Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Speed/Tach Combo - 70900274

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 08:55 PM
khuenefeldt
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Speed/Tach Combo - 70900274

Got a problem that I'm hoping some of you may be able to answer. I have a 2007 Sportster 1200C, and I purchased the speedo/tach combo. Installed it and everything works fine. I did not install the fuel sensor kit, so it doesn't show up on the gauge.

The problem is: I follow the directions and I can't figure out for the life of me how to change the gauge colors. I've tried every possible combination of the key switch and holding the button, or pushing the button.

I read in a post where someone else was getting the same issue as I, and they determined the directions are wrong. The directions say to hold the trip button, and switch the key to ACCY, then release the button. If I hold the button, and move the switch to ON, all of the lights come on and the gauge illustrates "DIAG", but it won't do anything else but go into the PSSPT.

The installation document for troubleshooting says that if you can't enter the setup, then Pin #6 could be broke in the connector. I dug back in the wiring to check, and there's no issues with any of the pins.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Kevin

Old 12-18-2014, 09:16 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Press and hold the trip reset button and then turn the
ignition switch to the accessory (ACC) position.
once you turn the key release the trip button do not hold it
The gauge will display
setup

check that your trip button is working then check the connections

if your trip button toggles to miles/time/od an so on then the trip button is ok
go onto checking connections at the speedo itself

Last edited by elfnyc; 12-18-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:39 PM
khuenefeldt
5th Gear

Thanks Elfnyc

Trip reset button seems to toggle fine. The only time I actually get the settings to appear is if I cycle the key from ACCY to IGN, and then the backlight, color option will appear. It then flashes quickly 3 times, and disappears, but not nearly enough time to even cycle a color to see what it looks like.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:12 PM
khuenefeldt
5th Gear

I went back and re-clicked in the speedo cable and made sure the orientation was correct.

Same thing. If I hold the reset button and cycle the key from ASSY to IGN back and forth about the 8th time I will see "ON" or "OFF". Sometimes I see a "BRIGHT / DIM", and twice I have seen a "ALL COLORS", but each of the words will flash 3 times quickly and then the gauge turns off. I've beat my head on the wall for hours on this one.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:26 AM
khuenefeldt
5th Gear

We'll...I know what the problem is, but haven't found the solution to the fix. When the key is in the ACCY position, I get no power...it acts as if the key is in the OFF position. I checked the fuse last night, and it appeared to be fine, even put a new one in, with no change.

Looking at the wiring diagram, it appears that the accessories must work in order to get power to several devices (ie. brake switches). When in the IGN position, everything works; however, in the ACCY position nothing works. My initial thought is that the accessory wire to the speedometer is likely the problem, and that everything else with the Accessory wire is working fine. Question:

To eliminate that the problem doesn't lie in the ignition switch, I've got a question: When the key is in the ACCY position, is there any other functionality that works other than the lights on the speedometer? Do the brake lights, blinkers or horn work when the key is in the ACCY? I believe I tried the blinkers last night when the key was in the ACCY position, and they did not work. I'll have to check the horn tonight, but I want to make sure the problem is isolated to the ACCY wire going to the gauge only.

Last edited by khuenefeldt; 12-19-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:43 PM
khuenefeldt
5th Gear

I was convinced my ignition switch was bad, so I put a new one in, and it didn't solve the issue.

I dug into the wiring and finally found the problem tonight. The ignition switch has 3 wires. RED, RED W/ Grey Stripe, RED W/ Black Stripe. The manual illustrates that solid RED is +12VDC from the battery, RED w/ Grey Stripe is the ACC Power, and RED W/ Black Strip is the IGN wire. Looking behind the fuse box, I saw a solid red wire, with a large waterproof potting that transitioned to many RED w/ Black wires wired to the fuses for the instruments, power, etc.. Again, the manual shows these are all suppose to be RED w/ Black wires, so this starting setting off alarms in my head.

Turns out the factory made a mistake on the wiring. They switched the RED and the RED w/ black stripe from the ignition switch to the fuse panel. I ended up cutting the wires that I installed at the ignition switch, and reversed the wires from what the manual shows. Everything works fine now, but I'm surprised HD quality control didn't catch this mistake 7 years.

I wonder if I complain and send photos to Harley of the factory mistake, if they will compensate me for the ignition switch that I didn't really need.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:46 AM
Barrier
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Combo Tach

Lotsa luck on compensation from HD.
My son Had a bad Fuel Sensor for the same Combo Tach. Dealer said since it was self installed there was only a 1 month warranty for the part. When I ordered the same Tach Unit for my 48 I ordered a second Fuel Sensor for him as well as the one for mine. I received one Fuel Sensor and one was back ordered. Since we were going to install them at the same time we both waited. Two months went by and I then learned about the recall on this Forum. Finally received the second one and it was the revised model. I contacted Harley to have at least the one that was received replaced with the revised model. Harley said no change just revised? Call the Dealer it was ordered from. Dealer said since it was received more than 1 month ago it was out of Warranty.
So we paid for Three Fuel sensors, only one works and will have to buy another. About $280 plus S&H extra. $590. for each Tach Combo. $310 + $140= $450 for each Bike plus the two bad ones at $140 each $590. for each bike.
Expensive Speedometer/Tachometer Unit no matter how good.
Barrier

Old 03-31-2017, 01:30 PM
evydaemon
Stage I
Default Key fob

Originally Posted by khuenefeldt
Got a problem that I'm hoping some of you may be able to answer. I have a 2007 Sportster 1200C, and I purchased the speedo/tach combo. Installed it and everything works fine. I did not install the fuel sensor kit, so it doesn't show up on the gauge.

The problem is: I follow the directions and I can't figure out for the life of me how to change the gauge colors. I've tried every possible combination of the key switch and holding the button, or pushing the button.

I read in a post where someone else was getting the same issue as I, and they determined the directions are wrong. The directions say to hold the trip button, and switch the key to ACCY, then release the button. If I hold the button, and move the switch to ON, all of the lights come on and the gauge illustrates "DIAG", but it won't do anything else but go into the PSSPT.

The installation document for troubleshooting says that if you can't enter the setup, then Pin #6 could be broke in the connector. I dug back in the wiring to check, and there's no issues with any of the pins.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Kevin
hi kevin!

had the same problem - PASSPT/DIAG showing on display - but my wires are correct.

the problem was that i didn't had the key fob in reach. After getting it near the bike setup menu worked like a charm