Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get the bike in the garage??

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 02:21 PM
bigmant
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to get the bike in the garage??

Ok boys, I need some ideas on how to get the bike in the garage.

I have a big ol Dodge 2500 truck so the bike needs to be in and out of the way because the truck just barely fits as it is. As you can see from the pictures, there is a small niche in the wall of the garage where the bike would fit perfectly if it could go in perfectly parallel. But no matter what I do, I can't drive the bike up there. I can get it over the lip, but the *** end sticks out if you drive it in at an angle which won't allow the truck to get in.

So essentially what I need is an idea of how to move the bike in parralel and get over the lip. If there was no lip, it'd be easy. I could just use my jack and wheel it over. But alas there is indeed a lip. So what do you all think? Got any award winning ideas?

And before someone says it, I can't just put the bike in the living room. I tried. And it won't fit through the door hahaha

Old 10-30-2014, 02:32 PM
roundy
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I swear I've seen like a trolley you can put a bike on and then wheel it about freely. Get one of the those and put some concrete down to "ramp" the lip and push it up into there parallel.

Found it http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-It-Mo...-/220949129444

Old 10-30-2014, 02:36 PM
crawrj
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can get it over the lip just back it into place. If not build a ramp over the lip. Or if the only way is to come straight in get it in as much as you can and jack it up and wheel it straight. Obviously for the long term you would want to build a little ramp so you can just back it right in place. It would be a pain to jack it up all the time.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:56 PM
davekra
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll almost certainly need a ramp of some sort.
What if you took one of these dolly's
http://www.harborfreight.com/low-pro...lly-95896.html
and secured one end so it could pivot and end up angled towards the garage door.
You'd pull the end of the dolly out then drive the bike on to it. Then push the back of the bike up the ramp to end up where you want it.
I like this option better because you're not trying to balance the bike at the same time you're pushing it like you'd be doing in the option below.

Along the same lines would be one that just fits under the rear wheel
http://www.harborfreight.com/1250-lb...lly-61917.html
Get the front wheel on the platform then again with a ramp put the dolly under the back and push it into the space.

If this is something that you'll use daily your needs are different than if it was only for long term storage.

Attached Thumbnails How to get the bike in the garage??-dolly.jpg   How to get the bike in the garage??-stand.jpg  
Old 10-30-2014, 03:11 PM
ironhide_uk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't get you over the step but still gives you an idea

Old 10-30-2014, 03:19 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally wouldn't store my motorcycle that close to a gas water heater.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:22 PM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Build a small incline for the lip, put front tire in corner by the white bucket, do a burn out and walk the bike into the space. You're welcome.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:23 PM
78_shovel
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

build extenders for your jack so they fit under the bike but allow it to stay on the garage floor. To better give you an idea of what I mean. Make you jack a small forklift. I can try to sketch something up and pm you if you would like. Let me know.

Last edited by 78_shovel; 10-30-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:24 PM
oldwarrior
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sell the truck.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:29 PM
franktko
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 17 Posts

- Find two pieces of wood (or whatever) that are the same height as your lip (black)
- using your jack on the garage level, lift bike onto the two pieces. Bike facing outdoor so you can use the stand on the upper-ledge

- find another piece of wood (or whatever) that is the same height as your lip and wide enough that your jack will fit onto it (red)

- jack the bike and push into place

And voilą!

Quick Reply: How to get the bike in the garage??