Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel stabilizers

Old 11-13-2014, 01:15 PM
mnodine
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel stabilizers

I live in NJ and was told to use marine fuel stabilizer. Is it better or can I just use the auto Stabilizer. It's for my 05 xl1200c sportster

Old 11-13-2014, 01:23 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

I think the marine stabilizer has more corrosion preventer, but it also costs more.

I've been riding for over 47 years and always used auto stabilizers such as Sta-Bil or Seafoam, always worked fine with no issues.

Also use the auto stabilizers in all my small engines like snow blowers, lawn mowers, ect. Never had any problems.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:57 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of the marine stabilizers are more friendly with older fiberglass fuel tanks used in marine craft.
The staybil or seafoam would be what I would use , they're both proven in metal tank applications.
The seafoam can clean the injectors or carb under continouos use also.
Mick

Old 11-14-2014, 04:22 AM
South JerseyJoe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sta-bil & seafoam have worked very well for many years for me. Never a problem. In NJ myself and start running Sta-bil at the end of October so I know it's mixed in well. Seafoam is every 5 fills for me. Still time for riding until the salt goes down!

Old 11-21-2014, 07:58 PM
bluemsp4
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about StarTron Fuel Treatment? I was told by a buddy to get that. Has anyone used it or is there any different effect using that over regular fuel stabilizer? I'm in VA and will be putting it away soon. Also is there any harm in riding it every once in a while if it gets above 50* or once I put it away should I not ride it until I expect to ride it regularly?

Old 11-22-2014, 12:56 AM
Ployd4
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get a nice day ride. That is the best thing for you and the bike. You might want to keep the battery tender hooked up to a charger so it's ready to go. I always hear people rave about seafoam. I ordered a few bottles the other day. I usually use sta bil.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:06 AM
bluemsp4
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I plan on getting a battery tender. Is there a big benefit to taking the battery out and charging it or is it the same if leave it in the bike and hook it up to the quick disconnect it already has?

So your saying the StarTron is pretty good?

What I'm getting from what I read about winterizing is the reason you don't start is because of the condensation build up and if you just start it for a little and then turn it off that can be harmful. But if you start it and ride it for a while it is fine because it gets the engine hot enough that the condensation isn't an issue.
Is that somewhat right? This is my first year owning a bike and putting it away for the winter and don't want to screw anything up.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:01 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by bluemsp4
Yeah I plan on getting a battery tender. Is there a big benefit to taking the battery out and charging it or is it the same if leave it in the bike and hook it up to the quick disconnect it already has?

What I'm getting from what I read about winterizing is the reason you don't start is because of the condensation build up and if you just start it for a little and then turn it off that can be harmful. But if you start it and ride it for a while it is fine because it gets the engine hot enough that the condensation isn't an issue.
Is that somewhat right? This is my first year owning a bike and putting it away for the winter and don't want to screw anything up.
It works fine charging the battery in the bike. I would only recommend removing the battery if the bike is left outside in freezing temps over the winter.
Sta-Bil, Seafoam or StarTron all work fine for stabilizing the fuel during storage.
Your understanding of condensation is correct. If you can't ride it for AT LEAST 30 minutes, don't start it.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:32 AM
STA-BILŪ
Former Sponsor
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bluemsp4

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry for digging up an old thread but found this searching and wanted to help clear up some confusion for the future.

One of the biggest issues with condensation is from fluctuating temps during the storage months. That can be an issue when a bike, car, boat, etc is store with a less than full gas tank. The more room you leave in the tank/fuel system, the more susceptible that system is to rust & corrosion.

The best storage practice is to fill the tank about 95% full, add a high quality fuel stabilizer, and run the motorcycle for 5-10 minutes. This will ensure there is as little room as possible for condensation to form and will ensure the entire fuel system is treated and protected with the stabilizer.

As for the other posts regarding STA-BILŪ Products, STA-BILŪ Marine can absolutely be safely used in any 2- or 4-cycle equipment and is an extremely effective ethanol treatment/stabilizer. The difference between that and our traditional STA-BILŪ Storage product is that Marine has a much higher concentration of our ethanol treatment package (fuel system cleaning and rust & corrosion inhibitors). To store gas with Marine I would just suggest doubling the dose.

When using additives, be wary of far reaching claims. the best additives make few claims that treat specific issues. In general, the more claims an additive makes, the less likely it is to perform any one of those claims well.

Please let me know if you have any other questions/comments.

Have a great day!

Old 01-21-2015, 09:47 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Star-tron in the bike. Stabil goes in the mower and mower gas

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel stabilizers