not a real common opinion in the Harley community.

Last edited by Imold; 10-30-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:06 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

personally, I would buy the older one, but they are not that much different, I would say go with your heart, the mileage difference is a small part of the choice..Maybe if you go back and talk to both owners you can get one to come down on the price and that will make the choice easier...One thing I would like to throw out there is that the rubbermount bike is easier to get a new exhaust for, it seems that the solidmount bikes are getting harder to find aftermarket parts for,, and that the choices are more limited on them...

Old 10-30-2014, 12:50 PM
micamac
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for all the replies, Imold raises another question for me:
Originally Posted by Imold
'04 and up are rubber mounted engines, much smoother ride. Personally, I wouldn't like the shorter, lower handlebars on the '03, but bars are individual taste. My '04 (and every 1200 Custom I've looked at) has a cast real wheel standard; that '05 has a spoke wheel.
OK, I can change the handlebars if I get the '03 - should be easy enough.
But regarding the wheel on the '05, I did not know that cast rear wheels were standard. Did any 05's have spokes on the rear, or does this mean that the wheel was definitely switched at some point?

Old 10-30-2014, 01:04 PM
micamac
Novice

Right now the votes are: 4 in favor of the '03; and 3 in favor of the '05, and Odd Jack says get a 48! I am also leaning to the '03, but are they hard to get parts for? As mrfikser points out:
Originally Posted by mrfikser
....One thing I would like to throw out there is that the rubbermount bike is easier to get a new exhaust for, it seems that the solidmount bikes are getting harder to find aftermarket parts for,, and that the choices are more limited on them...
This is going to be my first Harley, I'm stocked about it.
Any recommendations for good aftermarket sources for the '03?

Old 10-30-2014, 02:22 PM
beckysdlx
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go for the 03- Anniversary bike.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:21 PM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Is that a dent in the upper right corner of the tank of the 03. Buddy of mine has the same bike, same dent too. Don't let that keep you from buying it. My buddies 03 always beats my 08, not by much.

Last edited by Curt1953; 10-30-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:45 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,618 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Originally Posted by micamac
Thanks for all the replies, Imold raises another question for me:
Personally, I wouldn't like the shorter, lower handlebars on the '03, but bars are individual taste. My '04 (and every 1200 Custom I've looked at) has a cast real wheel standard; that '05 has a spoke wheel.
OK, I can change the handlebars if I get the '03 - should be easy enough.
But regarding the wheel on the '05, I did not know that cast rear wheels were standard. Did any 05's have spokes on the rear, or does this mean that the wheel was definitely switched at some point?
Cast wheels were standard on the rear. Here's a bunch of pics of '03 sporsters, no spoke wheels on the rear on the 1200 Customs and Anniversary models.

https://www.google.com/search?q=2003...on%3B400%3B284

I didn't realize till I looked at those pics that the Anniversary issue isn't completely based on the custom; has the chrome and the big single piece handlebar riser from the custom, but has the smaller peanut gas tank, didn't notice that in the pic you posted. The custom has a 4.5 gallon tank, don't know if the other one has the 2.something or 3.3 gallon tank, but it's smaller; probably wouldn't be going much over 100 miles between gas stations - if that far.

That lower handlebar is stock on the Anniversary issue, so it looks like that bike is pretty much stock; I didn't know about the different handlebar till I looked up the pics. The '05 Custom has a different wheel and mufflers, at least. Not necessarily bad; I'd guess more Harleys get some modifications than not. Mine do...

Here's a pic that shows the Anniversary model's rear wheel and bars better. That's not the stock air cleaner, though.

My '04 1200 Custom, same color as the '05? Different mufflers and a Harley "Pillow Look" seat, stock one was a misery for me. It also has a wider and more padded passenger section, daughter says it's way more comfy than stock. There are many styles of seats to choose from, but you have to be careful about getting one that fits; there's a lot of non-interchangeable seats for different sportster models.

One more thing - Zooming in on the tires on those bikes, they both look like the older style Harley Dunlop tread. If it feels like either or both bikes seem to want to follow tar snakes and pavement irregularities, that's the tires. Mine did, and putting Avons on it completely cured the wandering/wiggle tendencies, very stable and good riding bike now.

Like I mentioned before, you should check the tire dates on the sidewalls, could have a 12 year old tire and tube on the '03. I bought one bike that had a 20 year old tire on the front. That got changed in a hurry...

Old 10-31-2014, 12:31 AM
micamac
Novice

Thanks Becky, I am leaning in the same direction.
Originally Posted by becky1200x
I would go for the 03- Anniversary bike.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:33 AM
micamac
Novice

Originally Posted by Curt1953
Is that a dent in the upper right corner of the tank of the 03. Buddy of mine has the same bike, same dent too. Don't let that keep you from buying it. My buddies 03 always beats my 08, not by much.
Hey Curt, you know, I thought the same thing when I looked at that pic - dent in the tank. Wasn't till the owner sent me some more photos that I could see that there is NO dent there. That's good.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:58 AM
micamac
Novice

I didn't realize till I looked at those pics that the Anniversary issue isn't completely based on the custom; has the chrome and the big single piece handlebar riser from the custom, but has the smaller peanut gas tank, didn't notice that in the pic you posted. The custom has a 4.5 gallon tank, don't know if the other one has the 2.something or 3.3 gallon tank, but it's smaller; probably wouldn't be going much over 100 miles between gas stations - if that far....
Hey Imold, I read that the Anniversary tank is smaller, but it's hard to tell from the pics I posted, and even from the ones you posted above. They look the same to me. Bye the way, that's a gorgeous bike you have, congratulations. I am just drooling over these Sporty's, can't wait to get mine.

Quick Reply: New member, which Sportster to get?