Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canned Map vs Power Vision Basic Auto Tune

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 11:01 AM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Canned Map vs Power Vision Basic Auto Tune

I am buying a PV1, but for $200 less I could put on a canned map for my set up, which is only rush slip ons and a Figure machine 5" air cleaner.

My question to those of you who been there done that, if I am never gonna make any other mods, does it make much difference which one I go with?
The PV1 unit would be going bac in the drawer after one time use.

I am not obsessed with squeezing the last drop of hp out of the bike, I would like to fix the decel pops though, BUT, people who tuned with PV also report that they get occasional pops and report that it's inevitable to have it, occasionally.

So, what's at you?

Edit: 2011 48 with 1200 miles

Last edited by OddJack; 10-31-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:01 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by OddJack
I am buying a PV1, but for $200 less I could put on a canned map for my set up, which is only rush slip ons and a Figure machine 5" air cleaner.

My question to those of you who been there done that, if I am never gonna make any other mods, does it make much difference which one I go with?

I am not obsessed with squeezing the last drop of hp out of the bike, I would like to fix the decel pops though, BUT, people who tuned with PV also report that they get occasional pops and report that it's inevitable to have it, occasionally.

So, what's at you?

I've done both, and am much happier with how the bike runs with a PV basic auto-tune. I think you will be also.

Decel pop is not so much a matter of a good tune vs. a bad tune, but more a matter of exhaust configuration.

Decel popping does Not damage your engine...it is simply unburnt fuel that is burning in the exhaust tract after exiting the engine.

Decel popping occurs when one of two things are present.

1. The bike is so lean the exhaust is superheated and is burning the unburnt fuel that is in the pipes (there is always some unburnt fuel in the pipes no matter how lean). This is very rare.

2. The AFR IN THE pipes is just right to burn the unburnt fuel. This is quite a common occurrence when free flowing pipes are installed (whether or not a free flow A/C is installed). It can also occur if there is an exhaust leak that is introducing extra air into the exhaust tract.

Even if you like decel pop, like some of us, it is always a good idea to check for exhaust leaks.

Also, check for intake leaks at the air cleaner and at the intake manifold/heads.

Another way to change the AFR IN THE Pipes is to install Thunder Torque Inserts.

If you don't like decel pop, and don't want to change the AFR in the pipes by changing the baffles or adding Thunder Torque Inserts....

It is absolutely possible for a tuner and someone who knows how to use it to tune the decel pop out.

HOWEVER, the methods used to tune the decel pop out of very open pipes are almost always at the sacrifice of performance and/or MPG.

An open pipe with the best performance tune is almost always going to have some decel pop. Bone stock bikes have decel pop, it is just muffled.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-31-2014, 02:07 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by OddJack

So, what's at you?

The PV is a great tool, but for your minimal requirements I think something like Fuel Moto's Micro Tuner might suit your needs.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/micro-efi-tuner.html

$199 and comes with a map for your bike and all the support you will ever need.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/harley/ef...tuner_type=106

They'll provide a map and you should be good to go.