Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going crazy - ABS and apes

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 03:59 PM
PatoConcha
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Going crazy - ABS and apes

Hello guys,

I own a 2014 ABS Iron 883 and i want to go for 12" or 14" apes.

The thing is that no one seems to know how to deal with the ABS part of the project, and seems the only solution is to buy ABS lines from Sportster 72 but that put me on max of 10" apes only ...

Anyone here that would recommend what to do ?.

thanks !

Old 11-19-2014, 11:36 PM
Ployd4
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not familiar with an ABS bike. Why does having ABS limit your handlebar height? Next time I'm at the dealer I will have to look at one.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:26 AM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts

You can buy any length of universal brake line you want from Goodridge or Magnum and get the propper banjo fittings to attach to the abs module and the master cylinder. I used a goodridge line on my Slim when I installed the 16" apes. Bleed the brakes with a vac bleeder and then have the abs reset by the dealer...only 1/2 hour labor.

The following users liked this post:
Jayyram (03-21-2020)
Old 11-20-2014, 04:43 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

There are only brake lines, not ABS brake lines and non ABS brake lines. Buy the bars you want and then get lines from whoever you choose. Magnum comes to my mind if I were looking for something other than stock.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:33 PM
FLS103
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
There are only brake lines, not ABS brake lines and non ABS brake lines. Buy the bars you want and then get lines from whoever you choose. Magnum comes to my mind if I were looking for something other than stock.
Not true. Magnum even list ABS and non ABS seperate. The ABS module splits the brake line into an upper and a lower.
Magnum requires you to buy upper and lower ABS lines at a very high cost...unless you go with the universal for the upper. If you buy their ABS upper, you have to buy their ABS lower. As I said, use the universal and banjo fitting for the upper and keep your stock lower...MUCH less $$$...same result.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:48 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by PatoConcha
Hello guys,

I own a 2014 ABS Iron 883 and i want to go for 12" or 14" apes.

The thing is that no one seems to know how to deal with the ABS part of the project, and seems the only solution is to buy ABS lines from Sportster 72 but that put me on max of 10" apes only ...

Anyone here that would recommend what to do ?.

thanks !
I had the exact same problem months ago. Wanted 14" apes on an ABS bike. HD and all aftermarket companies did not have a brakeline that would work.

I went to a local brake line fabricator. He was able to remove the non-standard fittings/banjo line angles from the existing line and install them on the longer ABS brake line.

It has worked fine for the last 6 months.

Warning, he did say that there was no guarantee that he could remove the fittings without damaging them (so that he could reuse them). But I wanted those bars, so if he had damaged one of them, I would have had to purchase another stock line so he could give it another go.

At the time I was looking, LA Choppers had the biggest selection of lines...you might try them before getting one custom made.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-21-2014, 04:27 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by FLS103
Not true. Magnum even list ABS and non ABS seperate. The ABS module splits the brake line into an upper and a lower.
Magnum requires you to buy upper and lower ABS lines at a very high cost...unless you go with the universal for the upper. If you buy their ABS upper, you have to buy their ABS lower. As I said, use the universal and banjo fitting for the upper and keep your stock lower...MUCH less $$$...same result.
I stand corrected.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:45 AM
PatoConcha
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm attaching 2 pics where you can see this little box that manage the ABS lines.

Any step by step explanation on how to proceed ?, maybe my English is not very good. I wrote to all the alternatives mentioned here and I received replies saying that they don't have a solution for going for apes on my ABS sportster ...

Thanks guys

Attached Thumbnails Going crazy - ABS and apes-20141121_124027.jpg   Going crazy - ABS and apes-20141121_124022.jpg  
Old 11-21-2014, 10:50 AM
Ployd4
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like DK said have your upper cable extended at a local hydraulic hose shop. I don't have ABS but that is what I did on my bike. I took my front brake line in and they cut out the stock rubber section and crimped in another longer piece. Pressure tested it and I was good to go. With the fittings and crush washers it was about $30. I think you are making it more complicated than it needs to be. You probably need a service manual for the brake bleeding process. There are lots of threads here about bleeding brakes. It can be a pain to remove all the air.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:44 PM
FLS103
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by PatoConcha
I'm attaching 2 pics where you can see this little box that manage the ABS lines.

Any step by step explanation on how to proceed ?, maybe my English is not very good. I wrote to all the alternatives mentioned here and I received replies saying that they don't have a solution for going for apes on my ABS sportster ...

Thanks guys
PM me and I will walk you through using a universal and banjo fittings...very simple

The following users liked this post:
Jayyram (03-21-2020)

Quick Reply: Going crazy - ABS and apes