Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I feared this would happen.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:04 PM
170-3tree
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I feared this would happen.

Well it's been cold here for a couple weeks now, I'm missing the ride, despite buying some cold weather gear, I haven't been able to deal with the cold enough first thing in the morning to just ride to work. Yeah I'm a pansy, but oh well. ANYWAYS, now I'm craving a trip come summer.

Got a couple guys together saying they'd be interested in going out a ways this may or june, so we will. I think our target is Arizona for a week, thinking we can each get about ten days off work collaborated. Its a long way off so I'm stil dealing with exact routing and company, however I am certain it will be at least two bikes, and my friend in his car as he doesn't own a bike or really have any interest in it, but is interested in taking his car out on some twisties, as that's what its built for.

So basically I'm looking for advice on setting up the bike for my journey.
So far I have done a full stage one upgrade, have a more comfortable seat and a car that will be hauling fuel and luggage for us.

I'm looking at spending under $1000 on the bike. So far my list includes
1)a windshield/faring, looking at the Gauntlet quick detatch, but not sure If it'd be full enough to add the comfort needed.
2) new Grips and pegs to reduce vibration on my body.

Now is where I'm unsure and need the most help. I have over half the life of my OEM scorchers left on the bike, but don't know if my money would best spend on some better, more comfortable tires or some slightly taller, more comfortable shocks that will increase my confidence in the curves and comfort on the highway.

bike is a 2013 48 and I'm open to all suggestions you can supply.
Thanks everyone!!!

Old 11-20-2014, 02:03 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Since you have plenty of time, start checking Craigslist for deals on parts you may need for the trip. Also keep a eye on the classifieds here as well as Ebay and Craigslist in towns you might travel to.
I have found many great deals on stuff in other cities while visiting friends or relatives.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:24 PM
3bc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are adventurous doing a long trip on the 48. Not just a comfort thing but fuel. Do you (or anyone for that matter) have any suggestions on how to easily map a long trip on a bike with crap fuel economy to account for regular fill ups? I guess you can always have a gas can in your buddy's trunk...

I would think shocks and seat would do a lot more to make the ride bearable than tires, grips and pegs, but I have yet to personally make any of those changes so that is all speculation.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:47 PM
170-3tree
Advanced

I have been checking all my buying facets and not turning up much in the bargain category, but not giving up yet.

as far as the length of trip, and fuel economy, I get a between 60-75 miles to the fuel light, and have three route options for my trip. one of which is touchy for having frequent fuel stop possibilities. the other has stops between 5-25 miles and I believe two that are closer to fifty mile stretches. I have a comfortable seat, looking into a tunnel bag that can double as a back rest.

A windshield will help my back from fighting winds at highway speeds.
Basically I'm dealing with chosing between getting tires and finding some shocks that I won't end up wanting to replace after 3k of riding.

The option to just trailer the bikes down to our destination is still in deep consideration, as I don't want to get down there and be too worn out to wake up and ride around everywhere I want to check out. Or take a trailer to haul on the second leg of the trip.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:33 PM
SoulArmored
Cruiser

I have a Genuine HD Quick Detach Sissy Bar and Front Fork Bag if interested. http://xlforum.net/pp_classified/sho...1&cat=4&page=1

Old 11-20-2014, 06:01 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by 170-3tree
Well it's been cold here for a couple weeks now, I'm missing the ride, despite buying some cold weather gear, I haven't been able to deal with the cold enough first thing in the morning to just ride to work. Yeah I'm a pansy, but oh well. ANYWAYS, now I'm craving a trip come summer.

Got a couple guys together saying they'd be interested in going out a ways this may or june, so we will. I think our target is Arizona for a week, thinking we can each get about ten days off work collaborated. Its a long way off so I'm stil dealing with exact routing and company, however I am certain it will be at least two bikes, and my friend in his car as he doesn't own a bike or really have any interest in it, but is interested in taking his car out on some twisties, as that's what its built for.

So basically I'm looking for advice on setting up the bike for my journey.
So far I have done a full stage one upgrade, have a more comfortable seat and a car that will be hauling fuel and luggage for us.

I'm looking at spending under $1000 on the bike. So far my list includes
1)a windshield/faring, looking at the Gauntlet quick detatch, but not sure If it'd be full enough to add the comfort needed.
2) new Grips and pegs to reduce vibration on my body.

Now is where I'm unsure and need the most help. I have over half the life of my OEM scorchers left on the bike, but don't know if my money would best spend on some better, more comfortable tires or some slightly taller, more comfortable shocks that will increase my confidence in the curves and comfort on the highway.

bike is a 2013 48 and I'm open to all suggestions you can supply.
Thanks everyone!!!
For comfort a good spring seat is hard to beat. You can get anywhere from 1.75" to 2.5" extra travel out of the seat. They are easy to install, gives a better ride, a unique look, and you can go back to stock anytime you want (easily) to ride two-up. Link to SPRING SEATS

Take off air shocks from a Touring Model are much more comfortable than the stock shocks.

