Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 11:32 AM
bluemsp4
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Harper
Yes it does. Good idea from mkfikser about trying to extract the porcelain piece with a shop vac. You might be able to wedge a large flat screwdriver in and turn the threaded part out slowly.

John
I called the dealer and he said the new ones don't come with them, but I swear the one I put on looked exactly like the one I took off.

I think I'm going to pull it off and check then put it back on then just top off the oil, I have some left over.
Is there any harm in this? The bike hasn't been started since I changed the oil. Also should I pull the drain plug again for a second to make sure there isn't air down there, which I've already done or is that necessary since I've already done it.

Ripsaw your suck a jerk!! haha just messing with ya. I actually looked into taking a class but there wasn't in the area, even asked a shop if I could be the shop b*tch and work for free just to learn how to work on bikes but they said they couldn't. I think it is much more rewarding learning how to do it yourself, until you jack it all up. ha

Old 11-25-2014, 11:55 AM
bluemsp4
Cruiser

Just talked to a guy at Harley and he said the filter comes with the rubber gasket. I also wiped underneath the filter around 9:30 this morning and just check and there is no sign of oil leaking. I've changed my cars oil before and also brakes and exhaust, but since breaking the plug I'm second guessing most of what I did last night.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:08 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,126 Posts

There is a rubber seal on the Harley oil filters, I just put one on last week. Since you haven't started the engine, there is no reason for any oil to leak out.

What drain plug are you talking about? I think your engine oil tank should drain from a hose, the primary/transmission drains from a screwed in plug on the left underside of the engine. You only drain the tank and replace the filter on a Sportster, there is no reason to drain the crankcase.

John

Old 11-25-2014, 12:09 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,208 Likes on 8,363 Posts

Originally Posted by oldwarrior
Easy out gets my vote>carefully, and you say you were trying to torque the spark plug with a tourque wrench.
I have never used a torque wrench in all my years of working on bikes installing spark plugs. you can feel when the washer on the plug has compressed enough.
Exactly that! He shoulda` taken it to the shop.

Originally Posted by ynots
It looks like only the core was remaining on the end of your plug. If the ceramic is still in the base an easy out isnt going to slide in the base until its removed. You dont want any falling in your cylinder.

Im with oldwarior, I've never used a torque wrench on spark plugs on anything... Ever! Hopefully you didnt mix up foot pounds with inch pounds
My guess is he did get that mixed up and used foot pounds....

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 11-25-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:15 PM
bluemsp4
Cruiser

Originally Posted by John Harper
There is a rubber seal on the Harley oil filters, I just put one on last week. Since you haven't started the engine, there is no reason for any oil to leak out.

What drain plug are you talking about? I think your engine oil tank should drain from a hose, the primary/transmission drains from a screwed in plug on the left underside of the engine. You only drain the tank and replace the filter on a Sportster, there is no reason to drain the crankcase.

John
Yeah sorry by drain plug I meant the drain hose under the bike, which has a plastic plug and hose clamp holding it on. The first harley dealer I called was the closest one which I'm not too fond of, but it's where I bought the filter and the guy proceeded to try to sell me a 3 set gasket set. The second one, the one I like way more, but is pretty far away, the guy went and got one of the filters and checked for me and he said it does have the rubber seal.

If there's not leaking in a couple hour it most likely means there a seal there right?

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
My guess is he did get that mixed up and used foot pounds....
The service manual says 12-18 ft pounds for the spark plugs, had it set at about 15 ft lbs but it never clicked, so I think the wrench failed. Last time I used it was about 2 years ago on mower blades, but the torque was a lot higher.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 11-25-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:23 PM
Rollbar
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks like you have porcelain in the cylinder as well from looking at the pic. Where is the rest of the porcelain? It should on a plug, run to the bottom so the electrode doesn't ground out up inside the case. Some say, pull the other plug and turn it over to blow the porcelain out (not sure about this one).
Try to get a pair of needle nose pliers and put some electrical tape around each jaw, then put the jaws int he hole and hole them open (hard) and then turn the pliers counter clockwise-might start to back out the plug threads. Or try some lock ring pliers the when you squeeze they expand to help in the same way, but you can drive a square easy-out in there and try that.
Just a though,
Jim

Originally Posted by bluemsp4
The service manual says 12-18 ft pounds for the spark plugs, had it set at about 15 ft lbs but it never clicked, so I think the wrench failed. Last time I used it was about 2 years ago on mower blades, but the torque was a lot higher.

Maybe you didn't reset the numbers to the specified torque.

If there's not leaking in a couple hour it most likely means there a seal there right?
It is not under pressure yet-look at it after you fire it up and let it get to operating temp.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 11-25-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:42 PM
JONAS1969
Cruiser
Received 159 Likes on 66 Posts

WHOAAAAA!!!!
This a sporty that you are working on correct?
How did you drain the oil? Did you pull the primary/tranny plug as well? You DO know that you have to fill the tranny separately right? Otherwise the primary/tranny will be dry.
For God's sake man... STOP working on this poor bike if you are not completely aware of what you are doing.

--------------------

Last edited by JONAS1969; 11-25-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:42 PM
bluemsp4
Cruiser

Brought it to the shop and had them remove it.

I didn't go near the tranny/primary plug. I said earlier that it was the plastic plug that is in the drain hose for the oil. I just wasn't sure if I pulled the filter off if I should prime that drain hose again.
I pulled off the filter to double check the o-ring was there, which it was.

Still can't get over that the one guy at the harley I bought it at told me it wasn't included with the new filter and didn't bother looking.(they have an awful reputation but its close to me). The second harley I called the parts guy went and grabbed a filter and looked at it to make sure he was right, and the new filters from harley come with the o-ring, which is why it looked identical to the old one I took off. I will most likely make the trip to the further one from now on since they are always helpful.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:32 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,126 Posts

Brought it to the shop and had them remove it.

I didn't go near the tranny/primary plug. I said earlier that it was the plastic plug that is in the drain hose for the oil. I just wasn't sure if I pulled the filter off if I should prime that drain hose again.
I pulled off the filter to double check the o-ring was there, which it was.

Still can't get over that the one guy at the harley I bought it at told me it wasn't included with the new filter and didn't bother looking.(they have an awful reputation but its close to me). The second harley I called the parts guy went and grabbed a filter and looked at it to make sure he was right, and the new filters from harley come with the o-ring, which is why it looked identical to the old one I took off. I will most likely make the trip to the further one from now on since they are always helpful.
I just wasn't sure if I pulled the filter off if I should prime that drain hose again

Get yourself a service manual. Last time I primed my drain hose, my house caught fire.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 12-02-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:42 PM
nuclearnick
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still just can't figure out how those spark plugs look so old like they been in a box full of old spark plugs for years but it's a 5k service. Or was it 35k maybe?

Quick Reply: Help!!!!!!!!!!!