Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

baffles for Vance and Hines short shots staggered

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 06:00 PM
deebats
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default baffles for Vance and Hines short shots staggered

Just installed Vance and Hines short shots staggered exhaust on my 04 Sporty. I also installed Vance and Hines VO2 breather. Bike sounds loud as expected but I'm considered adding quiet baffles. I was told the sound of the exhaust would be deeper and actually add more torque. My question, has anyone actually installed vance and hines quiet baffles? How quite do the pipes get? Is it worth the trouble?

Old 11-07-2014, 08:41 PM
Airframer
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

plenty of posts about this topic all over the internet, but I'll answer anyways.

I have them installed, add a little more torque though nothing to brag about, pipes are not a lot more quieter, but not embarrassing anymore "matter of opinion", have deeper tone at idle that sounds good, just slightly deeper at higher rpm's but not a huge difference.

I think it's worth the trouble, and I'll be adding more baffle within the quiet baffle some time when i have time to get them how I want since I have a welder I can use at work.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:11 PM
Madison Bill
Road Warrior

Received 1,026 Likes on 506 Posts

I have Vance and Hines short shots on my bike and before I bought them I knew they were loud but that is what I wanted my Harley to sound like. I run mine stock right out of the box and love every minute of it.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:37 PM
Ricketts
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Subscribing

Old 11-09-2014, 06:03 PM
deebats
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info everyone

Old 11-09-2014, 10:07 PM
onecoolpilot
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by deebats
Just installed Vance and Hines short shots staggered exhaust on my 04 Sporty. I also installed Vance and Hines VO2 breather. Bike sounds loud as expected but I'm considered adding quiet baffles. I was told the sound of the exhaust would be deeper and actually add more torque. My question, has anyone actually installed vance and hines quiet baffles? How quite do the pipes get? Is it worth the trouble?
Have a look at this thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-g...affle-mod.html

I did this to my shortshots on my old street bob and it mellowed the sound out a bit. I don't think it made the note deeper, but it cut out some of higher end, so it appeared to be deeper. It also cut down on the decel pop a bit. Worth a try for a few bucks.

Might or might not satisfy you, but if it does work, it's a bit cheaper than buying baffles. Also, you didn't mention any type of tune. With open pipes and a/c, you might be a bit on the lean side.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:17 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

do a search on this forum, there is a good amount of threads on this subject (one by me on how I modified my baffles)..

Old 12-19-2014, 02:54 PM
Andy Knell
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

I just installed quiet baffles in my short shots and as everyone says, there's little difference in sound. Much more mellow at idle for sure. I got them mostly to get rid of the decal popping and it seems to have noticeably done that. It only took a couple of miles of riding to hear the difference. I actually ran a decibel meter app on my iPhone and put it at 5ft from the rear of the bike.

Stock V&H Baffles-
Idle at run temp- max 96dB with an average of about 93dB
2100rpm at run temp- max 99dB and average of about 98dB

Quiet Baffles
Idle at run temp- max 94dB and average of 91dB
2100rpm at run temp- max 97dB and average of about 97dB

There are plenty of videos and threads available with before and after as well as side by side comparisons but video cameras just don't quite capture the audio enough to give you a feel for it which is why I wanted to use the decibel meter. So, yeah, not much difference overall but the improvement in decal popping was what I was after anyway.