If you get some adjustable pegs and heel rests, you'll wonder how you ever would want to ride without them again...it is hard to describe how much more comfortable they are.

Link to many options of those HERE

Here is a pic of the set-up I'm running on my Sporty-so many foot positions, so much more surface area that the pressure is spread out over.

I know a lot of people are down on the Kuryakyn brand products, but I really like their ISO grips.

Even a small windshield will cut a lot of air, preventing the parachute effect. They can be had off ebay for around $50-$75.

In the pic below you can see I had a stuff sack bungeed to my front forks, just that kept enough air off me to avoid most of the parachute effect.

Here's a pic of my Sporty loaded up for a couple thousand mile trip....was carrying everything I needed, plus some parts I was delivering, plus a laptop computer!

I'm 56 and a bit of metal and a lot of broken bones, and I was more comfortable on my sporty than a lot of guys on baggers were on this trip.

Have a great trip!!!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-21-2014, 07:44 PM
Scotty2
Intermediate

Dk I like your primo pedals u have advertised. Are they comfy and not too big to scrape on floor plz ? Could u also post to England thanks

Old 11-21-2014, 09:31 PM
170-3tree
Advanced

Thanks for the info dk, I have been checking out the iso line of pegs and grips. Started second guessing the stock handle bars, but honestly, I really do like them enough. Maybe just try a short pullback riser for a short trip.

The rsd Bob job seat is a day seat for me, in that it's not been the source of discomfort since installed.

I think I'm gonna rock the gauntlet fairing on the bike, as I can just pop it off and I like the look.

Suspension is weird for me, I started looking at 412 series shocks and decided that if I'm going to drop a dime in that category, I'm going to go all the way with out skimping. Which means ricors front and rear or ricors front and works rear. But that'll be a $1500 bill on its own.

I'm still on the fence with upgraded tires, but I don't wanna scrap tires with half their life left or Better.

Question though, can you run that "ride-on" stuff in a tube tire? I've got a slight misbalance in my front wheel that I just can't pinpoint with a 2.5 gram weight.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:48 PM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need:

1. A windshield;
2. Decent shocks; and
3. A good seat.

We did a 1,864 mile trip a couple of years back (it's becoming one of those "remember the time" stories I'm afraid). I had stock pegs, stock dunflops; the HD vintage grips on mini ape hangers; the HD detachable windshield, Sundowner seat and the stock 13.5 inch shocks (which I've never bottommed out). The only problems I had was not being prepared for the cold and bad inflammation in my throttle hand wrist (probably me being unfit).

Best would be to keep taking her on long day rides and seeing how you feel. This will give you an idea of the shortcomings.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:41 PM
Brukus Motorcycle Parts
Former Sponsor
Default Lowest Prices of the Year on Brukus Products.

Just in case you need any Brukus products for your trip, we have them all at the best prices of the year! All products are 15% to 20% off thru Cyber Monday!

And feel free to share these prices.

Click Here for ALL Sale Products!

~ WingShields ~ $99.95!
Save $20! Our WingShields are regularly $119.95! Take advantage of this limited time offer!
WingShields for Harleys! $20 Savings!

~ Brukus BootShield! ~ $66.95!
Regularly $79.95 - NOW $66.95! Lowest Price ever!
BootShields for Harleys!

~ KickShoe - $89.95! ~
Regularly $99.95! Limited quantity available to ship as of December 1st! If you have been waiting for our KickShoe to be available, you will WANT to purchase now.
KickShoe for Harley Touring Bikes 2007 and Later!

~ SaddlebagSecure for Harleys - 23.95! 20% Savings!

~ SeatSecure Single Bolt Polished Stainless/Chrome! $38.95! 15% Savings!

~ SeatSecure Single Bolt Gloss Black! $38.95! 15% Savings!

~ SeatSecure Single Bolt Matte Black! $38.95! 15% Savings!

~ SeatSecure Double Bolt Polished Stainless/Chrome! $67.95! 15% Savings!

~ SeatSecure Double Bolt Gloss Black! $67.95! 15% Savings!

~ SeatSecure Double Bolt Matte Black! $67.95! 15% Savings!

~ Tourpack Bullet Secure for Harley Detachables! $33.95! 15% Savings!

~ ShieldShackle Secures Detachable Windshields on Harley Road Kings and Switchbacks! $59.45! 15% Savings!

~ ShieldShackle Secures Detachable Windshields on Harley Softail Models! $55.20! 15% Savings!

~ Brukus Hardbag Defender - $69.95 - CLOSE OUT SPECIAL! ~
Secure your lids on your Harley Touring Bike Hardbags with the Brukus HardbagDefender! We are discontinuing this product and now have reduced it to $69.95! Limited Product available.